PDA

View Full Version : Need Oiler Application Info on Enco Mill/Drill

wheelterrapin
10-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Guys, I am back, the wanna be machinist trying to learn. I picked up my used Enco Mill/Drill and have been cleaning it up and it has these small button oilers on it:

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/?action=view&current=EncoMillOiler1.jpg

http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/wheelterrapin/?action=view&current=EncoMillOiler2.jpg

Do you oil these places with just a standard small spout oil can or is there a special oil can for these. Also what is the recommendation for how much oil to put into each button.

Sorry for the stupidity but it comes naturally.

Thanks for the help.

Paul

jimmstruk
10-16-2007, 07:46 PM
To oil those type of oil holes, depress the little ball and squirt away. Too much oil will leak out and need to be wiped up. Too little oil and scored ways,worn gibs,worn screws and nuts etc. Just my thoughts. JIM

SGW
10-16-2007, 07:49 PM
I use a standard pump oiler. Push the nozzle into the button straight-on, and hard enough to hope it (mostly) seals, and give it a good squirt.

If you have any of those ball oiling points where clearance isn't a problem, and little or no danger of banging stuff into them, you may find it advantageous to pry them out and replace them with oil cups.

wheelterrapin
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Thanks Jim for the information, it is appreciated.

Paul

To oil those type of oil holes, depress the little ball and squirt away. Too much oil will leak out and need to be wiped up. Too little oil and scored ways,worn gibs,worn screws and nuts etc. Just my thoughts. JIM

wheelterrapin
10-17-2007, 09:27 PM
I appreciate the advice and information. I will check out the oil cup idea. Many thanks.

Paul

I use a standard pump oiler. Push the nozzle into the button straight-on, and hard enough to hope it (mostly) seals, and give it a good squirt.

If you have any of those ball oiling points where clearance isn't a problem, and little or no danger of banging stuff into them, you may find it advantageous to pry them out and replace them with oil cups.