PDA

View Full Version : Leeson

QSIMDO
10-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I notice Leeson motors now have aluminum frames and are made off shore as well.

Does anyone have first-hand knowledge of what that means for quality?

I need to replace the motor on my mill and the only bolt-on D 90 Euro-spec, doesn't empty my wallet, 3600 rpm 3ph I find is Leeson.

paulx
10-27-2007, 11:53 AM
A cast aluminum frame is probably stiffer than a pressed steel frame.

Mcgyver
10-27-2007, 12:06 PM
A cast aluminum frame is probably stiffer than a pressed steel frame.

why? stiffness depends on the material and cross section.

John Stevenson
10-27-2007, 12:59 PM
Len,
for the last 10 years or so the only motors we have used have been metric framed Alloy motors.
To get iron framed motors we have to go to VEM in Germany but they are getting harder to get.

I must admit the alloy framed ones we are buying from Poland, Germany, Italy and now from China [ you have to watch brands from there though ] haven't given any problems.

Even the cheaper range now have thermistors wired into the stator if your application can handle them.

One area we do score in over the US and this isn't a gloat is that most of the world use 220 / 440 v 6 wire metric framed motors which means manufacturing cost go down.
I can buy a decent 1HP 3~ motor for under 40, a 3 horse will cost about 65, double that for dollar prices.

wierdscience
10-27-2007, 01:22 PM
Len,
for the last 10 years or so the only motors we have used have been metric framed Alloy motors.
To get iron framed motors we have to go to VEM in Germany but they are getting harder to get.

I must admit the alloy framed ones we are buying from Poland, Germany, Italy and now from China [ you have to watch brands from there though ] haven't given any problems.

Even the cheaper range now have thermistors wired into the stator if your application can handle them.

One area we do score in over the US and this isn't a gloat is that most of the world use 220 / 440 v 6 wire metric framed motors which means manufacturing cost go down.
I can buy a decent 1HP 3~ motor for under 40, a 3 horse will cost about 65, double that for dollar prices.

That's all I pay for a US made 1hp 3~ 9 lead,bout $85,3~ motors are cheap here,1~ is where they stick it to us,a 1hp-1~ runs $140-160.

wierdscience
10-27-2007, 01:24 PM
I got no problem with aluminum frame motors,heck they dissapate heat better.Leeson has been around for years and IIRC never was an American mfg.Everything I have seen of thiers for the last 20 years was Japan,Korea or Chiwan.

If yu want cast iron,try WEG motors.

http://www.wegelectric.com/asp/system/empty.asp?P=2&VID=default&SID=165106132816874&S=1&C=21122

DR
10-27-2007, 01:25 PM
A bit of trivia about Leeson told to me by the guy at the electric motor shop.....

The story goes this way, Lee Doerr sold his motor building business. Something went wrong with the deal, like the buyer quit making payments or some such thing.

So Lee and his son (Lee & son) set up another business down the street to compete with the buyer.

It's a good story......no idea if it's all true.