PDA

View Full Version : OT Looking for Texans Need some Weather

cybor462
10-26-2007, 01:18 AM
Heah partners looking for some rustlers from Texas. I was hoping to get a weather report for around Thanksgiving. I will be flying to San Antonio for my son's grad from basic and have no clue what clothes to bring.

Could anyone give me an idea of temps. for the end of Nov. and maybe type of weather.

:confused:

ProGunOne
10-26-2007, 02:29 AM
I was down there (Lackland AFB) in Sept 2001 to watch my son do the same. Great memory and very proud moment. It was HOT!!! Not sure what the weather is usually like around Thanksgiving. Toured the Alamo and had lunch (Mexican) on the river walk. Over the past 25 years I've made many trips to the Abilene Texas area to visit in-laws. Some fine folks down there, I would visit there (San Antone) again.

MickeyD
10-26-2007, 08:29 AM
I am in Austin (an hour up the road from SA) and it is 39 degrees right now and supposed to top out at 80 this afternoon. Not unusual for this time of year, but often gets much hotter (low 90's). Doubt that you will see a blizzard, but most anything else is on the table.

lazlo
10-26-2007, 08:42 AM
Mickey, I think you meant to say that its 47 right now in Austin :)

We're having a rare "Cold Front" in Central Texas, so we're getting down to the 40's at night, and back up to 80 in the afternoon.
As far as Thanksgiving, like Mickey says -- you'll need to check back closer to November. Chances are, we'll be back in the high 80's to low 90's.

john hobdeclipe
10-26-2007, 08:58 AM
Assuming that San Antonio weather is like Dallas area weather, you should bring some hot weather clothes, some cold weather clothes, and be ready to change at a moments notice.

cybor462
10-26-2007, 09:18 AM
Ok now I am more confused :) I saw the 40* night temps and thought it was weather like here in PA. But to get into the 80's and 90's during the day, I guess I will need to bring cold and warm weather clothes.

ProGun...yes I expect it to be a real moment watching him graduate. Then I will be going to Floriday in April when he graduates tech school. He is going for TACP. The unit he is attached to has already received their orders for Iraq next year just when he finishes tech school. We will see how that all plays out.

I expect to see the Alamo and the other attractions.

Any of you guys that are close by to the base I get in 11/21 in the PM and will have nothing to do that day. If your not tied up with holiday stuff would love to have a beer with ya and shoot the sh*t. Let me know if any of you guys would be just hangin.
I got the rental with unlimited mileage so driving would not be an issue except for not knowing where I would be going. :D

Jim

MickeyD
10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
I am on the north side of town and we have frost on the roof and grass. I got up and took the dogs out and looked at the thermometer and could not believe how cold it had gotten. I was out in the garage last night and it got a little chilly, but I did not think that it was this cold.

Alistair Hosie
10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
I hope the weathers fine and you have a great day kindest regards. Alistair

cybor462
10-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Alistair..thank you for your regards. I hope it is nice as well. It is the biggest thing in my son's life so far. He is proud to defend his country.

I will check in as it gets closer to get a report from you Texas guys.

Thanks

CCWKen
10-26-2007, 08:06 PM
I'm about 25 miles SW of San Antonio. It's been dang bitter cold down here for the past week. Got down to 38 last night. About an hour after the sun comes up, it hits the 50's then climbs from there. I think it was 78 or 80 something today. It's now 70 (7:02pm local).

This is unusually cold for this time of the year. Ain't doin' the tomatoes any good. Our winter down here normally runs from about January to the first week of February. We start planting in March!

HWooldridge
10-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Yeah, you never can tell. I live about 5 miles north of 1604 just inside Comal County (30 minutes from downtown SA).

Some years, it can be in the forties and raining - or it might be a balmy 80 degrees and clear to Dallas. There just isn't any predicting but the forecast should be pretty accurate if you check it just before leaving. More likely than not, you may be able to wear shirt sleeves with maybe a light jacket in the morning. It can easily be 20's at dawn and then 70's by noon if a front has blown in and the weather is dry.

cybor462
10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
Ken...are you busy on the 21st of Nov.? I would not mind a 25 mile trip to visit. I know many will be wrapped up with Thanksgiving. Let me know.

KiddZimaHater
10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I live in San Antonio.
Around Thanksgiving time, it's usually in the 50's or 60's during the day.
Not intensely cold.
It may drop down to a whopping 40 degrees at night.
Just pack a medium jacket. You won't freeze.
Enjoy the RiverWalk, and catch a SPURS game if you can. ;)

jimsehr
10-26-2007, 09:21 PM
I live in the foothills less then 10 miles from town, but it can be snowing here and clear in town. So I go to the National Weather Service site and put in my
zip code and get a seven day forcast. Within 5 miles of my house. Better then the local paper.
Jim

lazlo
10-26-2007, 11:43 PM
I expect to see the Alamo and the other attractions.

That's a tourist joke in Texas: it takes 15 minutes to see the Alamo, which is downtown at the beginning of the RiverWalk. :)

Any of you guys that are close by to the base I get in 11/21 in the PM and will have nothing to do that day. If your not tied up with holiday stuff would love to have a beer with ya and shoot the sh*t. Let me know if any of you guys would be just hangin.

Jim, I have to confirm with SWMBO, but I'd love to meet you. We could either drive up to Austin and I can give you a shop tour, or I could take you around Austin, or San Antonio.

Let me know when it gets a little closer to Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

Robert

CCWKen
10-26-2007, 11:50 PM
Hey Klem, you're right about a full house on Thanksgiving but I'm not sure I'll be back from a "road trip" just yet. (Yeah, I found some equipment.) :) I'm still working on the details and logistics. I should know more by the middle of next week. I'll PM ya when I get more info.

Ken Kopsky

cybor462
10-27-2007, 06:22 PM
That's a tourist joke in Texas: it takes 15 minutes to see the Alamo, which is downtown at the beginning of the RiverWalk. :)

Jim, I have to confirm with SWMBO, but I'd love to meet you. We could either drive up to Austin and I can give you a shop tour, or I could take you around Austin, or San Antonio.

Let me know when it gets a little closer to Thanksgiving.

Cheers,

Robert
Bob
Sounds good. I will email when it gets closer, heck it is getting closer, seems like my son just left and he has already put in over 3 weeks.

I suspect it will be hectic right before I leave so I will get in touch the week before. If you want to email your phone or cell phone number I could call when I am in San Antonio. My email is cybor462@comcast.net

Would love to see your shop.

Ken....I know the holidays are hectic, if you are around and have a few minutes It would be cool to meet you. We had many conversations through the board, saw many pics (Kenbota will always stick in my mind) would be cool to meet the man behind the pics.

Let me know.

Thanks to all you guys for your weather updates. I will get this post going again as it gets closer so you can give me the latest report.