PDA

View Full Version : Spelling

John R
10-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Is there a way to spell check on this forum?
John R

Spin Doctor
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Well you can do it the klunky way and write all of your posts in a Word Processor (your coice as to which) and cut and paste to here. Or you can just learn to spell. And when you learn how. Teach me. :D

speedy
10-26-2007, 03:44 PM
Google page has an auto check function on the toolbar. It works four me.

DR
10-26-2007, 03:47 PM
If you're using Internet Explorer here's a freebie,

http://www.iespell.com/

GadgetBuilder
10-26-2007, 03:51 PM
I believe FireFox 2 includes a spell checker. It seems to underline peculiar spellings with a red dotted line.

John

Alistair Hosie
10-26-2007, 06:04 PM
My typing is very bad and I do my best to check it over before hitting the button to post.However sometimes if I am not too tired I cut and paste into the email box them press spell check, when done I reverse the procedure. This is not very often just when I am feeling good.Alistair

Your Old Dog
10-26-2007, 06:09 PM
I use the one suggested by IOWOLF. It works great for me. I think it spells better than my syntax which is fool of errors :D

Evan
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
I never make smelling mistakes.

Pete H
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
Nobuddy kin spel enymor enyhow.

Thomas Staubo
10-26-2007, 07:12 PM
I believe FireFox 2 includes a spell checker. It seems to underline peculiar spellings with a red dotted line.
John
That is correct, John.
I have used Firefox for many years now, and when I upgraded to v2.0 not so long ago, I automatically got the spell checker.
It spell checks every text entry box, very neat indeed :) .

PS.
There is also so many useful add-ons to Firefox, the one I definitely use the most is "DictionarySearch".
I can just highlight and right click a word I don't understand, then choose "search dictionary for ..."
It's set as standard to use The Free Dictionary (http://www.tfd.com), but you can change that if you want.

Lew Hartswick
10-26-2007, 09:28 PM
I keep a dictionary int he drawer below the monitor. If it's some weird
word I "wingit" . :-)
The bigest "nasty" to me is using an incorect word that is spelled
correctly, like there for their etc. way to often. Cussed "spellchecker"
folks get so use to depending on them they don't even think any more.
One of my pet peeves, they don't teach anything in school any longer.
Spelling should be right up there with arithmetic. It's disgusting the
inability of high school seniors to do simple arithmetic.
Oh well I feel better now. :-) Almost just cancelled this. :-)
...lew...

oldtiffie
10-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Is there a way to spell check on this forum?
John R

John,
if you are using IE as your browser try ieSpell

Its free and its great.

Quite a quick down-load and set-up.

I can spell OK - mostly - but my fingers can't.

I hope you like it.

gmatov
10-28-2007, 11:34 PM
If you decide to use a "Spellchecker", mebbe you should decide to type slower, not NEED a spellchecker, unless you really CAN'T spell.

I can't type worth a damn. Will type a reply, spend more time checking it than the original typing took.

I CAN spell better than the average person, just that my fingers get way ahead of me, have to correct things.

I HATE to misspell anything I post, not the least there are some ignorami who will jump your ass for a misspell.

"Look, he can't even spell "asshole", why should we pay him any nevermind?"

It comes down to if you want to come across as halfway intelligent, you will try to spell correctly.

If you want to come across as one who walked his way through grade and high school, hey, put all them letters in any combination you want. I don't have to pay you any attention, whatsoever.

I don't, normally. If I see a Heading that looks interesting, and click and see idiocy, I go to the next post.

300 million people in the US. How many thousands here, we got to have about the same percentage of nutcases as in the general population.

I ain't gonna name them, but, we got them.

Cheers,

George

darryl
10-29-2007, 04:06 AM
OR, you can scroll to the top of this page, then about halfway down click on user cp- then on the left side click on edit options- then scroll to the bottom and under miscellaneous options change from basic editor to enhanced interface. Then on the top right of this reply window, you can set the editor mode. One of those modes gives you spell check.

oldtiffie
10-29-2007, 05:05 AM
OR, you can scroll to the top of this page, then about halfway down click on user cp- then on the left side click on edit options- then scroll to the bottom and under miscellaneous options change from basic editor to enhanced interface. Then on the top right of this reply window, you can set the editor mode. One of those modes gives you spell check.

Thanks darryl.

I don't know how many times I've looked at that setting and not had it register what it was but its clear enough now that you've pointed it out.

It's now on my "Favoutites" as "AAA-Free dictionary" so that it is right at the top - where I can find it.

