PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed on Millrite milling machine

Rotate
05-12-2003, 11:03 PM
There's a milling machine on e-bay, which I would like your advice on.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2530068639

Is the make any good and what would be the going price for a machine like this?

Thanks.

Albert

Dave Opincarne
05-12-2003, 11:19 PM
Unless the bid stays low or you have a chance to see it in person I would be a little reserved. Not saying it's a dog but not a real find either. Capacity looks limited, and the photo is too far away to show more than it's been cleaned up. The three phase could be a problem and the converter doesn't sound like part of the deal. Standard BP/BP clone add ons may not fit either. If the price stays down and you can use a mill with less capacity or options than a BP then keep an eye on it.

mikem
05-13-2003, 01:31 AM
These millrite machines, in general, are pretty nice machines and this one comes with alot of tooling. I think that they are about 3/4 the size of a BP. You can't really tell what wear there is on the lead screws etc. because the picture can't show that from that far away. You could email the guy and ask about it. I have a manual for one of these because I was considering buying one until I found my Bridgeport and I wanted to check it out first.

Joe Bergamo at Plaza Machinery had two really nice millrites a couple of years ago. One was $2200 and one that was like new for $3250. They came with R-8 collets and a vise. Good luck--Mike.

Ed ke6bnl
05-13-2003, 04:12 AM
I have that machine mine came with 110 volt motor mine is worn some but I got it for $500. It is a great home shop machine. Very fine adj. for the spindle down feed but I would have prefered and bp type arm with a stop. good luck seems a bit steep considering shipping and the other exspenses to get it working rotory phase converter. etc. Ed ke6bnl

------------------
Ed ke6bnl
Agua Dulce, Ca.
70 mi. S.E. of Los Angeles

JCHannum
05-13-2003, 07:33 AM
The Millrite is not a bad machine. Size is good for home shop. Bridgeport attachments will not fit.
This machine does not look bad, but it is difficult to evaluate. The price is in line for a decent machine. Distance and shipping also must be considered. I would also add the cost of a VFD to the equation. It is still a reasonable buy.
You might want to ask seller why he has changed his identity (dark glasses).

ztarum
05-13-2003, 08:42 AM
DO NOT BID ON THIS MACHINE!

This guy ripped off the pictures and descriptions from another ebay auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2529105376&category=12584
The picture and even the description is the same. This person is trying to scam somone.

mikem
05-13-2003, 09:49 AM
It does look suspicious. The copy and pix are the same. Maybe you should contact eBay and alert them to a possible fraud.

You could also email the guy and confront him with the evidence and see what he says. IF you get a good story, maybe you could go look at it first before paying for the auction. Be very careful.

ztarum--very good observation. glad that someone is looking out for our friends!

Rotate
05-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks Ztarum. How did you figure this out? I'm very grateful that you pointed this out. I was a little suspicious that his count is (0). Thanks again.

Albert

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2003, 12:17 PM
Well done Ztarum this shows us all how lucky we are to have each other for advice and support well done again saved poor Albert a lot of grief by the sounds of it. Check it out albert with ebay and see what they say.Last christmas I almost bid on a new digital camcorder for my son when I came to pay the guy made some excuse about going on a trip to spain and asked me to pay the money directly into a spanish account I hesitated and he got really pushy saying I should hurry I declined then a few days later I got a very nervous email from a young girl in Germany warning me it was a fraud he was using all her details so beware. Sorry Albert but you will find something else.You are too nice a person to suffer at the hands of these rogues so luckily it was spotted .Regards Alistair

ztarum
05-13-2003, 12:31 PM
I usually look at ebay once a day, and I try and follow the smaller milling machines. I took notice of a nice looking Millrite machine and book marked it to see what it would go for. Then, a couple of days later I see another Millrite for sale. I saw the picture and realized right away that it was the same as the other one. I notified the seller of the first machine that someone had ripped off his pictures. He responded and said that he had taken it up with ebay. This was several days ago, so I'm actually surprised that it is still listed.

Alistair Hosie
05-13-2003, 07:32 PM
Ebay are very slow to react and even then very reluctant to act I have heard some horror stories.They will try everything to keep out of it that's what I have seen anyway with a few of my friends.Gotta watch them under staffed and underactive when you need them just try and contact them and see how difficult it is to get through and then get a reply that,s meaningful to your enquiry Alistair p s Albert was luckky