PDA

View Full Version : New lathe chuck

QSIMDO
10-24-2007, 06:08 PM
I've been thinking of upgrading my lathe chuck and so far I've found only one Bison with the 1.75/8 thread to match my spindle.

Not real popular I take it?

Looking for a 6" 4 jaw. Suggestions?

wierdscience
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
Are you stuck on buying a direct mount chuck?There is always the option of buying a threaded backplate and a plain back chuck of your choice and fitting.

torker
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I'd like a Bison chuck for my lathe. Good reputation...much better than the Golden Goose...or Golden Yam or whatever I have on it now.

oldtiffie
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Are you stuck on buying a direct mount chuck?There is always the option of buying a threaded backplate and a plain back chuck of your choice and fitting.

Good response wierd.

Why only Bison? There are lots of quite good chucks which if/when added to "Bison" (which as I understand it are excellent) as the range of options and costs available will be much greater. Pick severaal that wil or might meet your requirment and then "thin them out" to get the final few that you like and then go for the best of that last group.

And FWIW, I have no bias or preference toward or away from any of them - if they do the job for the money asked - that's the one I go for.

I hope it helps.

QSIMDO
10-24-2007, 08:44 PM
I should rephrase.
The only one I found so far with 1.75"/8 thread was a Bison and at this moment I'm not familiar enough with other mounting methods to make informed choices.
Monetary considerations as well.
But I can't seem to locate a back plate with that thread either.

MickeyD
10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
I have a 6" 3 jaw and a 10" 4 jaw Bison and I am very happy with the quality. The finish is not quite as nice as my older buck, but runout and smoothness are both good. I would buy one any day over an oriental or indian import.

oldtiffie
10-24-2007, 08:59 PM
I should rephrase.
The only one I found so far with 1.75"/8 thread was a Bison and at this moment I'm not familiar enough with other mounting methods to make informed choices.
Monetary considerations as well.
But I can't seem to locate a back plate with that thread either.

Sorry - couldn't find a plate to suit either (quick check only).

CDCO.com have some - 6" semi-finished US$38 - but not your thread. Any chance of you boring and cutting a thread to suit?

I know its a PITA but is it possible to use or adapt a backing plate you already have - perhaps on another chuck?