PDA

View Full Version : First Project on my Mill

small.planes
10-17-2007, 03:58 PM
Evening All,
(well it is here in blighty :p )
Just finished my first milling project, so I thought Id stop lurking and post a couple of pics:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/ClaireSanderson/SSC_1801.jpg

Super Shiny:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u170/ClaireSanderson/SSC_1800.jpg

In case you havent guessed its a corkscrew. My father in law wore out the original plastic body! As the rest was in good shape Ive made a new one. Hopefully the phosphor-bronze inserts in the Ally body will out last him!
I think this was a good project, the tolerances on a corkscrew are quite lax, and its given me a good bit of practice in layout, machining order, and clamping.

Dave

tattoomike68
10-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Good job, the more you use the mill the better you will get.

QSIMDO
10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
The more you use that cork screw the better this place'll get too!
;)

Ken_Shea
10-17-2007, 05:58 PM
Dave, I have no idea what a corkscrew is but the job looks superb.

Ken

bikewrench
10-17-2007, 06:04 PM
I never overlook the opportunity to impress family and loved ones with machine shop projects,It can buy time in the shop and justify tracking chips on the carpet. Nice job on the cork screw, I may buy a new one and throw away the plastic parts... I always enjoy using stuff I made..or made better more than store bought...well done and enjoy

laddy
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Beautiful!!!!!!!! Fred

Mcgyver
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
Dave, nice job. I should drink enough wine to wear a corkscrew out! anyone figure out how that little piece with helical hole in it is made :D

Al Messer
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Welcome aboard and keep doing those great looking projects.

A.K. Boomer
10-18-2007, 12:28 AM
What a great thing to fix, opening a nice bottle of wine is always an excuse for pondering and taking a step back to reflect, Now everytime he will say "what a fine job that lad did on my wine bottle opener --- I dont recall it ever working this smoothly" good brownie points --- if your into pleasing the in-laws that is (never was worth a damn in that department):p

small.planes
10-18-2007, 03:21 AM
Dave, nice job. I should drink enough wine to wear a corkscrew out! anyone figure out how that little piece with helical hole in it is made :D
'tis easy, use a helical drill ;)

actually is a plain hole with a bar across it, which is a close enough approximation to a helix for the job.

Dave

Peter N
10-18-2007, 05:23 AM
Nice job Dave.
As you say, interesting set-up exercise - quite a few angles there to mill plus a few rads.
Did you set it up on a rotary table and do it all from there?

Peter

small.planes
10-18-2007, 07:48 AM
Hi Peter,
Mostly it was milled using parallels and the (rather large) vice I originally bought for my shaper (which has had to go, not enough room! :( )
The radii were done by setting up onto my rotary table and milled using that. The nice thing about accidentally buying a mill 2x the size you need is that the vice and RT can stay setup on the table without interfering :)

Just in case you think Im better than I am I only made the 'carrier', the handles were from the original corkscrew, nice enough, and strong enough, though I did have to modify the 'bearing' in the 'overlever', as it was badly ovaled.

The next project will involve a chunk of the tooling plate you sold me, any tips? I suspect (know really) its quite a bit harder than the Ally I used here

Dave

Peter N
10-18-2007, 10:51 AM
The next project will involve a chunk of the tooling plate you sold me, any tips? I suspect (know really) its quite a bit harder than the Ally I used here
Dave

It's actually quite nice stuff to cut with carbide Dave, and gives a lovely finish.
I used indexable carbide face mills and brazed carbide boring bars and it worked fine.
Drilling 3/4" holes with HSS made the drills work a bit for their money, but nowhere near as bad as 316 stainlesss.
It will probably be fine with HSS end mills, but I just went straight to carbide on it.

I think it's somewhere around 32 rockwell C, so not too hard, and IIRC its 16% chrome and 0.5% nickel.

The only problem I had was some Heath-Robinson setups on the 4"x6" bandsaw to cut the big plates into a more useable size, as it's not supposed to cut 14" x 15" plates!

Peter