10-23-2007, 02:14 PM
The P M forum seems to be down.

Hal

thistle
10-23-2007, 02:18 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/lathelogo.jpg

Carld
10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Yes, I was just imformed I do not have permission to enter that forum. That was sudden, since I haven't been on it for a week and surely haven't made a foul post that I know of.

lazlo
10-23-2007, 02:23 PM
PM has been down for over an hour (since ~ Noon Central Time).

dp
10-23-2007, 02:35 PM
The blinky adverts still work.

tattoomike68
10-23-2007, 02:42 PM
That forums software needs an upgrade in the worst way. UBB classic is such a hermaphrodite that there are few working database conversions for it so it could be changed to some stable software.

Don needs to archive a whole bunch of stuff. Nuke the site and start over with some better software.

10-23-2007, 02:49 PM
Its been down sence about 11 CST, I just tryed again and its still down...

heavysteamer
10-23-2007, 03:19 PM
down for maintenence

dsergison
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
thistle,

Ha ha that's great! thanks.

tony ennis
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
lol, addicts.

Milacron of PM
10-23-2007, 05:17 PM
Just a note PM may not be up again 'till tonight sometime. Tried (temporarily) archiving both General and General New forums and, unlike every other time this was an issue, the server kept crashing even with that "cure". Web host and others investigating what's going on.

tattoomike68
10-23-2007, 05:45 PM
Just a note PM may not be up again 'till tonight sometime. Tried (temporarily) archiving both General and General New forums and, unlike every other time this was an issue, the server kept crashing even with that "cure". Web host and others investigating what's going on.

Probably attakers from China , one of my sites has been getting brute force hack attempts.

No kidding!

deltaenterprizes
10-23-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks for the info,I'm having withdrawal symptoms!

IOWOLF
10-23-2007, 11:19 PM
Damn, Now we will get the overflow,There goes the neighborhood. :)

10-23-2007, 11:53 PM
Damn, Now we will get the overflow,There goes the neighborhood. :)

I check there about 3 times a day, Then I come here From here i go to machinest web from there to E-Bay. I guess I mite be over flow :D

Too_Many_Tools
10-25-2007, 10:03 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/lathelogo.jpg

Pretty funny!

I did notice that the forum has been very, very slow lately.

I thought it was because Thomas just typed slow. ;<)

Hopefully he will get it up so we can finish some discussions.

TMT

RDL33
10-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Don announced, earlier in the week, that he had to take the Board down to change software. Hopefully it will not take too long fix the underpinnings.

Raymond

tattoomike68
10-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Don announced, earlier in the week, that he had to take the Board down to change software. Hopefully it will not take too long fix the underpinnings.

Raymond

I hope he is not running windows server on the PM server. Now way in hell would I run windows server to make a site.That might be 1/2 the problem.

Linux is the only way to go if you have a busy site.

Too_Many_Tools
10-26-2007, 10:16 PM
Penny wise and pound foolish?

Considering how much money Thomas makes off us over at PM, you would think that he would loosen the purse strings a bit and buy some decent BBS sofware.

I wonder what his advertisers think of his on again off again approach to hosting a BBS? If I were a company buying advertising on the site, Thomas would be running it differently.

Hiring a part time administrator to maintain the site properly instead of the current mucking around with the BBS software would be a positive move also.

TMT

tattoomike68
10-26-2007, 11:24 PM

Considering how much money Thomas makes off us over at PM, you would think that he would loosen the purse strings a bit and buy some decent BBS sofware.

I wonder what his advertisers think of his on again off again approach to hosting a BBS? If I were a company buying advertising on the site, Thomas would be running it differently.

Hiring a part time administrator to maintain the site properly instead of the current mucking around with the BBS software would be a positive move also.

TMT

Ubb classic is old garbage to convert the database means all he can change to is vBulletin and its not that hot, here we dont have any of the good things working, I have a vBulletin forum thats got many of the better features running and this forum is bare bones, the admins here have no clue at all. In short they do suck. (and dont take advice from people who know whats up)

Paying for forum software is plain dumb that what people who are dumb do.

http://www.simplemachines.org/ is free and kicks the crap out of vBulletin. it has whats called a package manager and software mods drop right in and can be removed. Once you change the php files in vBulletin you are screwed unless you are right there to replace a file by FTP.

