PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle project complete

jadecy
10-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Most of it was not machining but there are a few parts that I machined for it. Tasks included painting, replacing the old charging components with solid state electrical components, replacing carbs, set valve lash and timing, make beauty rings for the BMW emblems out of 6061 T6,...

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_front_corner2.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_me_front.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_me_side1.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_rear.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_side_tank.jpg

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc256/jadecy_/cj750_jim/bike_tank.jpg

aostling
10-30-2007, 05:05 PM
It's a beaut. What model?

Bill Pace
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
OH YEAH!!!----- That is fine!

J.Ramsey
10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Beautiful job,I'm jealous it's not in my garage.

speedsport
10-30-2007, 08:34 PM
something is not right here, plunger rear suspension and telescopic forks?,anyway, a Bimmer set up for a sidecar must have Earles front forks.

slipup
10-30-2007, 08:55 PM
something is not right here, plunger rear suspension and telescopic forks?,anyway, a Bimmer set up for a sidecar must have Earles front forks.
Looks like an authentic restoration to me. Nothing wrong with the front forks and plunger rear.

andy_b
10-30-2007, 10:15 PM
NICE!!!!
i wish i would've kept my old Harley and put a sidecar on it.

andy b.

J.Ramsey
10-30-2007, 10:25 PM

I used to have a 1951 350 AJS ,forks were telescopic, rear suspension was plunger.
You could only dream of something that nice let alone build or restore one.
BTW it's Beammer not Bimmer, stick with your rice.

wierdscience
10-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice job!

Reminds me of a buddy who was partners in a bike shop.People would come in and say they needed such and such done to thier Harley,he would tell them "I work on the English and German bikes,you'll have to wait for Stan to get back from lunch,he works on all the farm equipment":D:D

speedsport
10-30-2007, 11:16 PM
JRamsey,
I will send a copy of your statement to the editor of BIMMER magaziine, I am sure he will be happy to hear that the magazine name is wrong. Rice?, yeah I got rice, and pasta, and crumpets, and apple strudel, but no apple pie. BTW, you don't know ****.

wirewrkr
10-30-2007, 11:27 PM
OKAY, lets get this straight.
That is a Russian bike, No not a URAL, but the other one, a DNEPR.
You REALLY need to take those BMW emblems offa there.
That just ain't kosher.
Nice job on the bike though.
But lets call it what it is, a Russian DNEPR. Hopefully you already know what it is and were not sold an antique BMW.
Lots of scumbags trying to pull that these days.
Ask me how I kinow about these and I'll gladly tell you.
It might even be a Chinese unit with a late Chinese or early Ural/Dnepr motor.
Robert
( I do this for a living)

wirewrkr
10-30-2007, 11:38 PM
OH I forgot to mention, HEY SPeedsport, Prior to 1955, BMW bikes ran telescoping front ends and plunger rears ( back to 1938, starting with the R51)
The only real exception to that and also the most notable was the R75(M)
which came out in aprox. 1942 (some say earlier.)
It had two wheel drive and was built for the Wehrmacht and was a solid non suspended rear design.
Robert

torker
10-30-2007, 11:39 PM
Yup...nice bike! I'm officially jealous! Geez...I have 250+ motorcycles...not one Harley or BMW. But I'd trade you a bunch (say 50 or 60) for that bike :D
Russ

Airhead
10-31-2007, 02:04 AM
Nice rig! I was wondering just what it was. How's it run? Tell us all about it.

Rick

PS You're both wrong! Bimmers are cars. Beemers are bikes:D
Airheads Beemer Club (http://www.airheads.org/)

abn
10-31-2007, 02:17 AM
very nice!

dp
10-31-2007, 02:19 AM
OKAY, lets get this straight.
That is a Russian bike, No not a URAL, but the other one, a DNEPR.
You REALLY need to take those BMW emblems offa there.
That just ain't kosher.
Nice job on the bike though.
But lets call it what it is, a Russian DNEPR. Hopefully you already know what it is and were not sold an antique BMW.
Lots of scumbags trying to pull that these days.
Ask me how I kinow about these and I'll gladly tell you.
It might even be a Chinese unit with a late Chinese or early Ural/Dnepr motor.
Robert
( I do this for a living)

Unless it's a total frankenbike I don't see a lot of DNEPR on it - the tank doesn't have the rubber insets, the brake is on the wrong side, the nacelle is missing that Ural trademark speedo and red eye lamps. The rocker boxes don't look right (not rectangular enough) and the engine case isn't right for a DNEPR. The frame, on the other hand, is very DNEPR looking with the bowlegged downtube configuration, but there's only many ways to wrap a boxer engine. What visuals are you seeing?

