PDA

View Full Version : Any Van Norman gurus here?

torker
10-29-2007, 12:42 AM
If there is could you pm me your email...I'd like to send you some pics of a mill I'm interested in. I'd like some info on this machine.
Thanks!
Russ

Orrin
10-29-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a Van Norman #6, but I don't consider myself a guru. What is exceptional about my machine is that it was the previous two owners saved every bit of documentation and literature back to its original purchase.

I have scanned all V-N literature--about 100 jpegs--and offer it to any interested parties for a reasonable $10. The price barely covers my expenses. I'm not doing it to make a profit, but merely to lend a helping hand.

I'll PM you.

Orrin

Steve Steven
10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I have a very old (1937 vintage) VN #12, came from the long defunct General Electric TV plant in Sufflok VA, via a small commercial job shop to me, history before that unknown. I have a Navy tech manual on a series of VN #12s that were bought for a series of cruisers in WWII, it is a basic commercial manual with a few pages of lists of accessories provided along with spare parts ordered by the Navy in 1943. Includes a full size copy of a basic installation dimension drawing of the VN #12.

I can send you a paper copy if you like, shipping charges only (book rate from USPS probably $3). I'll have to dig it out of all the stuff I took home when I retired last year.

Have you looked at the Van Norman page by John Kasunich at
http://home.att.net/~JEKasunich/vannorman/VN_Home.htm
It has a lot of data on Van Normans.

Steve

torker
10-30-2007, 12:32 AM
Thanks guys! Orrin I've emailed you a pic of the mill so we can determine the model number and go from there.
Russ

Orrin
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Orrin I've emailed you a pic of the mill so we can determine the model number and go from there.
Russ

Oops, Russ, I didn't see it. Most likely my spam filter probably didn't recognize your name and sent it into the trash. Would you please send it, again?

Sorry.

There is a considerable variety of V-N models owned by the members of this group. You might consider joining it.

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/vannorman/?yguid=5735230

Best regards,

Orrin

mark61
10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
Get yourself over on the Van Norman yahoo groups! All the info you will ever desire!

mark61

lazlo
10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Russ,

I don't want to volunteer anyone for help :), but Lane has a beautiful Van Norman #12:

http://www.cp-tel.net/mary/LVanNorman.htm

Cheers,

Robert

Bill Pace
10-30-2007, 10:37 AM
Re Lanes # 12 ......
He did a pretty extensive rebuild/rework on that thing (as with bout everything hes got!) and he got VERY familar with it----sure is a purty thing...

lane
10-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I don't know if I am a expert but have been through every inch of my Van Norman #12 and have most of all the attachments they made. May can help . They are unusual mills but nice and very user friendly. and H--l for stout.

torker
10-30-2007, 11:08 PM
Orrin and Lane, I sent you both the pics (Orrin...I tried you again ).
I'd post them here but there's a young fellow who I don't know in the pic and I don't know if it'd be proper to post his pic on the net.
This is one stout looking machine. It comes with a lot of pricey tooling also.
The folks bought it at an auction then found out how heavy it is...it's still sitting in the auction yard. They still won't tell me how much they want for it.
Ries...Thanks for the heads up.
BTW...this thing is 550V 3ph...anyone know if i can power this here? I only have 220V 1 ph. It's got a 7 1/2 hp main motor. I'm thinking RPC for this one instead of the VFD I have on my Ohio.
Thanks!
Russ

Orrin
10-31-2007, 08:30 AM
Torker, unless you have plenty of room and a very stout electrical service, I'd shy away from that thing. It is a monster.

A friend of mine bought a mill about that size, figuring he'd make the necessary repairs and re-sell it at a profit. He wound up selling it to the scrap iron dealer.

