PDA

View Full Version : just a small touch up needed

Alistair Hosie
09-22-2007, 06:58 PM
see here excellent bandsaw.what a nerve fit for dumpster only.The things some people think are worth money or does anything go on ebay.Alistair

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-WHEEL-BANDSAW-FOR-RESTORATION_W0QQitemZ190153480078QQihZ009QQcategor yZ42938QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

matador
09-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Be fair,Alistair.It does say"in need of restoration":).
But you've answered your own question.Anything DOES go on e-bay.There's always another sucker out there:D.

Alistair Hosie
09-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Hans it.s true we'll have to wait to see what interest it generates but for my money this has deteriorated too far for salvation.I would be the first to buy an old machine and bring it back to some form of life but I can't for the life of me see where you could start here with this.I understand that health and safety don't apply in some places were only the owner/user is himself at risk but this looks very dangerous to me even to start up.let's see shall we thanks for response Hans regardsAlistair

J Tiers
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
That saw doesn't actually look that bad to me.... possibly a bit pricey.......

The table is a non-issue. The bearings are almost certainly babbit, and can be renewed if they are that bad.

Safety? Well if you bought and are using a bandsaw why are you concerned for safety? The darn things are second only to a swing saw in potential for severing people parts.

Table saws can do it, of course. But you often get your little pinkies right up near the blade on a bandsaw, and it has no mercy.

I am ROLLING ON THE FLOOR LAUGHING, however............... Here is this dude in Suffolk UK, part of the EC, and how does he describe the thing? HE SAYS IT IS ABOUT 55" HIGH AND TABLE IS 20 X 24 INCHES..........................................

That Metric System is just a bunch of malarkey from old Boney, we don't need no stinking centimeters...... so sez the seller, evidently

Frank Ford
09-22-2007, 08:47 PM
I dunno. It does have a cool old-timey charm. I know some woodworkers who like to get old iron like that and restore/upgrade for current use.

Comes with new tyres? Interesting. Was he trying to run it as-is?

I don't recall seeing a counterweight like that, if that's what I'm seeing in the photo.

Cheers,

Frank Ford
FRETS.COM (http://www.frets.com)
Gryphon Stringed Instruments (http://www.gryphonstrings.com)
My Home Shop Pages (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/index.html)

OldToolmaker
09-22-2007, 10:01 PM
OMFG!! That thing reminds me of a boat motor a friend of mine dredged up from a lake...After about 10/12 years on the bottom.:D
Is Brandon, Suffolk, United Kingdom near any large bodies of water? Like the North Sea perhaps? It looks like that's where it has been for many years. Could be sandblasted and painted for a static display somewhere.

J Tiers
09-22-2007, 10:47 PM
Doubtful.

You guys are my kind of guy....... speck o rust and you are gone...... :D

keep those prices low, boys, I like low prices.

If you look closely, it appears that the paint on the covers is substantially there, not that rusty. A little on the lower one, due to rain splashing, no doubt. What appears to be a motor or such has obviously got the pour-off from the table.

The table, which would be not painted, is ugly.... which you would expect. But the table is not such a big deal, it can be cleaned up without a lot of effect on the mechanical operation.

You'd want to take a closer look of course, but it isn't that awful from the pictures. I'd want it for half the price, of course, but I'm known to be a cheapskate, "as cheap as the day is long".

People restore cars that are far worse than that saw....... to running show car condition.

Mike Burdick
09-22-2007, 11:03 PM
J Tiers,

Good reply! Plenty of good common sense.:)

wierdscience
09-22-2007, 11:09 PM
35P,that's about $70 right?Not a bad deal actually assuming all it's parts are there.The counterwieght tensioning is unique,only see that on large resaws here.

It's not like a lathe or a mill,it's not precision in nature,it's a bandsaw.Cleaned up and in running order it would work fine just as good if not better than a new one.

I guess you have to ask yourself a question.Will that saw rebuilt be a better saw than a new Chiwan import?

kendall
09-22-2007, 11:24 PM
I bought a couple things off ebay that I had been told were a waste of time and money.
Almost got talked out of one 'rusted up bit of crap' till I took a real good look at the pics and noticed that right around the front of it, the wooden table it was sitting on had the same rusty red cast to it as the machine itself, so I took the chance and bid, won it with a low bid, picked it up brouht it home and sprayed it with some kerosene and ATF, and wiped away all the rust. quick visual, a few minor adjustments, and it was making chips within two hours of hitting the garage.

Ken.

andy_b
09-22-2007, 11:33 PM
as noted, woodworking tools are an entirely different breed than precision metalworking tools. that bandsaw will clean up with no problems. i have enough bandsaws, but if i was looking for one that size, the price isn't bad.

andy b.

thistle
09-23-2007, 08:54 AM
thats a semi finished casting kit!

Timleech
09-23-2007, 09:50 AM
I used to have a very similar saw, similar counterweight tensioning, but a size bigger & it had been fitted with ugly plywood wheel guards to keep the H&S people happy :rolleyes:
No reason why that one shouldn't be put to use.

Tim

John Stevenson
09-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Treat it as relative. It costs about 50 UKP to have a bandsaw wheel retyred here.

I bought a metal bandsaw here for 250, it handles 13" round or 18" x 12" rectangular.
When I went to collect it the guy apologised and said he wasn't going to sell it as the motor and varispeed gearbox had been robbed for another saw and he didn't realise.
I'm convinced it was a genuine mistake, he was a nice guy.

Long, short was I paid 200 for it, loaded it up and took it away with him scratching his head as these motors are like hens teeth.

Got back and worked wheel sizes out and cutting speeds and going on the fact that the last two places I worked NO-ONE EVER alter speed on the saws I just sorted out and found a geared motor that ran at the usual speed for most work.

I though if worst comes to worst I could fit a VFD. Today it's still running just as rebuilt and must have cut literally miles of steel bar.

wierdscience
09-23-2007, 12:50 PM
Treat it as relative. It costs about 50 UKP to have a bandsaw wheel retyred here.

Why so much?Here you just buy a length of flat urethane belting,make two bands 20% smaller in circ. and stretch them on,costs about $15 at least on woodworking saws

John Stevenson
09-23-2007, 05:56 PM
Weird,
No these are the bonded on tyres, they abrade the old rubber off, mould new rubber on and grind to a finished size or shape.
You get a choice of hardness dependin on use.
They also do rubber tyres for a lot of transport conveyors.