PDA

View Full Version : Article on lathe compound repair/upgrade

gamachinist
05-15-2003, 08:57 PM
Hi all.I'm trying to find an article from either HSM or MW/PIM about a damaged t slot that someone repaired on a lathe compound.I've tried the search engine here but didn't come up with any results.My back issues are in too many different boxes from tidying up and I can't find but a few at the moment.I think the article was about removing the t slot and making a multi slot plate to replace it.Does anyone else recall this?Thanks,Robert.

3jaw
05-15-2003, 10:10 PM
Robert,

I think I remember the article but I can't remember which issue of HSM it was in. I do know that he milled off the top lips of the t-slot and drilled and tapped two holes on each side so he could mount plates that would replace the milled-off portions.

Clear as mud, huh? http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//confused.gif

Hope this helps.

Greg

gamachinist
05-15-2003, 10:23 PM
Thanks Greg.At least now I know I didn't imagine the whole thing.I can search now knowing it does exist.Of course if I had thought it up I could have sent it in and gotten paid for it!Robert.

3jaw
05-15-2003, 10:30 PM
Robert,

I notice in your profile that you are an automotive machinist. I started out as an automotive machinist fresh out of high school vo-tech. I stayed in it for 4 years and it was one of my favorite jobs. Imagine an 18 year old kid getting to build engines the right way!!!!! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

What kind of equipment does your shop have?

Greg

gamachinist
05-15-2003, 11:07 PM
Good thing you got smart and went into something that pays more!On to equipment:
Zanrosso Crackshaft grinder-82"capacity
Stewart Warner analog balancer
Peterson TCM25 valve seat and guide machine
Souix 680 valve refacer
Souix valve seat grinding equipment
American Automotive head and block "mill"
Crappy head pressure tester
Sunnen LBA pin and rod hone with AG 300 gauge and rod,pin,and king pin mandrels
Sunnen "dog house" rod cap cutter
American Automotive Flywheel grinder
Kwik Way FN boring bar on Kwik way stand(plate type)
Van Norman 944 boring bar on small engine stand
Shelby block honing machine that I use manualy because the air system quit.It never worked that well anyway.
Stack of torque plates for blocks
AXE spray cabinet with aluminum safe cleaner
Old Old soak vat for cast iron and sheet metal etc.
Scat Blast glass bead cabinet
Atlas/Bear(not the same as the lathes)brake drum and rotor lathes
30 ton pick up dealer shop press
OTC piston press fixture
LeBlond 13x24 Regal lathe
Old Atlas 10x36 lathe
Old Air Compressor with no name
Stuff that needs fixing:
Lodge and Shippley 16x36 lathe
Van Norman 444 flywheel grinder
Bridgeport Series I CNC vertical mill
Tobin-Arp pin and piston boring machine
Lempco 855 head grinder
Rotunda brake drum lathe for large drums
Curtis Air Compressor
Ing Rand Compressor bought for motor and control for above
Things that eat:
Sasha,Prissy,Cassie,and Bandit the dogs
Sticky the cat and Mousetrap the cat (if he ever comes home from tomcatting he'll go to the things that need fixing catagory)
Sorry this got so long but I had a chance to talk so I did!
Robert.

G.A. Ewen
05-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Hello Robert,
Check out the photo on page 34 of the Feb/Mar issue of Machinist's Workshop. (2002) If that is the lathe that you are referring to it belongs to Marsh Collins. Maybe if you do a search on his articals you will find the one that you are looking for. Just an idea.
George.

[This message has been edited by G.A. Ewen (edited 05-15-2003).]

gamachinist
05-15-2003, 11:20 PM
Thanks George.I'll have to find the issue where ever I put it.The search didn't turn it up under his name but it might be too recent to be in the archive.At least I've got a date to look for now.
Robert.

3jaw
05-16-2003, 12:06 AM
Weeelllllll, I'm not exactly getting rich by teaching, either! http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

Our equipment consisted of:
60" Storm Vulcan crankshaft grinder
Stuhr grinding wheel balancing stand
Storm Vulcan crankshaft straightening press
Rottler boring machine
Rottler power hone
Storm Vulcan head and block surface grinder
Tobin Arp seat and guide machine
Tobin Arp valve grinder
Tobin Arp flywheel grinder
Sioux seat grinder
Sunnen pin and rod hone with AG 300 gage
Sunnen cap grinder
Sunnen piston pin press
Sunnen rod heater
Storm Vulcan spray wash cabinet
Bayco oven
Tobin Arp glass bead cabinet
NAPA compressor
Yale pneumatic hoist
Old junk Buffalo lathe

This has been a nice trip down memory lane!

