PDA

View Full Version : Any plans or designs for bench-grinder tool rests?

Doc Nickel
10-24-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm starting to work on two more stands for some bench grinders, and I figured why not kill two birds with one stone, and add some larger and sturdier tool rests as well?

The rests on the (decent import) grinder are at least cast... well, metal... not sure you could call 'em iron, but I'm sure that's what they were supposed to be. :D

But as usual, they're pretty small, one has an utterly useless "drill sharpening" V-groove that renders the rest of the tool rest equally useless, and both are held on by a small carriage bolt and a wing nut that invaribly loosen under vibration.

So I'm thinking something along the lines of a larger L or U shaped rest, quite a bit bigger but not too big, and well-supported, probably off of mounts welded to the stand or baseplate.

But I figure they should also be relatively adjustable for angle, at least in one dimension (fore/aft) and almost certainly for height.

Anyone have some relatively simple plans or ideas for such a thing? I'm sure I can come up with something, but I can always use a few ideas or previous versions to jumpstart the design process.

Doc.

Oldguy
10-25-2007, 01:53 AM
Don't have any plans, but we recently got a couple of the grinder tables shown in this link:

http://www.accu-finish.com/grindr.html#twin

at the community college where I'm taking a machine shop class. The picture and drawing give a so-so idea of how to build it. Not real involved with the two curved plates that are welded to the table and slide on a pair of guide pins to pivot at the grinding wheel face. The highest tech part is probably the sticker with the degree markings.

Glenn

BadDog
10-25-2007, 03:48 AM
Even the baldor rests are pretty useless now, so I built one for my new 7x1 Baldor. But no plans.

I started with a piece of 1/2 thick 4 x 5 (or something like that) angle iron. I squared up and fly cut the outer surfaces for a (near) perfectly square very smooth surface, and also did the inside surface of the vertical wall where it bolted up to be (near) perfectly parallel to the outer surface (and so square to the top). I then squared up and finished all 6 end cuts with an end mill. The bottom side was just rough cleaned up to get the scale off.

I then cut a 1" wide slot where the table would meet the grinder wheel, so it would sorta wrap around the wheel for the occasional light side/flat grinding (yeah, I know). The bottom of the notch was cut back 45* so that the table could be tilted down a bit over 45* while still staying VERY close on the wheel. As fitted, there is only about 1/32 gap on the side, maybe less.

It's also sized to be "just right" between the depth of the notch and the nicely squared back (near) surface to guide a table saw protractor for setting angles that way. And I have in mind building other tooling for it as well. For instance, I borrowed a nice diamond dresser holder from a friend of mine to true up the stones initially. It's got a step so it will track that straight edge and make a (near) perfectly flat dress on the wheels with square corners. Then a dust off with a Norbide to remove the dulled top grains, and it SWEET to run, so smooooothhhh.... Also cuts faster and cooler than I ever thought possible. Amazing how much better then my old 6x1 POS with HF stones...

That was the prototype. Shoulda done 2, but wasn't sure how I would like it. But I like it VERY well. Now to get time/energy to do another for the other side.

Picture doesn't do it justice. It looks very nice-n-shiney.

http://www.members.cox.net/darthtruggy/junk/grinder1.jpg

Norman Atkinson
10-25-2007, 04:28 AM
At the risk of repetition, superior rests are in the files section of YahooGroups ToolGrinding.

However, the number of articles regarding the improvement date as far as I am aware to people like Ian Bradley who saw the same problem in his The Grinding Machine and a similar one in his book on grinding Lathe and Shaper tools.

John S and I have are just two who have written on usung the cheap but far from nasty 3 way chinese vice. John added a set of collets and a spin indexer to do end mills and slot drills. I was a bit more basic but I did modify one for the Hell of it.

If Lawnm.wanadoo.co. uk is accessed it contains the Kennet grinder from Model Engineering Services. Whilst this includes a spindle and motive power in the kit, the idea can be applied to the DE grinder. Again, Hemingwaykits has the Worden which in when in Mark 1 form, I used with a grinder.
Probably the piece de resistance comes with G H Thomas who wrote of his own grinder in the Model Engineers Workshop Manual.

This is hardly new stuff but I am hoping to start an index in Quorn_Owners to attempt to list the various tool and cutter grinder articles for easier access.
It will not be confined to the Quorn but will embrace the many other designs.
If Doc will forgive me, I would thank him for the opportunity to raise the matter here on a wider picture for us all. Unquestionably, I would hope that his efforts will be published and be part of the general index.

Fasttrack
10-25-2007, 07:28 PM
Go back and check out some old home shop machinist magaizines, if you have them. They are about 400 miles away from me at the moment, but i had one pulled out that detailed the construction of a really nice tool rest that had angle and height adjustablity with the crank of a knob. Looked fairly easy and cost effective to build.

Next time i go home, if your still looking for plans, i can track it down for you.

