PDA

View Full Version : Ot: Atv

ligito
09-21-2007, 09:14 PM
I'm looking at buying a new ATV. I'm looking at Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Auto and Yamaha Grizzly 400 4x4 Auto IRS.

Are either one good choices for a sedate old man?
I've never used 4x4 before but thought it might be helpful, if needed.
My current ATV is a 1985 Quadrunner 230GE.

speedsport
09-21-2007, 09:45 PM
6 of one, half dozen of the other. Personally, I am a Honda fan.

Dawai
09-21-2007, 09:53 PM
Polaris? don't they run slower and pull better?

With what they cost they should come with a mechanic to follow you around.
In the late 80s I had one of the Honda racer 2wds, I was playing with it the first day, then it did a wheelstand in a fresh plowed field, my feet hung up in the rack on the back, it continued for about another thirty feet with my head plowing the dirt draggin me.

I spent 3 days in bed. My back injury was at it's peak then and I had no business on that rascal.

I thought, gee I can slide my 1200cc around in the road, what's a 250 gonna do?

ligito
09-21-2007, 10:00 PM
You haven't lived until you've either rolled, or flipped an ATV.
Mine went over backwards once, on a steep hill, thankfully, I'm fat enough that it didn't hurt anything.

We ride fire roads and lately desert trails.
I just want to get something with more up to date features.

My riding parnter has an Arctic Cat 250 that I rode a couple of times and thought I would buy one but now I think I'll get a 4x4.

hitnmiss
09-21-2007, 10:32 PM
Love my Honda but I agree they all seem good these days.

andy_b
09-22-2007, 01:04 AM
that's about the same model Quadrunner i used to have. we would try to run up these steep roads along the pole lines, and every now and then i'd lose it and just hop off and watch it tumble down the hill. one time i was following a friend through some water on a submerged bank between two water-filled stripmines. he told me to just follow him and that the road was plenty wide enough and not to worry about falling off. yup, famous last words. :)
next thing i know my quad is upside down floating in a stripmine. thank God i had on these huge rear tires so it would float. i had to drain everything but once it dried out it fired right up.

i eventually got an '87 Banshee. now THAT was a rocket!

the only "ATV" i own now has a mower deck under it and goes about 8 MPH.

most of the guys i still know with ATVs are running four-wheel-drive. any of the major brands are good.

andy b.

krems
09-22-2007, 07:23 AM
Suzuki Kingquad, Yamaha Grizzly, Honda Rubicon / Rincon......Flip a coin as all are good. I wouldn't be without 4x4.......of course I live in Montana and we have snow to plow and play in.

Krems

Dawai
09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
Everybody seen the 4wd trac conversions? Instant snow cat.

In the 80s I built a 900 Kawasaki 2 wheel drive 4 wheeler. Knobs on the tires lasted about ten minutes.

I overlaid the suzuki donor frame over the kawasaki frame after taking a picture, cut and stretched the suzuki front the rear half to match, imported it into autocad, then made blocks out of each overlay. THEN, I just laid in the polylines between the frames how I wanted to tie them together, measured and wrote down each line length. I used a big red honda rear axle instead of the suzuki. Used the Kawasaki shocks, the front had none.

After about ten minutes of playing on it I was bored.

Your Old Dog
09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
Here's one that goes on the block next week.

http://www.raymondswan.com/ATV/

This is a 2006 Bombardier 650 Max XT with 8 hours on it. I bought it, got hit by a car and now can't safely ride it anywhere fun.

The rubber still has the tits on the tread. Still has the breakin oil in it until it reaches 10 hours according to the dealership.

Roy Andrews
09-22-2007, 08:18 PM
I've owned yamaha, honda, suzuki and polaris. currently have a suzuki vinson 500 4X4. have belonged to a couple of clubs and been on a lot of rides. honda brings a higher price but their products seem better and tend to be more reliable and long lasting. if i were buying right now i would buy honda or the new big yamaha with power steering. a lot of people swear by polaris but i have NEVER gone on a big ride (20 or more 4wheelers) without having to fix or tow a polaris. although on a ride 2 years ago i was hit head on by a drunk on a polaris 500 sportsman 4X4. it totaled my vinson and did no damage other than plastic to the polaris. so i can give them 5 stars for frontal crash protection.

pcarpenter
09-23-2007, 12:04 AM
I owned a Kawasaki Prairie 300 4x4 and liked it OK, but it was full time 4wd making for poor turning radius.

I now own a Polaris Sportsman 700 and really like it. Even though its larger, its more nimble due to the ability to lock out the front axle. Its still a very large ATV and quite a bit heavier than competing models. Polaris builds ATV's that have lots of "tractor factor". Even the plastic seems heavier.

I have noticed 2 things: 1. Used ATV's, including some that seem to have just been beat to death go for a good percentage of the cost of a new one. I decided to buy new and I take good care of my stuff.