I admin both types and the vBulletin is second rate slow software. Both get hacker attacks and the SMF is rock soilid and the vBulletin puts up a server crashed message

I know my server software and vBulletin is an upgrade but not much.

lazlo
10-26-2007, 11:27 PM
Considering the overhead to pay for the servers and the monthly bandwidth bill, I don't imagine Don is rolling in cash.

In any even Don has officially announced that PracticalMachinist will be transitioning to VBulletin, which I think will be a great improvement.

I really appreciate Don investing so much work to keep PM alive and well...

Michael Edwards
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM
TMT, "Considering how much money Thomas makes off us over at PM, you would think that he would loosen the purse strings a bit and buy some decent BBS sofware."

It's no secret that you and Don have your differences, but unless you have first hand knowledge of all the income/expenses at PM, your statement could be considered a$$ talk. I am grateful to be able to use both this forum, and PM. There is a wealth of good information and ideas on both sites, including some from you TMT.

ME

Milacron of PM
10-26-2007, 11:31 PM

TMT

1. Seeing as you were kicked off the forum months ago, I'm not sure how you are one of the "us" I'm making money off of.

2. The "on again, off again" you mention has been in the last 6 days. Up until then, the site was "on" continuiously for months without a glitch.

3. The software was never a cost issue, but rather a preference issue. I, and many of the members simply like the UBB Classic format better than any other software. I thought it could continue for a few more years by archiving the General forums as they got oversize, but this time that didn't work...probably due to a corruption in the software itself. I could find and fix the software problem eventually, but it's just not worth the trouble considering a PHP based forum would be inevitable anyway. As of this afternoon, VBulletin is installed on the PM server, just a matter of converting the existing topics/posts to the new format.

Re the "making money" aspect, that is humorous....have ever noticed that I have never even advertised my own business on PM ? I could have a full size banner ad at any time, but never have. Think about it.

lazlo
10-26-2007, 11:36 PM
D.,

When we migrate over to Vbulletin, is there a chance we could lose some of the older threads?

In other words, should we be archiving our favorite threads offline, just in case?

Thanks again!

Robert

Milacron of PM
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
D.,

When we migrate over to Vbulletin, is there a chance we could lose some of the older threads?

In other words, should we be archiving our favorite threads offline, just in case?

Robert Highly unlikely based on reading about other's experiences switching from UBB to VBulletin. But even if some were "lost" they wouldn't really be lost as there are multiple backups on the server and on my hard drives. Me keeping backups on hard drives is almost silly but I do it in case a meteorite plunges into the building that houses the PM server ! ;)

lazlo
10-26-2007, 11:44 PM
Cool! Then it looks like you've got us covered D. Many thanks for handling this!

Too_Many_Tools
10-27-2007, 02:06 AM
TMT, "Considering how much money Thomas makes off us over at PM, you would think that he would loosen the purse strings a bit and buy some decent BBS sofware."

It's no secret that you and Don have your differences, but unless you have first hand knowledge of all the income/expenses at PM, your statement could be considered a$$ talk. I am grateful to be able to use both this forum, and PM. There is a wealth of good information and ideas on both sites, including some from you TMT.

ME

Oh...I think the PM site being a train wreck is more than enough evidence that I know what I am talking about.

A$$ talk? LOL..now you are sounding like Thomas.

I agree that there is a wealth of information on both sites and that is why I continue to visit and post on both.

I wish PM the best but it is obvious that changes need to be made.

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
10-27-2007, 02:08 AM
Considering the overhead to pay for the servers and the monthly bandwidth bill, I don't imagine Don is rolling in cash.

In any even Don has officially announced that PracticalMachinist will be transitioning to VBulletin, which I think will be a great improvement.

I really appreciate Don investing so much work to keep PM alive and well...

Don is making out like a bandit...remember those ads?

TMT

Too_Many_Tools
10-27-2007, 02:31 AM
1. Seeing as you were kicked off the forum months ago, I'm not sure how you are one of the "us" I'm making money off of.

LOL...I never left PM Thomas.

You just kicked off one of my many ids...wanna guess what the others are?

FYI..we had dealt before Thomas...so I knew it was just a matter of time.

Haven't you ever wondered why I never said where I was from?

Good luck with the upgrade.

When do you think it will be done?

I have several discussions going on over there that I need to get back to.

Re the "making money" aspect, that is humorous....have ever noticed that I have never even advertised my own business on PM ? I could have a full size banner ad at any time, but never have. Think about it.

