PDA

View Full Version : My balls

jimsehr
10-22-2007, 12:25 PM
I posted this to Practical Machinist, but thought some of you would get a kick out of it.
Jim

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0002-11.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0002-12.jpg

jadecy
10-22-2007, 12:40 PM
that is impressive! How many special tools did you have to make?

Your Old Dog
10-22-2007, 12:46 PM
I just can't bring myself to tell another man he has impressive balls or even nice balls.

Swarf&Sparks
10-22-2007, 01:22 PM
Nope, YOD, I aint got the balls for it either :p

john hobdeclipe
10-22-2007, 08:38 PM
excellent spheres

lane
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
And every one said it could not be done.

panchula
10-22-2007, 11:01 PM
But there's some blue on your balls.

BobC
10-22-2007, 11:09 PM
I would love to try this if I only knew how. Great job.

Bob

oldtiffie
10-23-2007, 12:31 AM
I posted this to Practical Machinist, but thought some of you would get a kick out of it.
Jim

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0002-11.jpg

http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k106/jims_03/IMG_0002-12.jpg

Jim,
that is a truly masterful work of art.

It is the sort of thing that once upon a time a "Journeyman" (finished Apprenticeship, not yet classed as a Tradesman or Craftsman by his peers/Guild etc) would submit to his peers as his "Master-piece" when applying for his upgrading in his craft/trade/guild.

I have seen a few but NOTHING like that.

You must play your lathe like a Maestro on a Stradivarius.

And the tools and planning!!!!

Good examples of Masterpieces can be seen in Museums and some of the "Antiques Road-show" TV programs on the ("Brit") BBC TV "Antiques Road-show" series. (I watch it every week - leaves you awe-struck). Some of those watches, cabinets, telescopes - the list is endless - leave you simply breathless as regards their skill and beauty - and your work is in that class as regards lathe-work.

As example: it is "up there" with the fabled "Fabergé' Egg"
http://www.google.com.au/search?
hl=en&q=faberge+egg&btnG=Google+Search&meta=
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faberg%C3%A9_egg

When I was in the Far East in the Navy in the 50's and 60's I used to see what were copies of a fabulous work of carving in ivory that were either commissioned to be made for presentation to or by the Emperor of China.

They were "balls-within-balls" in ivory.

The balls were carved through very small holes. Needless to say the better the quality of the ivory, the better the finish, the smaller the holes, the greater the number of spheres and the least space between them the better.

Additionally the finish inside the balls was as highly prized as the finish on the outer surface of the balls - which also has to be as perfect a sphere as could be.

I must have spent hours just looking at them trying to comprehend the work, dedication, skill and time that must have gone into them.

As I said, what I saw were copies at a shop in one of the numerous "Tourist Traps" just off Nathan Road, behind the grand "Peninsula" hotel in Hong Kong.

Perhaps some one has a link to them.

Congratulations on the master-piece. I think you'd have got whatever the highest award might have been for "Turning".

oldtiffie
10-23-2007, 12:53 AM
Nope, YOD, I aint got the balls for it either :p

Make the most of what you have while you have it (them).

Anyone over 50 is in or approaching the "Prostate Cancer" zone (about 1 in 6 will get it and of those that get "It", "It" will "get" 1 in 6 or 8 of them).

It feeds on Testosterone. Yep guess where that comes from. And one of the "treatment" options in later stages of it is "chemical" (neutralising)or "radical" (physical removal of) your "balls".

How do I know? I've had Prostate cancer and had my prostate removed.

So far my 6-monthly tests are "clear" to the extent that the diagnostic equipment can't find anything less that 0.1 parts per million (0.1 ppm) - so it can be there - still - at less than 0.1 ppm - and if it is and if it "gets going" again - I've got some difficult options. Which I'm ready for if needs be.

And I will be very surprised if I am alone on this forum in that regard.

I will be even more surprised if some others on this forum don't get similar bad news in the next year or two.

So - look after e'm while you've got them.

We had a really "randy" tom Cat "de-nutted" once. Knocked the sting and steam right out of him. Just sat around for listless just "missing himself" - for days. It sure did change him and "cool him down" I can tell you.

And if you lose 'em you'd better get some good advice from Jim Sehr - and start you master-piece.

It might mean a lot to you!!

Your Old Dog
10-23-2007, 06:10 AM
And I will be very surprised if I am alone on this forum in that regard.