2. I can't really imagine that its a lot more expensive to make the very best than any of the cheaper models. I think the huge price spread is a marketing decision. More features sell for more money...and not because they cost that much more. Things that seem to increase cost are engine size, selectable 2/4wd, water cooled, independent rear suspension, and lately fuel injection. I like and have all of those features in my current ride, but for fuel injection which is handiest for guys who ride in higher altitudes. Its also nice for cold weather. I like the idea of a water cooled engine for longevity and especially if you think you would plow snow etc. My previous ride was air cooled and if can't imagine they would last as long ....especially if you ride slowly or plow etc.

Edit-- I would suggest that for a sedate old man, the IRS is a really good idea. I have back problems and have to cross plowed fields for part of the hunting season. My Sportsman 700 rides *much* nicer than the straight axled Prairie 300 I owned before.

Think carefully about what's important to you before you buy.

good luck!
Paul

lwalker
09-23-2007, 10:20 AM
I bought a used Honda Foreman 4x4 last year and would buy another in a heartbeat. My wife rolled it: she was on the edge of a steep hill and swerved to avoid the dog. The Honda went tumbling downhill, somehow she got out of the way in time and the only damage was a broken brake lever. Very well built.
I'd avoid a fully manual shifting model if only because the automatics are so much easier to use. Ours is manual with an automatic clutch.

Before purchasing I was on the edge of buying a new Arctic Cat (support my fellow Minnesotans I guess :-) but the Foreman was too good a deal to pass up. If you would consider used, this is the time to do it: many for sale at end of summer as people are getting ready to trade up to newer models.

ligito
09-23-2007, 12:30 PM
After much research (and delving into my bank account) I bought a Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 Automatic.
It has selectable 4 wheel drive, in case I ever need it.
I had to consider a neck problem, that makes me lean toward an ATV with less wheel scrub, when turning (maybe I should have gotten power steering).
One shop wanted to act like a car dealer and didn't return my call with a price, so I bought from a small dealer that cut the price $500 below the other and gave me the winch and kit (the other dealer tried to tell me how they have to pay for those winches, therefore the price has to be higher) I didn't sympathize with his plight and bought where I got the best value (Suzuki offers the free winch as an incentive to buy) and the best available service.

They said it was around $350 to install the winch on the pre-wired Eiger.
I began installing itn yesterday and can see why it costs so much, it's very labor intensive, after 6 hours (yeah, I'm old and slow) I quit for dinner. Today I will finish it off and test the winch.

I'll try it out next week to see how it works for me.

ERBenoit
09-24-2007, 11:09 AM
A friend of mine just bought one of these:

http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV/2008Navigation/Sportsman/Sportsman800EFI/

It is refered to as a Jeep with handle bars.

I still like my nimble Blaster.

Your Old Dog
09-24-2007, 11:58 AM
They said it was around $350 to install the winch on the pre-wired Eiger.
I began installing itn yesterday and can see why it costs so much, it's very labor intensive, after 6 hours (yeah, I'm old and slow) I quit for dinner. Today I will finish it off and test the winch.

I'll try it out next week to see how it works for me.

The winch is very comforting to have along on the ride. Just make sure you carry a land anchor as trees are seldom placed where you need them. I often thought it would make more sense to put the winch on the rear to get you back out of what you got stuck in!! The front gets you through it but you still need to get back thruout it one more time to get home !

Wayne02
09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
We are looking at getting an UTV or RTV or whatever they call those things for use as a farm utility vehicle around the place. I'm tired of using an atv for this application. In order to haul enough tools for the particular job you end up putting front and rear boxes on the thing (or towing a trailer which I'm not found of in our constricted woods). Then every time you go through the mount/dismount cycle you have swing your leg over the rear box. Running a fence line with an atv is a pia, having to stop every few feet then get back on etc. I end up riding the thing with my knee on the seat which gets old as well.

Looking at the kawasaki mule, polaris ranger as they have bench seats. Reportedly the mule comes in a diesel option (kubota engine) which would be nice as I could just fill up from the 200gallon farm tank. The JD gator doesn't have near enough ground clearance and the Kubota RUV is big $$$$$.

These darn things are expensive though and they have not been out that long so the used market is almost non-existent.

Other options
Old Toyota truck. Pull the doors off. These are pretty wide vehicles though...

Imported japanese mini trucks. I keep reading about these on the net but have never seen one up close

Geo tracker. I ran the numbers quickly to see what it would take to bring one of these up to off-road par with more ground clearance, tires, lockers etc and you are pretty much into UTV territory.

Old jeep????

http://www.rc-trucks.org/Kawasaki-Mule-600.jpg

http://www.rc-trucks.org/Polaris-Ranger-XP.JPG

Your Old Dog
09-24-2007, 03:43 PM
If you should opt for the kubota diesel in the end, make sure you order it with a kidney belt! My friend has one for a 5 acre flower farm and it will rattle your teeth loose. His daughter launched out the front of it when she took off across a field and came to a really quick halt in a small drainage ditch. This one of his has the dump bed and he looks like a kid playing with it. :D