PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck did I buy!!!!!

240GTRZ
05-11-2003, 01:47 PM
Maybe you boys could tell me if I had my head up my butt or if I really got a machine I can use. It's a CNC mill, but I've never owned one and the price seemed right so I bought it! It's a couple of hours from me so no big shipping bill. I would like some kind of feedback on what you guy think of it and where I should start to learn more about such a machine. It has a m10 control which I have no idea what that is. Here is the link to Ebay. Is this one of those more money than brains?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2530073006&category=25276&rd=1

Thanks for any and all help!!

Dan

Dave Opincarne
05-11-2003, 02:11 PM
For the price it sounds like you got a good deal. I don't know how functional it will be as a CNC given it's vintage, but as a basic mill you've got a good deal. If I had the extra cash I'd have bought it for that alone, Good job!

-Dave

Kerry.S
05-11-2003, 03:23 PM
I'd say you got a deal. And for the amount of money spent you could upgrade the control and rebuild the machine, or what ever is worn and still have a deal.
And then you could sell it down the road when you find that it no longer meets your needs and still make some money.
Kerry

ibewgypsie
05-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Check Alistairs similar mill post, I upgraded my Bridgeport machine to a PC. now I even have a joystick to cut manually. I love it. I got a materiel list somewhere.

Thrud
05-11-2003, 11:33 PM
Dan
Quite your whining - you got a great deal! Moving it will be a bitch...

Way to go - enjoy your new machine!

240GTRZ
05-12-2003, 01:23 AM
Hey guys, hope I did sound like I'm bragging about this mill. I'm really new to machining (loan officer during the day) and saw it and said that it would be great to learn to use a CNC machine. I would like to use a phase converter to run it, would this be a problem? My fancy shop ( read garage ) has a 7' garage door would it fit through the door or would I have to remove the head? Is this M10 control set-up common, I did a search and couldn't find any info about a M10
Can I up load a program to have the mill cut parts, like from a auto cad program or do I have to know how to punch in all the numbers on the key panel? Sorry to be such a newbie but I read what you guys have to say when people need help and it makes me glad to have found such a great group of guys to share this new hobby with. Any other advice, I'm all ears.

Dan

240GTRZ
05-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Thrud,
How would you move this mill?

Thanks, Dan

SJorgensen
05-12-2003, 01:29 AM
Yesterday I drove 85 miles to look at a BP series II that I would like to have. I must admit that I am a bit intimidated by the size. It is similar to yours but the weight I think is closer to 3800 lbs. It towers over 7' 3" high and occupies about 58" by 58" It definately is a serious tool and I think I could put it to good work. There are no handles on the X and Y axis so all the control apperatus must work or you won't be able to do anything. It isn't a tool for a cramped workshop either. Really heavy stuff. You can't man handle these around. You are really going to have to put some thought into the equipment, trailers, forklifts, skids come-alongs helpers tie downs ect. Quite a challenge for a home shop machinist. And the three phase power converter. I've decided to look for a partner who might have more shop space than I have.
Good luck and I hope that you share all the details of your move. I don't know where the safe lifting points are and these machines are very top heavy. The seller in my case has a small forklift that "they say" is capable of lifting it and that they can put it on a car carrier trailer. I will make sure I only become the owner once it is safely on the trailer! I may have to build a really tough skid so I can drag it off the trailer. Going down the ramps could be reeeaaallly interesting. Please clue me in to what your move is like.
Thanks,
Spence

240GTRZ
05-12-2003, 10:01 AM
Spence,

I think I'm going to rent a drop bed trailer with dual axles. A heavy skid is a good idea. I think there is going to be a bit of a pucher factor when moving this thing.

Dan

Rustybolt
05-12-2003, 10:19 AM
If you've only got 7 feet of headspace, you might want to consider a professional mover.They could lay on its back then upright it for you once its in place.

Centroid makes good stepper controllers.

jfsmith
05-13-2003, 03:25 PM
Instead of giving yourself a hernia, have a pro move it for you. It will far less and far easier that what the ER visit will cost you.

Jerry

Thrud
05-14-2003, 03:47 AM
Dan

I am too fubar to move machine myself, so I would hire a machinery mover to do it or call friends to do it - beer and pizza or BBQ can get expensive though... http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif