PDA

View Full Version : Wrasslin' with Mr. XLO

pntrbl
10-20-2007, 11:14 PM
My $500 Ex-Cell-O's home in the shop but, man, what a wrassle that was! The gentleman I bought it from had an engine hoist and a small A-frame that we used to get it up to trailer height. And this is just the base BTW as he'd already decapitated the head for me. From there we transfered it to my picker which was already on the trailer. Not too bad. Had it on 2 lifting devices at all times. Easy money so far.

But when we got the beast home all we had was my picker. It's installed all the way up to Big Block Pontiac's before with absolute ease, but that was before it met Mr. XLO! About the time we figured out how to get a straight lift it started poppin' and squeaking and then there was that paint flaking off at the pivot. :eek: This wasn't working. And that was just the base.

I had every lifting and pulling device I own on the job but ended borrowing the neighbor's hoist too!

With the 2 hoists we got it safely in the air, pulled the trailer out, and sat it down on blocks. From there it was back and forth with my floorjack, taking out a block out at a time until the jack wouldn't fit no more, and then to the little clamshell on my Porta-Power for the last bit on to some 1" bars. I thought I was prepared for the weight of this thing, but wow, until you actually have that heavy thing up in the breeze you don't really know.

Anyway .... after a very gentle landing ... it's home.:)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Ex-Cell-O001.jpg

Let the scrubbing begin.

SP

Mcgyver
10-21-2007, 09:39 AM
99.99% of the population could never understand how pumped you can get about a rusty dirty old hunk of iron on the garage, but i do. congrats, they are great machines.

Virgil Johnson
10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Take away the controller and that picture would look similar to my garage 5 years ago. I moved a manual 602 to my garage with help from a nephew and bro in law. We used a low trailer and ramps made from c channel. A come along was used to ease the mill down the ramps. Have fun.

wierdscience
10-21-2007, 10:25 AM
Looks good to me,them are heavy mills.I still got parts,but don'y know for how much longer(scrapping iron right now)let me know if you need anything.

tony ennis
10-21-2007, 10:42 AM
Hey! What's the blue-green machine in the background. Looks like an old computer!

When moving heavy gear like that machine, do you have to worry about your jacks punching holes in the concrete?

A.K. Boomer
10-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Always nice when you get them sitting back down on the ground, big sigh of relief,,, the scariest time for me was having the china-hoe's base (brand spankin new) four feet off the ground dangling by a cheap china-hoe come along , the come along was mounted to the beam I installed in my little garage, its nothing more than two 2 by 6's sandwitching a four by four, I could see the chaulking deviating away from the 2 by 6's and the drywall, I hung off the Hoe's base while it still was and inch or two above my trucks bed, let it hang for awhile a little longer and then took the big chance, It was kinda a sick feeling pulling out the mazda from under the hoe but it all worked out (whew)

You got some scrubbing to do all right --- it will be a brute when your finished, hope shes tight and works good for You.

hardtail
10-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I know you got a lot of extras with it, this is one of the models I've recently been interested in, any idea of accurate weight of just the mill?

pntrbl
10-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Hardtail, I have a manual that says 2900 lbs for the 2HP 48" table model. Mine's only a 1.5 HP with the 42" table, but it's still the heaviest object I've ever had off the ground.

SP

Your Old Dog
10-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Looks like someone's going to have an interesting Fall with a scraper and a paint brush :D Congratulations on your addition to the family!

speedy
10-23-2007, 06:07 AM
I take it that you don`t intend moving house any time soon??:D
I`m betting it was beers all round when you got that baby safely on the floor.