PDA

View Full Version : Shop addition...goes on and on..

torker
10-28-2007, 02:37 PM
Hey guys! I'm finally getting to the new cement floor for the other third of my shop. This piece is where the machines will go for now to keep them out of the welding dust etc. I spent days building a storage shed then removing (and sorting)literally thousands of NOS Yamaha and Honda parts that came with the place. As you can see I'm almost starting from scratch. The metal building is a pain. I never knew how bad they'd sweat. Once the floor is poured the stud walls have to be built, wiring ran etc. Then some kind of wood heat...man it's cold in the metal tomb that you see now.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00001-26.jpg
This is why the new addition is paramount. My machines are taking a beating in the (mostly) welding shop and it's very crowded.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/torker/DSC00003-10.jpg
The new part is only 9X30 and will require careful planning. Getting the Ohio #2 shoehorned in will be the worse. I have to make a new, larger door and pour an outer slab just to move that in. I wanted to have my new shop built by now but winter is beating me. We've had a week long dose of -7C already. Still have to log about 7 or 8 cords of firewood to make it through the winter. I'm lucky for this year as I can get that or more right out the back side of my property. Next year will be bad. We'll have to travel up the mountains to get wood.
Is it all worth it? No neighbours...weld and bang and crash all hours of the night...no city bylaws...Ya...it's worth it :D
Russ

Your Old Dog
10-28-2007, 06:00 PM
And here I been crying in my beer over the temps dropping into the 50's (we're talking PLUS) and you're talking -7? I'd imagine thats gonna be some wood stove to keep up with those thin metal walls. I can see you wearing out a couple of chain saws! But I find myself in a similar situation. Just moved to the country and it's great to step out into the back yard and whiz and get back in to the barn and keep working :D

torker
10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
YOD...lol! I screwed up...meant -7Celsius. Not all that cold really but it's already got the yard frozen solid. I'll be insulating the walls for sure.

BadDog
10-28-2007, 07:57 PM
That's still too freaking cold for me. I have a hard time at anything below 50*f.

wierdscience
10-28-2007, 07:59 PM
No neighbors,must be nice not to hear all the wanking.

Hey when you pour the floor be sure and post pics so John S. can see that new floor like pavers can be ordered by the truckload:D

torker
10-29-2007, 12:48 AM
Darin...I'll enjoy the new clean floor for a very short time. Maybe even shorter...may have found a nice VN horizontal to take up any small bit of floor that's left.
Oh ya! I do love it here. It's so quite you can hear small leaves rolling up the driveway as a light breeze blows. You can walk outside in yer underwear while listening to Jeff Foxworthy on the music machine. Course that'd be a bit chilly right now :D