Lew Hartswick
10-25-2007, 07:47 PM
I built a couple like Bad Dog for the two grinders at school.
for a couple pix see: home.earthlink.net/~lhartswick and look at
the two (I think called grinder rest or some such ) Shouldn't be hard
to figure out. :-)
...lew...

Doc Nickel
10-25-2007, 09:43 PM
Oldguy- That's kind of what I was thinking of originally, but I'm not sure I need them quite that complex. I plan on getting one of those import carbide grinders that everyone raves about, and those have the wide tables with a groove for a protractor-type guide fence.

Baddog- That's not bad. I don't have the big bosses to bolt to as you do, but I figured I'd need to weld up some stanchions off the baseplate anyway.

Does anyone think I'll need left/right tilt, or will fore/aft only be enough for most day-to-day grinding? (Again, keeping in mind I'll be getting a dedicated carbide grinder.)

Doc.

wierdscience
10-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Doc,I have been thinking of a heavy duty rest with a built in diamond dresser underneath,just I never have had time to build it.

But a built in dresser might be a good idea,especially if the twist of a couple knobs leaves a fresh,clean,flatface on a wheel.

Doc Nickel
10-26-2007, 12:51 AM
I was thinking of something similar.

Either a groove for a sliding guide (like the commercial unit linked above, or the carbide grinders) or just make the back edge smooth and square to the wheel, so a diamond dresser carrier could be slid along to dress and square the stone.

As far as the dresser goes, a groove would probably be better, so it can't (easily) be pushed away from the wheel.

Doc.

lugnut
10-26-2007, 01:20 AM
http://homepage3.nifty.com/amigos/index-e.html
Ishimura has a neet grider rest, Tool #5. I made one and like it.
Mel

Jim Hubbell
10-26-2007, 02:48 AM
While this is not what you asked for I thought it might give some ideas. A rack&pinion move the table in the X direction and the Y (infeed ) is with the screw. The setup shown will grind a 60deg. threading bit " right on ". As I dream up different uses, they may be added easily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shopm8

Doc Nickel
10-26-2007, 06:11 PM
While this is not what you asked for I thought it might give some ideas. A rack&pinion move the table in the X direction and the Y (infeed ) is with the screw. The setup shown will grind a 60deg. threading bit " right on ". As I dream up different uses, they may be added easily.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shopm8

-I don't think I need to go quite that far. I have an older Van Dorn "valve and tool" grinder that I plan to refurbish and use for things like that. Besides the built-in oil coolant, it has the usual sliding table of the larger valve grinders, with about six inches of travel.

I figure with a couple of fairly easy fixtures, that can be quickly and easily set up for common, repetitive jobs like grinding 60-degree threading bits and the like.

So it's not like this bench grinder will be the only wheel in the shop. Once it's all said and done, I'll have something like six bench-type grinders, including the Lisle drill sharpener and the little tungsten-only cheap import attached to the TIG welder.

But as I said, replacing the little, floppy and wobbly sheetmetal tool rests will go a long ways towards making the standard bench grinder more useful.

Doc.

lane
10-26-2007, 06:52 PM
How about something like this . Don`t have drawings but if you want I can draw some. Top view on grinder.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest003.jpg
Top and side view .
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest001.jpg
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest002.jpg

Another view on another grinder.
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest004.jpg
The platen is 4 inches wide 3 inch's long . Stand is 1/4 by 2.00 mat adj links are 1/4 3/4 by 3 1/2 long holes 5/16 for 5/16carrage bolts. you can build one from the pictures only if need to .
May be you will like these. Lane

lane
10-26-2007, 06:54 PM
If not how about this one,
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest005.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w277/lane5263/grinderrest006.jpg

This was in Projects in Metal many years ago.

wirewrkr
10-26-2007, 07:01 PM
WOW Lane, those are really cool, I am needing some rests for my recently refurbished Milwaukee bench grinder and those are the ticket! Way cool. THanks.
Robert

Too_Many_Tools
10-28-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm starting to work on two more stands for some bench grinders, and I figured why not kill two birds with one stone, and add some larger and sturdier tool rests as well?

The rests on the (decent import) grinder are at least cast... well, metal... not sure you could call 'em iron, but I'm sure that's what they were supposed to be. :D

But as usual, they're pretty small, one has an utterly useless "drill sharpening" V-groove that renders the rest of the tool rest equally useless, and both are held on by a small carriage bolt and a wing nut that invaribly loosen under vibration.

So I'm thinking something along the lines of a larger L or U shaped rest, quite a bit bigger but not too big, and well-supported, probably off of mounts welded to the stand or baseplate.

But I figure they should also be relatively adjustable for angle, at least in one dimension (fore/aft) and almost certainly for height.

Anyone have some relatively simple plans or ideas for such a thing? I'm sure I can come up with something, but I can always use a few ideas or previous versions to jumpstart the design process.

Doc.

Thanks for starting this discussion...it is very good.

TMT