Yeah...yeah...denying it won't make the PM revenues go away.

Just be sure to report it to the IRS.

We all want PM to be around so we can discuss serious topics like muffle tape, dowsing rods and bumping uglies.

TMT

jmm360
10-27-2007, 05:20 AM
TMT,

I don't know what transpired between you and Don, it doesn't really matter, there's usually 2 sides to any story.

As far as him making money from us members, I hope he does, I hope he makes a pile of it. I doubt he does but he deserves to.

I spend a lot of time there along with many others and the amount of information passed around is staggering.

After the last outage several members offered donations which were not accepted, I'm sure if that request was made there would have been a large and positive response.

Good Job Milacron,

Regards,
John

kendall
10-27-2007, 05:25 AM
D.,

Thanks again!

Robert

Realy hope not, I have too many favorite threads, and I don't have enough space here!

Ken.

Milacron of PM
10-27-2007, 10:10 AM
LOL...I never left PM Thomas.

You just kicked off one of my many ids...wanna guess what the others are?

I have several discussions going on over there that I need to get back to.

TMT

A good trick considering all your IP addresses were blocked too. That's fine, just so long as none of your other "Faces of Eve" multiple personalities are not as moronic and disregarding of forum guidelines, as the personality you tend to display as "Too Many Tools"

Milacron of PM
10-27-2007, 10:26 AM
Don is making out like a bandit...remember those ads?

TMT You have no clue, and yet spout nonsense anyway. Prove it.

Also, define "making out like a bandit"...how much profit would that be per month for example, in USD ?

thistle
10-27-2007, 10:51 AM
D.
thank you for all the time and effort you put into the PM forum .

I find it a very useful resource, and get great pleasure from reading it .

thank you.

J Tiers
10-27-2007, 11:13 AM
Don, Thanks.

it's a good forum, and I hope the ads at least pay for it.... hopefully you DO make money off it, because your SHOULD. It isn't as if we all have to send in money for membership, here OR on PM.

There are enough hobby forums with detailed explanations on how to dump abrasive grit on a 7 x 12 to "lap in" the carriage. It is good to have a forum where you can actually get a meaningful answer from people who know something.

That applies here as well, of course, although this forum is more amateur-populated than PM. Amateurs may actually know MORE than "professionals" but "professionals" often have simpler answers. Nice to have a choice.

In any case, edit the members as much as you need to. it seems to be working.

And I surely hope it pays well enough to handle getting thru the garbage new user applicants, and dealing with the "bad drunks".

The only bad end of the new software is that with each "improvement" it seems to get harder to see sufficient posts on one page to allow scanning for interesting ones. Now that I have DSL it isn't so bad as it was with dial-up, though.

Thanks again (even if you ARE "pandering" to our need to waste more time than we should ;) )

Too_Many_Tools
10-28-2007, 12:24 AM
TMT,

I don't know what transpired between you and Don, it doesn't really matter, there's usually 2 sides to any story.

Regards,
John

Nor do I John...Thomas has a history of kicking people off the PM site without giving a reason. Do some research and you will find that what I am saying is true.

I am not the only one that this has happened to...but I am one of the few who was prepared for his actions.

Having had business dealings with him in the past gave me insight as to what might happen when you disagree with The Supreme Being.

I wish him the best with the PM site...I hope he makes even more money in the future than he is doing now.

I do wonder how his advertisers would react if they realized that his behavior is alienating users...and their customers.

I do wish he would quit spending so much time over here at HSM (which he has repeatily slammed in the past) and get his site up and running ASAP....many of us have unfinished discussions that were in progress when PM went belly up.

TMT

Milacron of PM
10-28-2007, 12:55 AM
Thomas has a history of kicking people off the PM site without giving a reason. Do some research and you will find that what I am saying is true. You're in a pretty exclusive club TMT. I can think of six other "kick outs" that were regular members in the entire history of PM...the others were either one time spammers or folks that requested deletion from the roles.

So, lets see, out of 32,000 members, that's about .02 percent...yep, that's a "history" of kicking people off PM....NOT. TMT you are so FOS it's just unbelievable.

But hey, prove me wrong...name some names. After all, you just need to do some "research" right ?

Having had business dealings with him in the past gave me insight as to what might happen when you disagree with The Supreme Being. Business dealings ? If so, I've forgot what it involved and have no idea what you are talking about. Please enlighten me.