PDA

View Full Version : "Wrenching" news...

Mike Burdick
10-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Kind of interesting...

Although the auction in the link below is over this site does contain some interesting information and photos regarding old wrenches.

http://home.southwind.net/~donhaury/gaier-auction-2006/catalog.html (http://home.southwind.net/%7Edonhaury/gaier-auction-2006/catalog.html)

Scishopguy
10-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Mike,

These are some interesting tools. I find some of them in the various flea markets I root through. It is nice to see that folks are collecting some of them and even putting some back into service. Thanks for the fun site.

topct
10-29-2007, 05:59 PM
I think #217 a hog holder came as set with a #124 Dr Miller pig snooter.

It came with a pamphlet titled "Snootering for fun and profit". Very rare.

But just as rare is the "Snootering for dummies" book.

andy_b
10-29-2007, 10:48 PM
some wild wrenches there! i like the crocodile and duck wrenches.
i don't understand the double-ended adjustable wrenches (like #116). it seems to me, an adjustable wrench is adjustable, so why would you need two of them just a 1/4" apart in size and stuck end-to-end? it isn't like you can use both at the same time? unless they were sold out of the back of wagons to mother-in-laws to give as useless gifts to son-in-laws.

andy b.

TECHSHOP
10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Obviously one end is used on imperial nuts and bolts; the other end is used for metric nuts and bolts.

Mike Burdick
10-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Okay, two questions for you experts...

1. What is the design philosophy of having the curved handles?

2. What are the “alligator” type jaws used for (i.e. wrench #29 or #183)?

wierdscience
10-29-2007, 11:54 PM
Okay, two questions for you experts...

1. What is the design philosophy of having the curved handles?

2. What are the “alligator” type jaws used for (i.e. wrench #29 or #183)?

#1-this represents the arrogance of the designer in thinking that by simply curving the handle of the tool he could avoid busting his knuckles.Little did he know such a feat is all but impossible.

#2 before the invention of Vise-grips and slip joint pliers jack-leg mechanics needed some method of @!*&$%!#!up a shaft or fitting,hince the alligator wrench:D