View Full Version : Tool identification

10-21-2007, 10:29 PM
I got the following from my dads collection of stuff.


I have no idea what they are used for. They are about 4 inches in diameter and 1 inch thick. The one with a straight knurl on one edge has a keyway in the center hole, so I assume it is a driven wheel. Therefore I guess something was pinched between the two and pulled along. Ideas?


10-21-2007, 10:44 PM
It looks like a knurling tool for making the guts of old style shower heads. the lower part could be a gage for the housing that holds the knurled part.

Thats just a guess but I bet I could use it to make a brass shower head.

10-21-2007, 10:52 PM
He wasn't a sheetmetal mechanic was he?If so they might be wheels for a Pittsburg machine.

Doc Nickel
10-21-2007, 11:58 PM
That's almost certainly what they are- wheels for a sheetmetal edger/tipper.

The one's kind of sharp, but "shearing" wheels were available for the same machines.


10-22-2007, 12:40 AM
From the evidence in the photos, they appear to be some sort of BUG CRUNCHERS :D