PDA

View Full Version : damged tailstock

spkrman15
05-09-2003, 06:01 PM
Hey Guys,

well the newbie in me has struck and i think i did some damage to my tailstock. I was boring some bushigs and a couple of times the boring head came out and spun in my tailstock. Well now, when i put my live center or chuck in the tailstock they won`t come out. The tailstock seems to come out of the threaded end. When i retract the tailstock, and the the pin is supposed to push out the live center, it makes the tailstock tube come off of whatever is holding it all together. Is the most likely a press fit? I have a diagram here at home but i thought some real life advice might help befor i tear something else apart!

Spkrman15

Rotate
05-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Yikes, I hate it when that happens.

Obviously something internal has become loose but aside from that if anything has been allowed to spin with enough force in a tapered socket, then you may have to ream it so that it's true again, otherwise anything you stick in it will always stick or never sit right, or even worst damage the taper on the tool itself. You can get MT reamers which cleans it nicely. They are rather expensive, but not as expensive as ruining something else.

Good luck.

Albert

jfsmith
05-09-2003, 07:17 PM
You need to get it apart in fashion or another and then figure out if it's true or not. You may want to call the manufacture on Monday or a tech service that works on your type of lathe.

If the tailstock is out of spec, you can try reaming, but you may want to find a machine shop with big equipment and let them do the work. They are geared for precise measurements and have tools to do the job.

Jerry

CCWKen
05-09-2003, 07:24 PM
There sould be some sort of screw or pin at the rear of the tailstock (TS) that holds the tailstock screw in. This pin or screw keeps the TS screw fixed in place and allows the TS quill to extend or retract. It may be loose or missing. It should be back by the TS wheel.

Thrud
05-10-2003, 01:05 AM
spkrman15:

Most tailstock spindles can be removed by turning the handle all the way out (as if popping a center out). This is done so stubborn bits can be removed easily with a wedge. At some point it will stop moving and you can then pull it out by hand. You may have sheared the key or pin that prevents the spindle from turning when your boring head turned in the tailstock. Try to add a lathedog to prevent turing in the future.

Sometimes there is a retaining bolt in the nose area (top, bottom, or either side) of the tailstock housing. Occasionally there will be a retaining stud accessable from under the tailstock base (stupid place for it too).

Barring these obvious ones, check with the lathe mfg.

spkrman15
05-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Thansk guys,

The diagram says there is some sort of threaded set screw that goes into the tube at an angle. If i ever get my new scanner working i`ll post it.

Obviously i am trying to keep the expen$ises down. The bad part of buying a Chinese lathe. The good part is that i will be able to fix all of it by the time i am done. There is always a plus somewhere...

Sprkman15

spkrman15
05-11-2003, 01:17 PM
Ta dah!!

I fixed my tailstock. It was the set-screw that holds the brass bushing to my tube. I guess it got wobled out or something. i had to make a new one and put the little sucker back in. At least now i know how to undo everything.

Spkrman15

Dave Opincarne
05-11-2003, 01:27 PM
Good job! Nice to be able to fix your own stuff. Glad to hear that's all it was. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//smile.gif

-Dave

yf
05-11-2003, 02:16 PM
Might be a good time to redesign it so you wont have this problem again.

spkrman15
05-12-2003, 04:22 PM
Hmm Redesign it? Don`t know if i am ready for that yet. There are still lots of other parts for me to break before i start improving my lathe. Hahha

Spkrman15

Thrud
05-13-2003, 05:17 AM
Spkrman15
Don't talk like that around the machines - they can hear you. They might revolt one day! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

It is fun to fix stuff, ain't it?

jfsmith
05-14-2003, 10:35 AM
I spotted in a catalog a set of tail stock reamers, they might be useful.

Jerry

spkrman15
05-14-2003, 05:20 PM
Thrud : Yeah it felt great. Just like the time i took some wire we ripped off of the welder at work, drove over it, and fitted it to my ac/dc welder at home. Made the connectors etc. That was a fun night.

Jerry: Where did you see the reamers? And how much...remember i am Canadian

Spkrman15

Thrud
05-16-2003, 05:25 AM
Spkrman15
Any machinery dealer or the big catalogues can sell them to you they run $50-250 each depending on size and quality. I would recommend a good US made HHS reamer - they cost more, but are worth it.