Greg

G.A. Ewen
05-16-2003, 12:11 AM
I'm back, what your looking for might be found in Home Shop Machinist, Jul/Aug, 2001 in an artical called "Overhaul of the Old Lady". I subscribe to MWS and my friend Andy Bradette subscribes to HSM, he is out of town right now so I can't check his library to be sure. We trade magazines back and forth as they come in. An arrangment that works very well for both of us.

gamachinist
05-16-2003, 01:37 AM
Thanks George! I belive that is what I was thinking about.I passed on the information to the guy on Chaski's BB with your name too.I found my copy of the M W you refered me to but I can find everything around the HSM issue but that one.I looked it up using the search feature here(finally figured it out) and gave him that info too.Maybe he can find a copy to look at.In the meantime,I need to locate mine and put it with the rest.
Robert.

gamachinist
05-16-2003, 01:47 AM
Hey Greg,
It looks like a lot of simular machines to me!I forgot about my Kwik Way portable align boring machine(probably because A,it is covered up,B,I rarely use it,C,It is one of my least favorite machines to perform one of my least favorite jobs!)I used a Tobin Arp valve facer in the shop I apprenticed in.I didn't like the rubberflex chuck because of having to change the collet from size to size but they are fine machines otherwise.
I use my engine balancer to balance my crank wheels on.What model was the Storm grinder if you remember?
I'm not familar with the Tobin Arp flywheel grinder and only have a vauge image of the seat and guide machine.
(Being a teacher you probably cringe at my spelling,etc.)
Later,Robert.

lynnl
05-16-2003, 09:57 AM
Robert don't worry about the spelling. Like Will Rogers said: '... a man who can only spell words one way is to be pitied', ...er something like that.

At any rate, I think most readers here are more interested in message content than the delivery.

3jaw
05-16-2003, 10:40 AM
I'm just a shop teacher, we don't worry too much about spelling. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gif

I can't remember what model the crankshaft grinder was. I remember that we bought it new in 1987 or '88 and it was made by Scledum from Italy for Storm Vulcan and we used a mechanical Arnold gage.

gamachinist
05-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Hi 3jaw.Okay,I know about which machine it is.It's more or less like mine as opposed to and American Built machine.Nowadays I don't think any one builds one here.Most are Italian and one comes from Finland(I think).The one I have was meant to be a Kwik Way but they parted ways with Zanrosso so Zan' exported them for a while until Winnona-Van Norman picked them up.I've not seen an Arnold gauge that wasn't manual.Do they make digital heads for them?
Robert.

3jaw
05-17-2003, 12:36 AM
The other gaging system that I have seen (but not used) is a gage with 2 analog meters. One of the meters was calibrated in thousandths and the other was calibrated in ten-thousandths. I think they were used mostly in production rebuild shops. I haven't seen a digital Arnold gage. I don't think I would like one. It's kinda fun guesstimating the last 0.0001" when the Arnold gage only reads to the nearest 0.0005". http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//cool.gif

I see that you have a balancing machine. I never got to balance any engines but I have balanced centrifugal air compressor rotor assemblies. How does that work? Do you balance in 2 planes like the front and rear counterweights? Also, I have never really understood why inline engines don't need bobweights while v6's and v8's do.

Thanks,

Greg

[This message has been edited by 3jaw (edited 05-17-2003).]

gamachinist
05-17-2003, 09:06 AM
Greg,someone screwed up if they bought an Arnold gauge in .0005 grads.Mine is .0001 and I thought they were all that way.
As for balancing,I'll be doing one today.It is normal to balance each end as one end will affect the other.Sometimes you correct one end and the other will fall into place and sometimes.....well it will get worse on the other end.When that happens,you know you aren't going to knock it out quick and make any money that day.People with more experience probably don't have to fight as much as I do.
I can't really explain why the bobweights are needed on V engines.They aren't needeed on "flat"(V W Porche Corvair) engines either.I'll get back later on this subject.
Robert.

gamachinist
05-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Hi Greg.I finally got a chance to finnish on balancing.I didn't get a chance to do that balancing job yesterday as other things came up.
As for inline engines not using bobweights,I looked in some of my balancing info and didn't find an answer for you.
The Stewart Warner paper says of V type engines"These have an unbalanced crankshaft design where the large counterweights on each end are not in line,and are on oppisite sides of the crankshaft."That's about all I can add to the subject.
One of the best balancing shops is in CA.
Talk to Gary at Automotive Balancing Service
714-671-0728.If anyone can explain,he can!
Later,Robert.