PDA

View Full Version : OT Need suggestion for a new printer

pasofino
09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
Anyone have any suggestions for a new colored printer that won't break the bank when buying new cartridges. I have an older Epson that requires expensive cartridges and needs cleaning too often.

matador
09-30-2007, 07:44 PM
From recent experience,I can tell you that the Canon types that use BCI21 or BCI24 cartridges work out quite cheap.There are also many off-brand cartridges available.
Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth,but my kids thought they would do me a favour and bought me a Canon MP160 multi-function unit.The cartridges cost more than the whole printer itself:(.
My daughter has a Brother multi function,which has individual color cartridges.They are also quite cheap,so might be worth investigating.
There are also the "continuous ink"systems.These have separate large tanks,which sit next to the printer and connected through some modification to the original cartridge.This is the cheapest option,AFTER the initial setting up cost.Here in NZ they are nz$95,about the same cost as a printer.But when replacement ink is required,the savings are huge.I hope they bring a set out for my model soon,I will definitely change to that system.

Bruce Griffing
09-30-2007, 08:32 PM
I have had all of the major brands of inkjets - several of each. I also recommend Canon. Get a 4 color older model that is not chipped - this means that the newer Canon cartridges each have a chip. The chip is essentially there to discourage refilling and thus makes ink more expensive. An I-560 or a Pixma 3000 would be a good bet. I refill, but you can also just buy off brand ink on the cheap.

wierdscience
09-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I've got 2 Lexmark X5470 all in ones,after some initial troubles they both work great.I bought specifically looking for cheap cartriges,black runs $19 and color $22,plus the local Walgreens does refills for $10 and $14.

http://www.lexmark.com/lexmark/product/home/719/0,6970,204816596_653293790_850430671_en,00.html?ta bId=1

The trouble I had was installing the software,I had to downlod it from the Lexmark website,but once done they work great,at $99 it's hard to beat IMHO.

jimsehr
09-30-2007, 09:25 PM
I just bought 20 cartridges of ink for my Cannon i560 .Cost $34 with shipping
got 5 of each color. Been buying from them for 3 years and had no problems.
About $1.70 per cart.
Jim just a happy customer.

Bulkinkjetcarts.com

dp
09-30-2007, 10:30 PM
I recently bought one of these and am very happy with it. After several months of running it I had to buy a black cartridge last week: $19.00.

Love the wireless interface as it works perfectly with my Mac Mini and laptop, and my Windows and Unix virtual machines.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?product_code=C8192A%23ABA&template_type=product_detail&jumpid=re_r602_ep_artgen_body_ipg_sep07

Mike W
09-30-2007, 11:44 PM
Too bad that you need color. I bought a HP Laser Jet 1020 a couple of months ago. I'll never get aggravated with ink jets again.

nheng
10-01-2007, 12:11 AM
Got sick and tired of expensive inkjets and priming them after sitting. Bought an Oki C3200N color this spring. Blows away inkjet costs. Came with a partially filled toner but haven't run out yet. Color for covers, booklets, labels could not be better. Photos are not very good but some look quite decent. The toner is laid down with a half-tone like appearance on images. Printer is a little noisy but I would buy it again in a heartbeat. I can have photos printed professionally for a fraction of the cost to me in paper and inkjet. Unless you need imaging at your desktop, go with a laser :)

Too_Many_Tools
10-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Yep...that is the route I am taking...do your photos at a store.

Have a B/W laser at home.

Let the inkjet bandits choke on their expensive and crippled inkjet cartridges.

TMT

gellfex
10-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Yep...that is the route I am taking...do your photos at a store.

Have a B/W laser at home.

Let the inkjet bandits choke on their expensive and crippled inkjet cartridges.

TMT

Agreed. I went as far as refilling carts for my Epson with archival pigmented inks back when fading was a problem. Now I have a laser and all pics get printed by uploading to Costco or Target. @$0.17 for a 4x6 print or $1.49 for an 8x10 you simply can't go wrong for a print as durable as any regular color print.

tattoomike68
10-01-2007, 01:30 PM
We have a canon i550. I found refill kits at the dollar store that will fill each cartridge 5 times for $1 each.

jimsehr
10-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I talked to Bulkinkjet sales person today and was told that the new Brothers brand printers don't have a chip in them. So if I was looking I would check them out.
Jim

Your Old Dog
10-02-2007, 06:41 AM
Rethink the color. LaserJets are coming out on the market with new up-to-date pricing to the point they are actually affordable for home use.

If you print color all the time and want to do it at home I'd reccomend the Epson DuraBrite inks but they are pretty pricey IMHO. These inks are far more waterproof/resistant then other inks.

gellfex
10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Rethink the color. LaserJets are coming out on the market with new up-to-date pricing to the point they are actually affordable for home use.

The HP 1018 has been selling for $65 after rebate. The thing to remember about inkjet vs laser is that depending on how frequently you print more than half your ink ends up in the cleaning pads rather than on the page. Laser on teh other hand wastes no toner, so the actual consumable cost savings is tremendous, not to mention the laser will have a print out from idle in under 10 seconds.

Spin Doctor
10-02-2007, 12:37 PM
As all most all of my printing is B/W I made the switch to laser a long time ago. The HP 1000 I have was around $100 bucks at the time and I think in I am only on the third cartrige in around five years. When I was using inkjets the printer would set idle for a couple of weeks and the the cartridges would set up on the printer heads (Lexmark). If I need pictures done I just go to the store. That way I don't need to have paper laying around. I did pick up a color Minolta in a moment of weakness and I have to confess it works very well for what I use it for. Just be careful about over flexing the paper as the toner being applied to the surface of the paper will flake off.

andy_b
10-12-2007, 08:53 PM
The HP 1018 has been selling for $65 after rebate. The thing to remember about inkjet vs laser is that depending on how frequently you print more than half your ink ends up in the cleaning pads rather than on the page. Laser on teh other hand wastes no toner, so the actual consumable cost savings is tremendous, not to mention the laser will have a print out from idle in under 10 seconds.

i just wanted to give an update. we have an Epson Stylus Photo 820 that we use at home. my kids have a habit of deciding every now and then that it would be a good idea to print 100 senseless images and burn through a color cartridge. when i read this thread i thought to myself, "90% of what we print could be in B&W, so why not a cheap laser printer". so i searched the world's largest flea market and found a seller offering the HP 1018 for $48. it showed up today and man does it kick a$$!!!! it prints a page in a few seconds (instead of 50 seconds) and is MUCH more economical than the Epson.

THANKS Gellfex for recommending it!!!!!

andy b.