X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jadecy
    • Feb 2007

lathe chuck scroll lock jaw type?

I searched the archives and can't find the answer to this question.

What is the best jaw type for a self centering, scroll lock, 3 jaw chuck? They advertise the two sets of jaws or the two piece reversible jaws. Is there a real benefit on one versus the other? I can see not having to store the extra set of jaws as a benefit but in order to reverse the two piece type you have to remove 6 cap screws. Is the runout typically greater on the 2 piece type or is it better than the two sets of jaws?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
  • tattoomike68

I like the 2 peice jaws, I have not noticed more run out then normal. A benefit is you can make new top jaws to grab odd shaped workpeices or make long jaws for grabbing large workpeices.

I think the one peice jaws are stronger and when you pull them out to change over you can give the chuck scroll and slots a good cleaning.

If given a choice I would go with the two peice jaws. Its nice to be able to make extra top jaws that you can machine or even weld on to make fit an odd job.

Comment

• oldtiffie
      • Nov 1999

Soft jaws.

Originally posted by tattoomike68
      I like the 2 piece jaws, I have not noticed more run out then normal. A benefit is you can make new top jaws to grab odd shaped workpieces or make long jaws for grabbing large workpieces.

I think the one piece jaws are stronger and when you pull them out to change over you can give the chuck scroll and slots a good cleaning.

If given a choice I would go with the two piece jaws. Its nice to be able to make extra top jaws that you can machine or even weld on to make fit an odd job.
      "Two-piece" jaws are required if you want to use/fit "soft" jaws otherwise it doesn't seem to matter much.

I've had to buy a new chuck to fit the "soft" jaws as the removable one-piece jawed chuck that cam with the lathe did not have that facility.

If I get to the stage where distortion of the jaws or the jaw-ways/slots is an issue, I stop and re-think the job and will not proceed until I have found another way.

Anyone who is a machine-abuser is a self-abuser. But perhaps they have failing eye-sight.

Comment

• ammcoman2
        • Dec 2004

Generally, I have noticed that the "two set of jaws" type are cheaper than the 2 piece type. I would think it is quicker to change jaws than to unscrew the cap screws. All my chucks are the "2 sets" style so I am biased and, perhaps, a Luddite!

My .01cents worth.

Geoff

Comment

• BadDog
          • May 2006

First, you need to define "best".

I like the 2 piece jaws, primarily for the use of soft/custom jaws. I used mine just a week ago to cut a modify a washer (OD, ID, face) for use on a grinder, and made a combo flange/spacer for the same grinder. Both would have been very difficult without the soft jaws to support the flat, flexible, thin pieces.

One piece jaws tend to have "sharper" points and hold smaller items for a similar sized chuck. Of course, I made top jaws with sharp points, so point is moot except for hard jaws. As stated, they can be faster to replace, if you know a few tricks to get the new ones aligned on the scroll. And of course, they tend to be cheaper as stated.

But in general, I prefer the 2 piece by a large margin...
          Russ
          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

• Scishopguy
            • Feb 2006

lathe chuck scroll lock jaw type?

Like Bad Dog, I like the 2 piece jaws because I think soft jaws are essential if you turn thin and delicate stuff. If you have an indexer for your mill, you will want soft jaws that interchange with the top jaws on the chuck on the indexer. Sometimes you need to drill something on the indexer that would have the drill penetrate the jaw on one or more position. With soft jaws it is not a problem. That said, I don't have my own indexer yet as they are pretty expensive even used and my pitiful retirement check couldn't stand the strain right now. I am using the 3 jaw chuck that came with my lathe for the moment but plan on getting one with 2 piece jaws as soon as I can.
            Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

• wierdscience
              • Jan 2003

Another vote for two-piece jaws.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
              X