PDA

View Full Version : VFD drive hell,,,whats wrong with the manual??

wingnutt
10-26-2007, 05:03 PM
:eek: :eek: O,K, so now you know why i asked you guys all the stupid questions,
i did read my manual,,,ya,,right,,lots of good it did me,
its written/printed WRONG,,,
si o called the guy up that i bought it from,,,
and he gave me crap,,,,
didnt believe me,
its worded right,
but the pics are very,,very,,wrong,,,look at the wires going into it,,????:eek:
so whos the idiot??

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/elginiron/3phase.jpg

the chicken scratches are mine, switching the writing around where it "really" goes,

EI,,,
life is short,
laugh,,

SGW
10-27-2007, 08:37 AM
Doesn't give you a lot of confidence in the product, does it?

Care to share the brand?

Doozer
10-27-2007, 08:48 AM
My Hitachi manual also has errors in the quick start programming section, so read carefully.
--Doozer

5Bears
10-27-2007, 10:46 AM
How odd is that? The Hitachi VFD's are good products and work well, but the initial setup and programming can be a bit of a pain. Once they are correctly programmed, though, they'll give years of service without any tweaking whatsoever.

Dawai
10-27-2007, 10:48 AM
ZONTHING lost in translation?

Read the mill wiring diagram of six months ago. I sat down and figured out the single phase wiring and how to reverse it. CRAZY stuff.

Imagine how they feel copying our stuff? Designed by a redneck southern boy. WHOO HOO spit some te-backer juice on it.

wingnutt
10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
its theHitachi
L200 2 series,
this years model, new manual, just came out from what i was told,
it just ripped me that the guy wouldent listen to me,
kept tellin me i was crazy,,

ya i know that,,,stupid too,,,
but its wrong,,,
i coulda killed my self,,,,:D :D :D

EI,

Forrest Addy
10-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Please fix to wiring satisfy end attaching. Never single phase gap attaching on not three phase item. Three phase attachinng accept three item. Image item attaching to see.

Perfetcly clear to me.

Ryobiguy
10-27-2007, 01:06 PM
All your phase are belong to us.

The tech writer I work next to always bitches about the manuals he reads, everything poorly written (and expertly bastardized) in Chinglish.

DR
10-27-2007, 01:17 PM
The various VFD's I've purchased came with postage stamp sized manuals.

No surprise I guess cause the units themselves are miniature compared to a 1970's variable speed drive I have.

John Stevenson
10-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Little know fact in the industry is that there is an annual awards ceremony for the most obtuse manual that can be fostered onto the unwashed public.

Hiding behind obscure technical jargon they do their utmost to confuse everyone in their attempt to get and hold for a year, the coveted "Melted Contacter Award " ™

This was brought to light to me recently when a local company bought a big, and I mean big, inverter for a 70 Kw motor from Siemens. All they wanted to do was stick this in a big wall box with fan and cooling vents and three controls on the front, start button, stop button and speed pot, everyone still on the same line ?

Well their sparky couldn't make hide or hair of the manual so they shipped the whole lot over to the local rewinder's for them to sort out. They had fitted the switches and had 3 wires dangling with nowhere to go.

Rewinder's took one look and shipped it to me as they know I have fitted many inverters.
The book was impressive, A4 or about letter size and 1" thick, so I waded thru this looking for the magical term "3 wire connection", nope not found anywhere.
So technology comes to the rescue in the shape of the Internet as the manual is on there in PDF format which means I can search and find this elusive 3 wire connection.
Nope, Foxit says no such term.

So not to be outdone I drop back a century in technology and phone Siemens technical and state my case.
Dead simple I'm told [ inferring I'm a dummy ] just let them get the book and they will show me the error of my ways.

Exit stage left to sounds of pages turning, questions asked, at least 4 people muttering and finally being told the guy I want isn't in the office they will call back.
At this point I remind them the value of this item just so they get the meaning of the word today please.

Two hours later I get a phone call and the guy with a faint accent proceeds to explain how these three wires connect and how to set 10,000 parameters.
I ask what page this is on in the manual and I'm told the page number which gives the correct information I was given but has no relevance to 3 wire connection.
When I question this I'm told "No one wires 3 wire nowdays EVERYONE wires thru a contactor"

CONTACTOR ?? WTF ?? these went out with trams, this all singing all dancing inverter can spot a spike 1,200 miles away and if the amperage as much as deviates 0.01% from norm can shut down faster than a heart beat.

As a final query I asked who I was talking to and it was Siemens in Germany, Siemens in the UK had given up. No wonder the guy I wanted wasn't in the office

So Siemens if you are reading this did you win the coverted "Melted Contacter Award " ™ last year ?

jadecy
10-27-2007, 03:28 PM
I have a hitachi SJ200 that I run my bridgeport with. The manual I got had no pictures at all related to single phase input. All the documentation was for 3 phase input and there was one little note related to single phase input. You are correct. The pictures are backward. I have the two hot leads for single phase input wired as shown in the "3 phase input picture". If you look at the row of contacts above the input contacts "at least on mine" there is a large jumper. I think that is what makes it a single phase input. I will try to post pictures later.

wingnutt
10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
did you wire any external switches?? forward/rev stop/star??

ive got the same box

jadecy
10-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Here is a picture:

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/vfd_2.jpg

I used the low voltage control setup described in the manual. My control box is a mini project box from radio shack with one red momentary push button for stop, one black momentary contact push button for start and a toggle switch for direction. I may enhance the control later but I haven't needed speed control yet so don't see any reason to change it currently.

you can see the little control box if you look close (upper left where the wires are coming down). It is by the original rotary switch. I removed the knob from the original rotary switch.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/139_3919.jpg