For gmatov:

George, I agree with what you say.

I was taught that among other things, its bad manners and discourteous to send anything in writing that is neither spelled correctly nor clear in its intent.

In the Navy - both "Uniform" and "Civilian" - it was essential that these criteria be met else it would be returned post haste with a "blast" for it to be re-written and re-submitted. The general reason being that your submission/s had to be clear enough to be supported, rejected or considered on merit. "Senior's" were very reluctant to argue or support anything that was not clear and correct as their assessments by their Senior's was largely assessed on their skills in managing these skills in their "team/s".

There were no such things as computers in those early days. Hand-writing was bad enough but when you had to re-do a typed submission it was real PITA - in a lot of ways.

It helped when we had a Typing Pool, but it got worse when we got computers and primitive so-called "Word-processors".

Email was even worse!! as it was all intra-net - local and remote.

Access to the Internet was not allowed other than for a priveleged few.

All of this excellent access to the Internet and the like is a mixed blessing at times - a bit like the "Curate's Egg" - good in parts.

The same goes for mobile phones. I have one but I only wear it when I am out, and I only turn it on when I have reason to divert the house phone to it. Not otherwise. And it works. I still have a "Nokia" 5110 and would not make 5 calls a month - tops - on it.

I hope this helps.

IOWOLF
10-29-2007, 06:07 AM
OK, the guy asked for a spell checker not a Ration of crap or a lecture on what you should know or do,Give him a Friggin' break.

oldtiffie
10-29-2007, 07:11 AM
OK, the guy asked for a spell checker not a Ration of crap or a lecture on what you should know or do,Give him a Friggin' break.

He (John R) - the original poster (OP) has already had three suggested "Spell-checkers" so far: "Google"; "IEspell" and "Firefox" which is a pretty good effort by some, and he has not responded in any way - yet.

Sure, he got some gratuitous advice - as many of us do .........and get.

So, all-in-all I think it was a good effort and result.

John R
10-29-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks for your help
I loaded iespell
John R

oldtiffie
10-29-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your help
I loaded iespell
John R

Thanks John.

Norman Atkinson
10-29-2007, 09:28 AM
The snag with a spell check is that it cannot spell. Moreover, it certainly cannot check grammar.
Who can sort out its, it's or its'?
Who can decide upon should and would or shall and will?

I confess to a lack of punctuation but I write as I pee- quickly and in any direction.
And of course, the P is silent as in 'bath'

And who are the ones speaking from the belly of abysmal ignorance by using 'quotes' instead of quotations?

oldtiffie
10-29-2007, 10:06 AM
The snag with a spell check is that it cannot spell. Moreover, it certainly cannot check grammar.
Who can sort out its, it's or its'?
Who can decide upon should and would or shall and will?

I confess to a lack of punctuation but I write as I pee- quickly and in any direction.

And who are the ones speaking from the belly of abysmal ignorance by using 'quotes' instead of quotations?

'coz itza norm 'ere dats woi.

Yankee1
10-29-2007, 03:23 PM
When using" Windows" just right click and select "Check Spelling".

Norman Atkinson
10-29-2007, 03:30 PM
And the Windows programme can spell?
Come off it. Who DO you think that you are kidding?

speedy
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
Im `fraid that theres no way round it. Even with spell check ya still hafta no how to spell and punctuate. Do I get marks for trying hard at my england?

Norman Atkinson
10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Ken, me ole upside down en-titty!

I can excuse anything- apart from you stopping breathing.

Keep well, me ole cocker- s'all right by me.

Norm-

'And you can tell a man who boozes
by the company he choozes

and the little pig got up

and slowly walked away'

speedy
10-29-2007, 05:35 PM
I can excuse anything- apart from you stopping breathing./I confess to a lack of punctuation but I write as I pee- quickly and in any direction.

Reciprocated and likewise my English friend.
The question still ramains.. they may also be silent but how can we best hide the bubbles??

Norman Atkinson
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Ken,
You really need a 'puff adder'.

And from the - well, Kiwi lot

Lady going around the cinema selling ice creams during the interval
She was almost whispering
'Ice creams,Raspberry, strawberry and vanilla'
Some one said 'Have you laryngitis?'

'No. just raspberry, strawberry and vanilla'

lazlo
10-29-2007, 06:59 PM
I can't type worth a damn. Will type a reply, spend more time checking it than the original typing took.

I think most people here don't give a sh!t if you can spell -- if you came here for fine literature you're in the wrong place.

Type what you can, maybe post some pictures, and we'll figure it out :)