PDA

View Full Version : Loctite question

lynnl
05-14-2003, 03:34 PM
I'm having problems with the pull cord rewind mechanism on a Toro lawn mower. The little shoulder bolt that holds the cover over 2 little pivoting ears that swing out to engage the "whatchamacallit" (bolted on top of the flywheel) keeps backing out. There's a spring under that cover so and if it's tightened too much the little ears no longer swing out... and no engagement takes place. I'd pulled the thing off and disassembled 2 or 3 years ago, and would like to get it working again. But I can see nothing in the design that would prevent that bolt from backing out.

Isn't there one of the Loctite formulas made for purposes like this, but yet permits later removal?

Thrud
05-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Lynn
I would use a high strength loctite - if you need to repair later just apply heat to remove.

jr45acp
05-14-2003, 04:10 PM
If the bolts don't go into any type of lube passage, just put some valve grinding compound on the last few threads and torque down. Valve grinding compound was great for the early Harleys that wanted to vibrate everything out! It works, I supoose thae friction from the abrasive, regardless it works.

------------------
John B

lynnl
05-14-2003, 04:44 PM
Lube is part of the problem. The bolt does in fact pass thru grease which is packed around that spring and the pivoting ears. That may be a problem even with the Loctite application. I'd think I need to have clean threads for the Loctite to work.
Tho the idea of 'roughing' up a couple of thds might work.

The problem with ever having to use heat is the takeup spool for the pullcord is made of plastic.

NAMPeters
05-14-2003, 05:35 PM
Why not replace the bolt with one that has a locking patch or pellet? Or put some nonehardening automotive sealer on the threads to form a psuedo-locking patch.

------------------
Neil Peters

[This message has been edited by NAMPeters (edited 05-14-2003).]

SGW
05-14-2003, 06:22 PM
There's all kinds of grades of Loctite, some of the "remove with ordinary tools" variety, some of the "remove with heavy tools" variety, and also the "heat to 450 degrees or you don't have a chance" variety.

Check the Loctite web site-- they must have specs on all that stuff. You will definitely need to clean the threads to get the grease off for it to work, but something like denatured alcohol will do it.

Thrud
05-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Lynn

Both Loctite and permatex have high strength thread lockers for use in oily (industrial [MRO] thread lockers can even seal a wet hydraulic joint) environments. These will do the job. They will work better if you can clean both parts with the anaerobic primer/accellerant.