PDA

View Full Version : Machining Coolant

John R
10-22-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm about to build a coolant system using a 5 gal bucket, a submersable pump and some baffles and screens to sort out the chips. 5 gal of oil cost too much. So I'm looking at using soluble oil (the kind you dilute with water).
I used some a while back and I recall it stained my mill table and caused my hands to itch. Maybe there is something better now.
Do any of you have a recomendation?
Thanks
John R

MickeyD
10-22-2007, 05:34 PM
I use some stuff called liquid ice and love it. Does not eat my hands, stink like chlorine, or stain much. Best one that I have found so far.

wierdscience
10-22-2007, 06:47 PM
This is what I use,KBC carries it-

http://www.synlube-mi.com/coolant_king.htm

Dawai
10-22-2007, 06:56 PM
I think it was Thrud that got me started using corn oil and water mix. I was machining aluminum and it worked well.

BUT, the mice love to chew on the machine where the splatter hits. My pitt bulldogs love to chew on the mice that chew on the cnc.

I found a mouse floating in my coolant box, it fell apart as I fished it out. I guess it was mouse soup.

Davek0974
10-23-2007, 04:28 AM
I'm using Rocol Multisol on everything but cast iron. No rust, leaves an oily film and at 20% i have not got any black stains on the bed yet.

Not much smell either.

Dave

John R
10-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Thanks for your input.

John R

JoeFin
10-25-2007, 09:44 PM
Rustlicks from Grainger is a good synthetic water soluable oil that does not go rancid or stink up the shop. Never noticed any stains so I guess it doesn't do that either.

Mine will get thick from from lack of use and evaporation and once I add a little water it is good to go

cybor462
10-26-2007, 01:08 AM
I use water sol oil for the saw and Koolmist syn for the lathe. Koolmist works well, no real smell and does not stain at all. Mixes with water. ECO friendly as well.