PDA

View Full Version : OT: Trailer Dumper

ligito
10-21-2007, 01:45 PM
I have a 4ft 8in x 8ft utility trailer and would like to use an unloading device.
Maybe something like a rubber mat attached at the rear and wrapping around the bottom, up to the front to the top of the load.
I thought if I put something on the front end of the mat to attach a winch to, I could run the front- bottom mounted winch cable under the trailer to the rear and extending forward over the top of the load, to attach to the mat and pull it rearward, when I need to unload the gravel, dirt, bark dust etc.

Any better ideas, I'm sure you're all more inventive than I.
What rubber product would be affordable and durable?

rgbai
10-21-2007, 01:53 PM
like one or these?

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0045293522111a.shtml

ligito
10-21-2007, 02:09 PM
No, I called them and it attaches to a tailgate and just slides the load back.
I want to pull a heavier load (a half yard of gravel etc).
And I'd rather push a button than crank a handle.
Good catch, though.:)

IOWOLF
10-21-2007, 02:20 PM
Go Get a shovel, pansy.

Just getting even for your comment.;)

ligito
10-21-2007, 02:48 PM
This old pansy is way beyond shoveling a trailer full of gravel.:(
My trip to the dump wore me out, trying to get yard debris out, while the wind blew the leaves back into the trailer.
I'll be 67 next week and what's left of my muscles want a break.

Yeah, I know, there are older guys than me doing harder work but they are not me.
It's more tiring for me to work this month in an office, than it is to do more physical work. Probably all of the office B.S. and lazy fellow co-workers with no initiative.
That's why I ask you guys how to do things. I look for an answer from someone that does no how to do something and encourages others that don't.

kendall
10-21-2007, 03:38 PM
Run a length of old conveyor belt under the load and up the front of the trailer, attached at the rear of the trailer and at front to a bit of angle, or 2x wood, chain to it, block wheels hook chain to solid object and pull away, if you have double sided access for dumping you could block trailer wheels then hook chain to trailer hitch and pull away.
Could double as a bed mat so could be left in all the time.

For my old truck I made a shallow box, 3/4 plywood with 2x6 on edge for sides, the tailgate end I left the plywood long sticking out past the sides by approx 6 inches, bottom had several runners on that fit between the ridges on the truck floor, basically slide by tieing off, once it reached a certain point it would tip and dump. Advantage of that construction was that I also had a nice wide ramp when it was pulled out and flipped over

Ken.

gld
10-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I have a 4ft 8in x 8ft utility trailer and would like to use an unloading device.
Maybe something like a rubber mat attached at the rear and wrapping around the bottom, up to the front to the top of the load.
I thought if I put something on the front end of the mat to attach a winch to, I could run the front- bottom mounted winch cable under the trailer to the rear and extending forward over the top of the load, to attach to the mat and pull it rearward, when I need to unload the gravel, dirt, bark dust etc.

Any better ideas, I'm sure you're all more inventive than I.
What rubber product would be affordable and durable?

Try this:
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007102114472149&item=3-1003&catname=hydraulic

andy_b
10-22-2007, 12:50 PM
my cousin has one of those tailgate mat things in his F350 and if the F350 will haul it, the mat will unload it. i would think it would handle a yard of gravel with no problem (provided it was sliding over a relatively flat surface in the trailer). my thinking is, if you would adapt the tailgate mat to your trailer, it would just be a simple addition to add a motor to it when you installed it. then there would be no need for hand-cranking.

of course, you could always put a sheet of plywood on the deck of the trailer and just back up fast and hit the brakes (it does work). :)

andy b.

ligito
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
I have a couple 12 volt Harbor Freight winches that I can use.
A buddy had mentioned the method of running the cable underneath, through a couple of pulleys and mounting the winch in the front.
I just wondered if this method was sound, as my buddy has Alzheimer's and I'm not too sure about his memory.

I also don't know of a good source for conveyor belting, or if pond liner would be substantial enough.

andy_b
10-22-2007, 10:55 PM
I also don't know of a good source for conveyor belting, or if pond liner would be substantial enough.

most of the pond liners i've seen are somewhat pliable to conform to the bottom of the pond. i don't think that's what you'd want to use to pull gravel out of your trailer. at several shooting ranges i go to they have large pieces of conveyor belting used for backstops. i know they don't buy it new, so if there is some type of industrial place near you it may be worth it to ask if they ever throw any old conveyor material out.

andy b.

Your Old Dog
10-23-2007, 06:25 AM
I have a couple 12 volt Harbor Freight winches that I can use.
A buddy had mentioned the method of running the cable underneath, through a couple of pulleys and mounting the winch in the front.
I just wondered if this method was sound, as my buddy has Alzheimer's and I'm not too sure about his memory.

I think your buddy's idea is a pretty good one. I like it better then the tailgate device they make. That tailgate pivots on two points that I don't think are all that strong as they didn't need to be for the intended purpose of simply raising and lowering the tailgate. Besides that, unless your truck is nearly new, those pivot points are likely pretty well rusted through.

My solution these days is to hire someone when I can! It takes me longer to recouperate from the muscle strains then it did years ago :D $20.00 to a neighborhood kid should get that gravel anywhere you want it !!

ligito
10-23-2007, 09:54 PM
My trailer has a landscaper style ramp/tailgate, of my own design on it but I can remove it with 5 bolts, when I reach my destination.
I'll have to find some used conveyor belts.
My friend used to be able to get the salvage belts from the mill but they've changed their policy and won't let employee's take it home, now.
They would rather throw it away and keep them out of it, altogether.

Thanks for the suggestions.