PDA

View Full Version : Jim Sehr's taper slide cutting tool .

jimsehr
09-17-2007, 01:44 AM
This is a slide tool I made to cut tapers when a machine has no taper att.
It swivels on a 5 inch rad like a sine plate. I can mount it in just a few min
and I made it to go on the front or back side of machine. It has a base plate
and a top slide plate. I made it from material I had on hand. Nothing is hardened as I don't think home shops will cut that many tapers to wear it out
the leadscrew is 1/2 13 threaded rod. After I cut a taper I drill and ream thru
both top and base plate and metal stamp mark the taper. So if I need to make same taper later all I do is pin the reamed hole and it is good to go.
Jim Sehr

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0005-3.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0003-9.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0001-6.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/DSCN5648-1.jpg

Mcgyver
09-17-2007, 02:12 AM
good idea Jim, looks like it works well.

BadDog
09-17-2007, 04:40 AM
Very nice, basically a taper oriented compound slide. In this case, mounted to a production cross slide.

I had an idea similar to this after looking at Frank's sine attachment for his square compound. I've never been too happy with the Rockwell compound having only, what 2.5" of usable travel, maybe 3" if you manage to use every bit of it. So why not find a longer compound, fully machined on all sides, with longer travel (at least 4", preferably 5"), maybe off a larger lathe? That, combined with Frank's sine bar would be pretty darn nice I think. The only thing missing would be power feed, and likewise the ability to do tapered threads.

R W
09-17-2007, 06:55 AM
A very useful and well constructed device

J Tiers
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
Nice.

How long is the travel? Looks to be 3", if the radius to the slot is 5".

jimsehr
09-17-2007, 02:10 PM
j tiers
The slide slide has about 5 or 6 inches travel. I made it to make a spindle sleeve for my Logan. I first turned a morse taper on a piece of stock held in a collet. Then I mounted a drill socket to the preturned taper with a lite tap to seat it to the morse taper then reset slide to the Logan taper . I did this so
od and id would be dead true. I got the tool out yesterday as I'm going to
make a Rockwell taper holder . The tool also has a few more tricks. It has a
hole thru side drilled and reamed on spindle c/l for holding a indicator to set taper. I think this is imporrtant to set true taper. Also has a .375 bored hole in tool to hold tool for boring id taper. I think I am going to build a longer top plate to get 9 or 10 inches of travel. I also make my own id collets that I lock in spindle with a taper.

Jim Sehr

PHiers
09-17-2007, 03:17 PM
Very clever Jim. Thanks for sharing.
Don't have any plans floating round do you? :cool:

jimsehr
09-17-2007, 03:35 PM
Paul, send me your email and I'll send you a drawing. As the tool was made on the machine it was designed for the c/l height is drilled and reamed from the spindle .I also made the top of the tool 1 inch higher then c/l so I can depth mic down 1 inch and know tool is right on center. Very important for cutting tapers.
Jim Sehr

Alistair Hosie
09-17-2007, 05:46 PM
Very nice job how did you manage the semicircular slot with your mill I have always wanted to know how to do this kindest regards.Alistair

BadDog
09-17-2007, 08:31 PM
Just guessing, rotary table on one that big. Smaller, might use a Volstro head or similar.

jimsehr
09-17-2007, 10:52 PM
At the time I made that 5 inch radius slot I didn't have a rotary table. So I located on the 1/2 hole and moved the plate over 5 inches . Then it was Lock, drill, move, lock, drill, move, ect and clean up with a end mill. But now I have a rotary table so that is the way to go.
Jim Sehr

jimsehr
09-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Alistair ,BadDog
I didn't have a r/t at time I made tool. So I picked one hole moved over .500
and Drilled a series of holes on a 5 inch radius. Then finished with an endmill.
Now I have a r/t so that is the way to go.
Jim

mark61
09-18-2007, 10:34 PM
Concider mounting a variable speed drill in place of the hand crank? More consistant advancement. Save you some effort.

mark61

outworken
06-15-2014, 09:44 PM
Paul, send me your email and I'll send you a drawing. As the tool was made on the machine it was designed for the c/l height is drilled and reamed from the spindle .I also made the top of the tool 1 inch higher then c/l so I can depth mic down 1 inch and know tool is right on center. Very important for cutting tapers.
Jim Sehr is there plans for this device

Old Hat
06-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Out Standing Jim.
With no heat treat (which is fine) for limited use,
be ware that if two sliding surfaces that are the same alloy and same condition
regarding heat-treat or none. It won't take much to get a tare started.

I make soft tooling using 4140 for one slide and iron or mild steel for the mating slide.
Still GREAT tool you have there.