PDA

View Full Version : Saw Coolant

pntrbl
10-08-2007, 11:59 PM
My Enco 7x12 showed up today and since this is the 1st bandsaw I've ever owned I'm probably gonna have about 18 questions ....

Coolant 1st. The manual say water-based but I'm not real fond of what I hear about that stuff. It's bio-degradable which to me sounds another way of saying it rots. Who needs rancid in the bottom of their saw? I've heard of daily pH checks to keep it from growing something. Tramp oil issues ... but I guess that wouldn't apply to a saw would it?

The other thing is being a painter I've made the transition to modern water based materials and they do not work as well as the old school oils and lacquers. This could be over reaction on my part ....:o

OTOH I've been running WD40 thru the mister on my lathe and liking that just fine. I'll break out something thick for threading and tapping but other than that I've been using WD on just about everything.

Is there any reason I can't run it in my new saw?

What would be better? And I'll run water based if I have to!

Thanx again guys.

SP

tattoomike68
10-09-2007, 01:22 AM
water based coolant does a good job and you will find that a saw loses allot and it will run dry before it gets stinky. In fact some shops I worked at used the stinky coolant in the saw when they changed the stuff out on the mills.

A glug of pine sol and the smell is neutralized , it kills germs and the odors they cause.

You can run wd-40 if you like , you might need to dam it up inside of any tubes you cut so you don't end up with a slick floor around the saw and hurt yourself packing metal around the saw. Safety would be the biggest issue IMHO.

oldtiffie
10-09-2007, 01:37 AM
Why not make a "suds" tray (as on many lathes) and install a "suds (recirculating) pump" and put "Pine" cleaner in it to get rid of the smell.

I prefer not to use "mist sprays" at all as they do or can atomise and form a (type of?) aerosol that can or does go everywhere.

I have a small (6 x 4) band-saw and use it either dry or just feed it with a brush onto the blade.

I realise that the larger saw - the subject of this thread - is a lot larger than mine and will generate more heat that needs to be dispersed. I, being retired, can afford the time to "stand and watch" my band-saw if needed (or if I'm bone-lazy or just in need of a "day-dream").

I hope this helps.

John Stevenson
10-09-2007, 03:42 AM
I have quite a big saw and it's always run on suds and requires cleaning about twice a year [ commercial environment ] because of tramp oil and sludge floating about in there.

About two years ago I made the change to neat cutting oil and since then it's been far better. The neat oil lubes the machine and blade life has increased dramatically to probably twice what it was.

Never required cleaning yet just top ups.

Only disadvantage I get that probably won't occur in a home shop is smoke off the blade when cutting large stuff.

As I say this is commercial and it is a big saw with a 4 - 6 tooth varipitch blade. On a higher pitch blade I don't think it will have to work as hard.

Neat cutting oil IS NOT the same as ATF or hydraulic oils, it's a bit more expensive but it's worth it to save the hassle and expense of replacing blades.

BadDog
10-09-2007, 03:53 AM
I run mine essentially dry, with good Lynox bimetal blades and am quite happy. I do use the wax sticks, and they seem to work very well, without all the mess and hassle of chasing puddles that run down long stock to collect where ever most inconvenient...

Ries
10-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I would agree on just using decent bi-metal blades, Lenox or Starret, and running it dry.
For mild steel, this would work just fine.
We run tons (literally) of stainless dry too.

I have one of those import 7x12's with the built in coolant pump- we filled it up once, ran it for a day or two, and found it did nothing for blade life or cut quality, but it sure made a big big mess. The coolant runs down the stock being cut, and makes a puddle up to 20 feet away.

MickeyD
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
I have a jet 7x12 and have some very stinky Rustlick in it. It went from being good to nasty (smells like old sneakers) during a week of inactivity. I am going to clean it out and switch to Liquid Ice like I run in the machining center, and then just dump it in machining centers sump if I am not going to use it for a couple of days. I have a buddy of mine who uses straight water in his because the coolant always gets on the floor and he worries about slipping it. Puts a little wd-40 on the machine when he is finished using it and I don't think that it rusts much more than mine with rustlick.

motorcyclemac
10-09-2007, 01:07 PM
I have been using a product called Bandaid produced by Lennox. I have a 7x12 saw and the Lennox product seems to be the best I have used. It prevents rust and never smells after sitting. It doesn't make for a slip issue on the concrete floor.

Cheers
Mac.

IOWOLF
10-09-2007, 02:14 PM
You are putting wd40 in a mist and breathing it? Wow you are braver than me.

On the other "Cooltool".

J.Ramsey
10-09-2007, 03:43 PM
I've had my Enco 7x12 about four years now and have used Kool Mist 77 at 6oz.to a gal. of water in the sump with no problems what so ever.
Before you make the first cut take the original blade and throw it in the trash their only good for about half dozen cuts.
I use Morse blades that are available from Enco.

deth502
10-09-2007, 08:02 PM
i dont recall exactly what i use (astro something???) but i heard of this so i made sure when i got it it was "mold-proof" (forget the actual term for it).

i mixed it to almost the high limit on the bottle, so when it evaporates/splashes out, i just add water and it get a little more diluted.

ive had it in there for almost 2 yrs now without a problem. it dosent get used too hard, not too uncommon to set for a mth without use, or to get used daily for a week.

deth502
10-09-2007, 08:03 PM
edit-- got it from victor machinery exchange.

daryl bane
10-09-2007, 11:40 PM
I use Rustlick 50/50, and its never gone rancid for me. I need to add water from time to time as its evaporates.

Fasttrack
10-09-2007, 11:49 PM
You are putting wd40 in a mist and breathing it? Wow you are braver than me.

On the other "Cooltool".

my thought as well!

wierdscience
10-10-2007, 01:36 AM
I use Coolant King soluable oil by the pail,it never rots,stinks or eats skin,it even smells good,it's not your grandmother's coolant.I only make 300 or so cuts a week so YMMV.

http://www.synlube-mi.com/coolant_king.htm

It can be had from KBC ,MSC and the usual suspects and yes it does increase blade life even on bi-metal blades by 50% or better.