PDA

View Full Version : Brussel Sprouts

Stepside
10-20-2007, 07:50 PM
A while ago there was a discussion that included the preparation of Brussel Sprouts. The little lady in my life would like any of the favorite recipes. She will then prepare and eat them when I am away on business. Thanks in advance.

Pete

dp
10-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Boil or steam them on your neighbor's stove, or at a campground. Eat your fill and bury the rest with rotting fish so it won't stink.

Stepside
10-20-2007, 08:19 PM
DP you live close enough we could invite JB over and share a batch. Actually you notice I said they would be prepared when I was "out of town".

How is the new shaper doing?

Pete

tony ennis
10-20-2007, 08:33 PM
1) Get sprouts from fridge
2) Wash carefully. A clean sprout is a happy sprout
3) Slice into quarters
4) Heat extra virgin olive oil in skillet until is just smokes, then turn it down.
5) Add sprout quarters, salt, and garlic to the skillet, stir frequently
6) After 5 minutes, regain your sanity. Pitch it all in the trash.
7) Go get some fried fish.

KiddZimaHater
10-20-2007, 08:43 PM
Boil or steam them.
Then smother them with melted Velveeta.
YUM !!!!

Evan
10-20-2007, 09:00 PM
I like them. The dog doesn't.

dp
10-20-2007, 09:04 PM
&
DP you live close enough we could invite JB over and share a batch. Actually you notice I said they would be prepared when I was ;out of town".

How is the new shaper doing?

Pete

I did :) It's doing great - I reworked the head yesterday and found time to play with the eccentric yoke. It's cleaning up pretty well. I used the book you sent to create a better set of cutters and am getting a much better finish. I'd like to make another ratchet wheel for it but can't get the dang taper pin out of the one that's in there. There's a video of it at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZFFYIvTLiE. Got some more painting done as well.

Thanks for the book - it helps understand a lot of the mystery of this thing. I should have read it before turning it on - it wouldn't have scared the crap outta me.

Evan
10-20-2007, 09:31 PM
I'd like to make another ratchet wheel for it but can't get the dang taper pin out of the one that's in there.

Bang on the little end. :D

I am doing some shaping today and am pushing it to the absolute limit. I have a chunk of 1.5" thick hot rolled plate 10" x 16 .125" long that I am cleaning up. It was flame cut so has really rough slaggy edges and is chewing up the tooling. I also discovered that are are some not so obvious limits to table travel when it is set to the extreme positions. If it is all the way down when centered it will not traverse very far either direction. There are a couple of large nuts on the bottom that interfere with the jack screw casting nose and jam the table.

I have been using various gears from my junk box to give a selection of different ratchets. The gears I am using are of the sintered powder metallurgy type. This turned out to be a good thing. When the table jammed the first thing I knew was the ratchet pawl snapping off the teeth of the gear. Cleaned off about 6 in a row all in one stroke. The good thing is that powder gears are a bit weaker than other types and in this case acted as a fuse preventing damage to other parts like the pawl.

dp
10-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Bang on the little end. :D

Hmm - might have to give that a try. Actually, I've started mushrooming that end so I tried a gear puller and that didn't work either. I'll have to rig up a backing block to avoid damaging the shaft and try again. I need to shim that whole shaft out as the yoke is on an angle in the eccentric and that can't be good.

I am doing some shaping today and am pushing it to the absolute limit. I have a chunk of 1.5" thick hot rolled plate 10" x 16 .125" long that I am cleaning up. It was flame cut so has really rough slaggy edges and is chewing up the tooling. I also discovered that are are some not so obvious limits to table travel when it is set to the extreme positions. If it is all the way down when centered it will not traverse very far either direction. There are a couple of large nuts on the bottom that interfere with the jack screw casting nose and jam the table.

To continue hijacking the thread :) I noticed that when I pulled the table off. It has hidden limits and I think when I start painting the carcass I'll mark the operational envelope as well.

I have been using various gears from my junk box to give a selection of different ratchets.

Did you add any holes to the eccentric to micro-adjust it? That whole rig is a candidate for rethinking as it's limited to the steps provided. Seems like a T slot would make more sense but that assembly is way overbuilt unless those old belt drives had more than one HP turning it.

Evan
10-21-2007, 12:52 AM
Did you add any holes to the eccentric to micro-adjust it?

Yes, I added one next to the left side of neutral. For some reason mine had a close hole on the right but not on the left. This allows for proper sync and minimum index when cutting with the table moving to the right.

Forrest Addy
10-21-2007, 03:41 AM
Pack them into MOAB casing. Arm it with a small bursting charge. Drop it on an insurgent camp in Iraq. The reek will send them runnng for their native lands vowing never again to defy the infidel's vegetables.

IOWOLF
10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
A Hog won't eat a Brussel sprout, or a beet.

oldtiffie
10-21-2007, 07:37 AM
A Hog won't eat a Brussel sprout, or a beet.

I was under the impression (Holy Writ?) that ALL REAL "hogs" were H-D and that they could eat anything.

No?

Oh - silly me.

IOWOLF
10-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Yea, SILLY YOU