You are not. My guess/hope here is that most of the guys on this forum sharp enough to do some of the projects we've witnessed over the years are also smart enough to know it ain't no big deal getting tested. It's just a simple blood test. Even the biopsies aren't all that big a deal, the more difficult part is waiting for the answers. This is something you do for your family as much as for yourself.

oldtiffie
10-23-2007, 06:16 AM
You are not. My guess/hope here is that most of the guys on this forum sharp enough to do some of the projects we've witnessed over the years are also smart enough to know it ain't no big deal getting tested. It's just a simple blood test. Even the biopsies aren't all that big a deal, the more difficult part is waiting for the answers. This is something you do for your family as much as for yourself.

Thanks YOD.

You nailed it.

Excellent advice - timely too.

speedy
10-23-2007, 07:08 AM
Jim, you are the dogs bollox. Very impressive!!

Yes I have had my check. The Doc inserted his digit up the fun-de-mental (and I was tempted to do a mental)
The news was good, the sensation was less so:eek:

Dawai
10-23-2007, 07:17 AM
I got checked And, I didn't even get flowers.

Testosterone injections? I do them now twice a month. (in addition to the thyroid pills) I cooked mine in a microwave I guess. The month injection wore off in 3 weeks, the two week job in 11 days. Less fluctuations thou with a two week.

Nice balls.. what kind of finish? gun blue?

spkrman15
10-23-2007, 07:20 AM
jim, is that one piece or several stacked on top of each other. Truly amazing work.

Rob :)

oldtiffie
10-23-2007, 07:23 AM

Yes I have had my check. The Doc inserted his digit up the fun-de-mental (and I was tempted to do a mental)

Speedie.

Enjoying the good news is quite OK.

Its when you enjoy the DRE and keep going back for more at weekly intervals that you've got a real problem.

But it sure does straighten your back, snap your neck into place and spread your toes out tho' - don't it?

Your Old Dog
10-23-2007, 07:40 AM

When we got to that part of the examination I said to the doc in a disgusted voice "Oh great, now for the fun part" as I really wasn't looking forward to it. His comment was, "for you or for me?" :D

Norman Atkinson
10-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Might I express just how impressed I am with the quality of the turning.
Now can I push on to the 'plumbing department'?
I am in the category of having had quite a lot of fingers stuck up. Not all at the same time- praise be, but over the years. My eyes have watered- and they still do.
Well, it ended up with me quietly waiting for a bed. the guy who was occupying it hadn't quite finished with it- or this life. Prostate cancer can be treated if tackled( oops) early enough. the poor sod didn't make it and it was my turn to get into one of the these strapless plunging evening dresses- worn backwards. But the Boss Lady reminded me- No full gas sessions but an epidural! Remaining teeth can be knocked out! Bit far from the scene od action but Boss Lady is a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons-- in Dentistry. So here was I firmly slabbed- going in and out of conciousness.

It drifted back to find a greenclad charming Chinese/Scottish lady had a firm grip and was already with the old Black and Decker thingy, boobs pressing in a for a firm grip. Methinks, why am I bothering to have most of my recreational activities terminated?

I still wonder. It isn't a cure- so to speak but the Spam Mail now falls on 'stone less' ground. Nope, fellas, escaped the Big C- for a while.

My urinary infections have reduced but last year- at this time- I picked up something nasty. Finally, I got home and sought help. The doctor prescribed better medication than what I sought. So he thought-- and my balls turned blue.

jimsehr
10-24-2007, 04:45 PM
jadecy
Made lathe fixture to hold cube. Hand ground and lap radius tools made a 1"
square 5c collet. And used my simple homemade ball turner.

Oldtiffie
Thank you for your too generous comments.

David Cofer
I went out to the shop and polished the blue off and burred the ball. It looks
much better now.

Spkrman
There are 5 balls in the stack .First is made from steel the rest from 1 inch alum sq bar.

Speedy
Thanks for comments.

yod
Thanks for comments.

Aviemoron
Hang in there.

Jim Sehr

oldtiffie
10-24-2007, 09:57 PM
jadecy
Made lathe fixture to hold cube. Hand ground and lap radius tools made a 1"
square 5c collet. And used my simple homemade ball turner.

Oldtiffie
Thank you for your too generous comments.

David Cofer
I went out to the shop and polished the blue off and burred the ball. It looks
much better now.

Spkrman
There are 5 balls in the stack .First is made from steel the rest from 1 inch alum sq bar.

Speedy
Thanks for comments.

yod
Thanks for comments.

Aviemoron
Hang in there.

Jim Sehr

Thanks Jim.

Appreciated.

I just said it as I saw it - and on reflection - still do.