My 2

Orrin

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 08:57 AM
Orrin and Lane, I sent you both the pics (Orrin...I tried you again ).
I'd post them here but there's a young fellow who I don't know in the pic and I don't know if it'd be proper to post his pic on the net.
This is one stout looking machine. It comes with a lot of pricey tooling also.
The folks bought it at an auction then found out how heavy it is...it's still sitting in the auction yard. They still won't tell me how much they want for it.
Ries...Thanks for the heads up.
BTW...this thing is 550V 3ph...anyone know if i can power this here? I only have 220V 1 ph. It's got a 7 1/2 hp main motor. I'm thinking RPC for this one instead of the VFD I have on my Ohio.
Thanks!
Russ

Russ and others.

I have seen a lot of discussion on 1 > 3 phase changers over time.

Perhaps you'd like to check out the Australian site:
http://www.phasechanger.com/about_us.php
http://www.phasechanger.com/international.php

I may have to install 1>3 ph as some equipment that I have I mind needs 3 ph

I have 240v 50~ 2ph 60A/ph so my supply is adequate.

torker
10-31-2007, 08:58 AM
Orrin, I'd have the room one way or another (build it its own house :D) but the electrics have me concerned. My present electrical setup is about maxed out as it is. I'm running 3 welders, two plasma cutters, two mills, the lathe and all the other junk I have. If it gets any busier I'll be hiring another employee so three machines would be running at times. I'd love to have that big ol' hunk of metal though.
Russ

Steve Steven
10-31-2007, 09:03 AM
If its a one man shop, and you don't have anything that cuts on automatically (air compressor?) then its not a problem, since you won't be running more than one machine at once anyway.

With an employee, then you would have to worry about two machines.

Steve

lazlo
10-31-2007, 09:30 AM
BTW...this thing is 550V 3ph...anyone know if i can power this here? I only have 220V 1 ph. It's got a 7 1/2 hp main motor.

That's a problem Russ -- you would need a large step-up transformer.

As you probably know, 550V is pretty rare. Most step-up transformers are 1:2, so you can get from 240 - 440V, which would run your machine with a 25% power loss.

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Orrin, I'd have the room one way or another (build it its own house :D) but the electrics have me concerned. My present electrical setup is about maxed out as it is. I'm running 3 welders, two plasma cutters, two mills, the lathe and all the other junk I have. If it gets any busier I'll be hiring another employee so three machines would be running at times. I'd love to have that big ol' hunk of metal though.
Russ

Russ.

When I had a large work-shop installed in a training environment I asked the Electrical Engineer and Electrical Contractor (both together) about that very thing. Their reply was along the lines of the maximum power draw would be at start-up, most times the motors were not under significant or any load and the probability of them all being "started' at the same time was very small. So, the Australian National "Code" AS3000 (Wiring Rules) allowed for a "redundancy factor" to be used to allow a lesser load-carrying capacity. There was also a "lock-out" feature as well - just in case.

I will give you odds that some smart-ar*es would have tried to "trip" the system but they never succeeded.

Some (any really) with a better understanding of these things will be able to correct and expand on my advice.

I hope this helps.

quasi
10-31-2007, 04:45 PM
550-600 volts is VERY common in Canada.

lazlo
10-31-2007, 04:57 PM
As you probably know, 550V is pretty rare.

550-600 volts is VERY common in Canada.

What's 50 Volts among friends? :)

Drive systems in North America usually fall into 120V, 240V, 480V and 600 volts (for wiring methods and materials).

I thought 575V was common in Canada. 550V was the old textile "standard".
If you can find a 240V -> 575V transformer (1:2.4), that might be close enough to run the Van Norman, but I'd consult an electrician...

You'd also need to run off a rotary phase converter -- you're probably going to have a Hell of a time finding a VFD that takes 550V (or 575V), single-phase input.

lane
10-31-2007, 07:08 PM
My self I would stay away from it .
1. It a plane horizontal mill with a BP m head added.

2. Its big and not a ram head Van Norman

3. I have seen lots of V N 16 and 22 on E_bay for $1200.00are less .

4. Like said before Voltage is a problem. on a VN ram head motor is easy to change mine has a single phase motor.

5 . It up to you. YOUR MONEY. I would no pay more tan $1000.00 for it though.