PDA

View Full Version : question about gear rack on Jet 1024

Erick Davidson
10-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Greetings,
New guy here, who just picked up a 1975 Jet 1024. Was not the lathe I was looking for, but the price ($300) seemed hard to beat and it is in seemingly good condition. With one exception, the rack on the side of the bed is messed up quite a bit in the last 6 inches before the head. The pinion looks fine, as does the rest of the gears on the lathe.
Does anyone know where I might find a replacement or modern equivalent I could modify? As it seems this model was marketed under several different names. Or possibly the gear pitch and angle and I can get a section of rack and make it myself. Any information would be appreciated!
Cheers, Erick Davidson

John Stevenson
10-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Does the pinion travel up that far to get on the messed up bit ?

If so travel the other way and see how far you have in that direction and then see if you can't reverse the rack so the messed up bit is in a position where it's unused.

Spin Doctor
10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Try Boston gear or Stock Drive products. They sell rack stock in standard lenths as does McMaster. Now the question is it inch or metric. To find the pitch of the teeth clamp two pins in the teth and mic over the pins. Substract the pin dia and devide by the number of teeth the measurement spans. Thats your circular tooth thickness. A metric rack will have a whole MM size while for a DP take the decimal figure you have and devide into pi. This will give the DP

Erick Davidson
10-31-2007, 12:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestions, I will try pulling it next weekend and measure it. Does anyone know what other brand names this machine was sold under? I was told Select, possibly others.
I was looking at the Grizzly site, thought I might try getting the rack from one of their 10x24 lathes, possibly with the pinion and see what it would take to change the whole thing out. Does that sound plausible?
Cheers, Erick Davidson

SGW
10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Swapping the rack and pinion for another of a different size could turn out to be a great deal of work. Unless they're the same size, or through coincidence require the same spacing, things would need to be adjusted. You might be able to shim the rack to reduce the distance, or machine a little off the back of the rack if you needed more distance, but it could also turn out to be virtually impossible to do in any sane way.

JimH
10-31-2007, 01:00 PM
Swapping the rack end for end is the first thing to try. Then try Jet at:

http://industrial.jettools.com/

They don't list a 1024 now, but still may have parts.

Jim