PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a small coolant pump?

Doc Nickel
10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I may have asked this before, but I didn't see a post in a brief search.

I have a Lisle drill grinder, which works well, but in operation makes it very, very easy to burn a lip if you're not taking it very slow. It's slow to remove the drill for a dunk in water, so that's no help.

I've been thinking of making a stand for it that'll have a drip tray, small reservoir, and nozzle for spraying (or pouring anyway) a light oil on the grinding wheel, much like you see on most valve grinders.

My two valve grinders have small cast-iron bodied gear pumps driven by the spindle motor, but for this custom application, I need something self-contained.

So I need something 120V, relatively small, reasonably quiet, can handle oils/solvents in the long term (which basically means metal/phenolic pump housing rather than plastics) fairly low GPM, preferably pipe threaded inlet and outlet, and... well, cheap. :D

Any suggestions?

Doc.

Norman Atkinson
10-19-2007, 06:09 PM
The classic and cheapest is a scrap car windscreen washer pump with a 12V battery charger. Old British cars had Lucas( Ugh) petrol fuel pumps working on 12VDC

!2v is an amazing source and the windscreen wiper motors will drive a X axis on a small lathe or mill.

At price , you can have fountains in the garden- or another solution- pun not intended.

cheers

Norm

torker
10-19-2007, 08:24 PM
Doc...for that why couldn't you use gravity feed? I use those (2 gal ?) soap dispenser jugs that have the built in tap. They sit with the tap down and are meant to sit on the washer or whatever.
I had one above my grinder so I could always fill the water box to dunk hot stuff in.
If you just let it run it would produce a nice lil' trickle. You could have a simple on/off tap on the hose right above your grinder and use your main tap to tailor the flow.
Russ

Evan
10-19-2007, 08:31 PM
Make one of these. It's a peristaltic pump. No seals to worry about. Cheap. How much it pumps depends on motor rpm. It's positive displacement but won't cack if it is blocked.

Oh yeah, the silicone tubing will withstand just about anything.

http://vts.bc.ca/pics3/peripump.jpg

tattoomike68
10-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Get a Kool mister. you can put it on your mill too. it does not make a big mess.

lane
10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I have been using some little fountain pumps I found at Harbor freight for around $9.00 they run on sale some times for $4.95. They are plastic but for the last 3or 4 years coolant are solvent are oil has not effected them.Besides for $9.00 if it last a few years so what.