10-24-2007, 09:48 PM
i got to lookin,
and ive got my main motor,,,
220V 0r 220-440, 3phase,
ive got a lower motor on the power-feed transmission, all axis,
thats 3phase only,,

looking for someone to help me pick out a VDF unit for both,
as im electricaly challenged,

itd be nice to have someone help me, who knows about this stuff and give me the web-page and part number,
maybe dealers electric??

main motor, tag says,

code-L HP-1
RPM-1800
cycle-60
Volts-220-440
AMPS-3.6-1.8
Duty-cont 0C rise-55
may be used on 208 volts system--stated at bottom of tag,
--------------------------------------------------------------------

small power-feed motor

model I4053 A SER B-63
208-220/440 Volts 3 PH
55 C rise cont frame 56
1725/1425 RPM 60/50 cyc
1.2/.6-1.3/.65 amps 1/4 H.P.
code L type TE

delco products

ive taken pics of the motor tags, and i can email the pics to you, so youll have all the info,
i need to get the photbucket set up yet,

thank you,

EI

garyphansen
10-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Why not call Well Index and ask them for advice. I think they are the only American Mill maker left. They are located in Muskegon, MI. Gary P. Hansen

ERBenoit
10-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Why not call Well Index and ask them for advice. I think they are the only American Mill maker left. They are located in Muskegon, MI. Gary P. Hansen

Not to get off topic, Hardinge bought the Bridgeport name. Hardinge is manufacturing the Bridgeport Series I mill in their New York facility. If the same is true for their CNC lines, I do not know.

thistle
10-25-2007, 07:30 AM
i put a vfd on my well index head , got a Teco Fm 100 from Dealers electric.

I pulled off the start, stop, reverse lever as supplied ont he machine- it was crushed any way and made a plate and bolted the VFD on its place- so its on the left of the machine head.

you need to be able to reverse the rotation as the spindle changes rotation when you get out of back gear

havent had the time ,but I want to go and use the aux strip on the VFD to run a couple of start stop buttons ,and a revese switch as well

- i did this on a adrill press it works quite nicely.

on the mill i have to stop and think about what i am doing to operate the small buttons on the keypad, and acouple of times have hit reverse or forward by mistake and the mill stops and restarts in forward when i wanted it stopped.

on the drill i put one stop switch that i can hit with my foot and one i can head butt if need be - for when your hands are full and the machine needs off - NOW

i would suggest something similar for a mill -

I am assuming you have the old style power feed - that is located on the left side of the knee , driving the feed screw through a shaft and not a newer stylr servo power feed that hangs where the handwheel goes on the right side of the table.

shouldnt be a problem with that

wingnutt
10-25-2007, 08:19 AM
you need to be able to reverse the rotation as the spindle changes rotation when you get out of back gear,

Please explain this to me, im not following it,,,(the back-gear)

havent had the time ,but I want to go and use the aux strip on the VFD to run a couple of start stop buttons ,and a revese switch as well

is there instructions for doing this??

thanks
EI

thistle
10-25-2007, 08:54 AM
In low speed the spindle is geared , in high speed it is direct drive, the spindle goes one way in high speed (direct drive) the other in low speed (geared drive).

hence you need reverse

there are diagrams to show the differant set ups, which can be confusing if you are unfamiliar with electrical stuff, but if you are diligent and read up, or get some one who knows - no prob.

mayfieldtm
10-25-2007, 09:17 AM
I don't know how your motors are wired, but, there could be a problem with driving both motors from one drive unless their both always on and off together at the same time. VFDs don't like their output loads being switched on/off while power is applied.

If doable? Replacing the lower 1/4h motor with a single phase motor might be cheaper than it's own VFD.

Tom M.

SGW
10-25-2007, 09:38 AM
www.vfds.com has some 1/4 hp VFDs, but Tom's idea of replacing the motor may be more to the point.

Instructions for wiring will come with the VFD(s). If they are anything like the instructions that came with mine they will be:
1. Complete
2. Opaque
It will likely take careful reading to extract the information for wiring up remote control buttons, but based on my experience all the information is in the instructions, if you cogitate sufficiently.

I've seen VFD instruction manuals online someplace; try poking around www.dealerselectric.com or www.vfds.com or other VFD site and see if you can find some. It will give you an idea of what you may be getting into.

DR
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
If doable? Replacing the lower 1/4h motor with a single phase motor might be cheaper than it's own VFD.

Buy a separate VFD for this motor. They're very affordable these days. Besides, when you replace three phase motors with single phase you're lowering the machine's resale value.

wingnutt
10-25-2007, 11:23 AM
I dont understand the "back-gear part"

ive got a 2step pully on the motor,
that goes to another pully system in the back,

then goes to the quil head pullys,

so where or whats a back gear???

ive got a switch, forward, off, reverse,,,

thats it,,, 90-2700 rpm

see it here--pully system

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/elginiron/

EI,