PDA

View Full Version : Lube for Dividing Head

Stepside
09-30-2007, 08:37 PM
I just completly took apart my dividing head. I got it used or maybe more corectly abused. Anyway there is no way to lube the worm and wheel without complete disassembly. The question is what kind of grease will be best so I don't need to service it for awhile.

Thanks

Pete

chief
10-01-2007, 05:26 AM
I used wheel bearing grease. No problems.

oldtiffie
10-01-2007, 06:24 AM
I just completly took apart my dividing head. I got it used or maybe more corectly abused. Anyway there is no way to lube the worm and wheel without complete disassembly. The question is what kind of grease will be best so I don't need to service it for awhile.

Thanks

Pete

Hi Pete.

Thanks for that a very topical post.

Why not install a grease nipple while you have it apart as you will at least have a "lube" option that you don't have now.

I have wondered why I should not use a "sump" of high pressure oil - as in gear-boxes such as automobile differentials as the worm and wheel will be "wet" so long as there is oil up to the bottom of the worm.

My rotabs have the spring and ball lubricators on them - one in the table centre and the other for the worm spindle at the "handle end" but none that I've seen for the worm-wheel interfaces. So I have limited access and only for oil.

I have no real instructions from the manufacturer either (yep - China).

I have every intention of NOT dismantling my rotabs unless or until I need to. I bought mine new and so far they have met or exceeded my expectations - but of course that may well change and I may well find myself in the situation that you are in now.

I will be very interested to see how this thread plays out.

LES A W HARRIS
10-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Thanks

Pete

My July 07 purchase of a BS-0 clone, (Enco/Vertex),no service instructions for grease just two oilers. I pulled it to check quality; (fairly good), the grease in the worm apeared to be plain gen purpose, replaced with Extreem Pressure type that I had.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/07%20GEARS/PANA2435.jpg

Cheers,

oldtiffie
10-01-2007, 07:15 PM
My July 07 purchase of a BS-0 clone, (Enco/Vertex),no service instructions for grease just two oilers. I pulled it to check quality; (fairly good), the grease in the worm apeared to be plain gen purpose, replaced with Extreem Pressure type that I had.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/07%20GEARS/PANA2435.jpg

Cheers,

Hi Les.

Thanks for that post with pic. as I feel a lot more relaxed about my new-ish (2 years) Rotabs. If they are greased like yours is I reckon I am pretty right for quite a while yet.

I noticed the "PANA2435.jpg" on your pic. Do you have a Panasonic camera?
I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC40 (4 mpixel x3 with Leica lens). It is a very good camera but I'd like a "bigger" one and given the service I've had I'd prefer another Panasonic. Could you post a quick review/summary on your camera as it seems to be doing very well.

PS: will do "part 2" of "Limits and Fits etc" next week using the "inch" tables from your pic. of your "Zeus" hand-book. I am as busy as a dog with fleas but I'm damned if I can see anything of substance for it lately.

LES A W HARRIS
10-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I noticed the "PANA2435.jpg" on your pic. Do you have a Panasonic camera?
I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC40 (4 mpixel x3 with Leica lens). It is a very good camera but I'd like a "bigger" one and given the service I've had I'd prefer another Panasonic. Could you post a quick review/summary on your camera as it seems to be doing very well.

Yes, Multicam, video & stills.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/CAMRA0001.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e97/CURVIC9/PANA0744.jpg
Cheers,

oldtiffie
10-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks Les.

Great shot, great info from you and great lesson learned by me.

As soon as I saw your pic. I thought "blo**y di*k-head "Oldtiffie" - of course!!! ".

Reason?

I have the Sony equivalent of your digi-cam - 20x optical and 700x digital zoom with max resolution (stills) 640 x 480 on "Memory Stick/s" - and that resolution is ideal for Photo-bucket as it is just right for full-screen resolution at IE/browser screen resolution of 72 dpi.

See pic.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Sony_Digi_Cam1.jpg

The digi-cam has been sitting forgotten until I saw your pic. And you have deprived me of the good excuse (note: NOT "good reason") to buy a newer better bigger 10x optical zoom 7- 10 MPixel SLR etc.

But seriously tho' you have saved me a lot of money that I might have other wise have (well, almost??) "wasted"????.

And to make it worse for me I inflicted more pain on myself when I remembered that I used the digi-cam with great success just about every day to record details and progress when we were doing the renovations to the back of the house.

I was once told that in my case "learning (lessons) and education" could be represented by "KITA"
1. Knowledge is the answer; and
2. Kick in the ar*e".

How very true it was - and still is.