PDA

View Full Version : Partnership ?s

wierdscience
05-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Recently a friend has given me a portable hydraulic hose machine for the use of it and to make him a hose or to now and again.I also have other friends who from time to time need hoses made,we can get hoses made locally but like the idea of the conveinence and that its also cheaper.My question is I need to purchase some bulk hose and fittings but can't go it alone money wise,what do you guys think would be the best way to go about it considering there would be other indiviuals involved?

jfsmith
05-17-2003, 11:17 PM
Don't have an attorney or an accountant for a partner. Too many bad experience with those arrangements.

Talk to your vendor and see if can't get a projection price schedule from them, they can be very generous with pricing if they know that you are going to buy quantity.

Tell your supplier, that instead of a one or two peice order every other week, that you would like to do a blanket order for the year, with delivery on demand. Many vendors right now will give you 3rd or 4th column pricing because they will have an idea how much they are going to sell for the year. If you don't meet your expectations; revise them next year. Your supplier may send you some business, to help everyone and keep their sales up.

Jerry

bspooh
05-17-2003, 11:54 PM
Be careful...there's a lot of liability with making hydraulic hoses....technically, you have to make the right hoses with the right couplings on the right machine.....you are not supposed to mix different manufactures couplings with different manufactureres machines....their will never be a gurantee that the "crimp" is sufficient...

I do hydraulic hoses on a regular basis, but there is way too much liability involved...I use a Dayco machine with dayco fittings...I had to go through months of dynamic, static, and impulse testing of my "crimps" before I could sell them with confidence...I wish I could help you, but there is a lot involved in getting the right couplers, hose, and the right machine...

brent

wierdscience
05-18-2003, 03:50 PM
Bspooh,I got Gates crimper,hose and fittings no problem there,also got experience,but you are right I don't mix mfg.you can use somebody elses crimper so long as the hose and fittings are same make.I got a chart that gives finished o.d.of the crimp section by fitting type and hose construction.I got pricing from my Gates dist. on bulk hose and fittings,but 300'of hose here and 50 or so fittings there and wow where did all my money go?I think what I will do is get up an order from all parties involved along with money and order at one time.Then divide it up by $'s.

SJorgensen
05-19-2003, 12:49 AM
If your purposes are to serve the needs of just a close group of freinds and you want to take advantage of quantity discounts on hose and fittings, but don't really want to make a business out of it, maybe you need to create a club. You could get together and create the bylaws and structure so that the group can put in money and get out what they need, but if they ever leave the club they forfeit what ever their investment is. This would probably work as long as the committed money invested in hose, fittings etc isn't too much, and is scaled to the members needs.
Your first message sounded like you might be looking for this kind of alternative. There might be complications that I wouldn't know about because I've never created a club with assets. I'm just putting this out there for discussion.
Spence

bspooh
05-19-2003, 11:27 AM
weirdscience:

I am paying about $1.26 per coupling, which is not a dayco anymore it is a Parker fitting...I use a non-conductive hose which is about $1.50 a foot..

What are you paying for your hose and fittings?? I have pretty good connections, and maybe I can get you your stuff at a better price...but it would be complicated due to you sending me money to cover the parts and shipping, and all that crap that goes along with it..but maybe I can be of some help...let me know...i usually buy 5000 feet of hose at a time, and about 200 couplers at a time...

You should be able to get your cost per hose at about $10.00...including labor...so you can make a little money doing this...

let me know

brent

wierdscience
05-19-2003, 07:53 PM
Brent,I have a quote of $1.46 per'on the 1/2"two wire Gates 300' at a wack,the fittings run between .99 and $1.65 each with a 20 piece minimun.These are perfectly acceptable because the local prices are high,I bought 10'of 3/4"four wire and 4 fittings to test the machine and they hit me $86.00 for it.I noticed that over the scale the prices my local Gates dist, gave me were good but thanks for the offer anyway.I might need some help finding a good supplier of screwed fittings and adapters though.We are trying to work out a deal were we can get an assortment of sizes from 1/4"-1"hose and mostly npt male ends,salesman thinks he can get us a volume deal if we get at least 300'of each size,oh well we will see.Thanks again!

wierdscience
05-19-2003, 08:03 PM
Spence, friends is all and good ones at that,could have all kinds of friends though.We are about to make a move the only people in the circle are people that have a key to my shop anyway.As for bylaws I got one from Colt and two from Mossberg http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net//biggrin.gifI think we have the money situation figured out,we will put it into a poole and buy a basic inventory,then price it out according to what each item cost ,then as we use hose and fittings we will deduct that amount from our share, each of our shares being what we chipped in on the poole.We are going for this method because we feel that this way we can have a larger variety of fittings and misc.After all you never know what you will need next on a machine could be 1/2"could be 3/4"