The bars seem pretty narrow for fighting with a sidecar, IMNSHO.

spkrman15
10-31-2007, 05:39 AM
Nice. I don't know much about bikes, but there is alot of work invloved to get a project looking like that. Nice!!

Rob :)

speedsport
10-31-2007, 06:47 AM
A BMW is A BMW is a BMW, 2 wheels, 4 wheels, it matters not. A BMW is A BMW. And ain't none of them a "Beamer". Ramsey is a winch, (maybe a grinch?)

Dawai
10-31-2007, 07:13 AM
I like the bmw, the rest of you non-american knockers can kiss my HD riding ass thou. Don't knock it till you have pushed it up a off ramp. You meet the nicest people who stop to help. (build a hotrod, get to push)

My baby brothers bike, beautiful paintjob I did, we had it all apart looking to put on floorboards and other fresh goodies. "A nylok nut is good for one time", he lost his off his shifter linkage about ten miles from here. I took him a pocketfull. The ones I returned with my wife made into a bracelet. He left without wearing it.

For you people who think Jap bikes never give trouble? you need to actually ride the thing, anything with tits, wheels or a engine will give trouble sooner or later.

When the jap rider goes to the shop mostly is akin to a woman taking her auto, you mean the starter fluid leaked out and the manifold bearings are squeaking? There are exceptions.

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 07:18 AM
OH I forgot to mention, HEY SPeedsport, Prior to 1955, BMW bikes ran telescoping front ends and plunger rears ( back to 1938, starting with the R51)
The only real exception to that and also the most notable was the R75(M)
which came out in aprox. 1942 (some say earlier.)
It had two wheel drive and was built for the Wehrmacht and was a solid non suspended rear design.
Robert

Thanks heaps Robert.

I've been trying to both confirm that type of bike and its name for over 30 years and you've done it in one go!!!

One of the apprentices (there were over 100) where I served the last 3 years of my 5-year Apprenticeship had a bike with a side-car on it that had a 2-wheel drive - the one to the back wheel (presumably chain drive) and another via a (dog?) clutch (that could be engaged and dis-engaged) that drove the side-car wheel.

He must have had some sort of "over-ride" or "diff" or some-thing as I seem to recall that it could go around corners on bitumen - perhaps not.

His "party trick" was to spin both wheels on grass (mostly) or in mud. He got out of mud much easier than almost any other side-car bike in those days (1955>58).

There was a lot of ex-WW2 and "Disposal " stuff about.

That bike you describe seems to match it as near as I recall.

Perhaps you can fill in the rest of the gaps.

One of the Apprentices had a BMW but I don't know if it was the same bike.

Swarf&Sparks
10-31-2007, 07:37 AM
I have to recount the sage advice of one of my apprentice instructors, who rode a Black Shadow outfit.
"pull off those #$^#%^&#^&^ tubes and use em to fix your exhaust!"
This, after he'd snapped numerous front axles. Under side load, the teles flex and put your front axle in shear. Fine on a solo, no side load. Not so much fun on an outfit. After he fitted a nice solid girder (built in the apprentice workshop :D ) no more woes.

I don't know if many people here are familiar with Perth, WA, but he used to put that outfit around the Horseshoe Bridge at some insane speeds, with a good swinger in the chair. None of us ever caught him on solo bikes.

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 07:54 AM
I have to recount the sage advice of one of my apprentice instructors, who rode a Black Shadow outfit.
"pull off those #$^#%^&#^&^ tubes and use em to fix your exhaust!"
This, after he'd snapped numerous front axles. Under side load, the teles flex and put your front axle in shear. Fine on a solo, no side load. Not so much fun on an outfit. After he fitted a nice solid girder (built in the apprentice workshop :D ) no more woes.

I don't know if many people here are familiar with Perth, WA, but he used to put that outfit around the Horseshoe Bridge at some insane speeds, with a good swinger in the chair. None of us ever caught him on solo bikes.

Thanks Lin.

Right on.

As said in another post, I used to go to the Speedway in SA.

Those side-car races with big "Vincent" HRD twins were awesome. The handle-bars were always moving quickly and flat out or nothing!!. Big wide flat tyres, out-board wheel canted like it was broken. The rider was crazy but nothing compared to to the "passenger" who was always only inches and seconds away from death either hanging out-board or hunched over the rear wheel for balance and traction.

I used to go the the "(mud!!!)" scrambles and road-races (circuit) too before we moved VIC>SA and they were great. The best in my view just about had to be the side-car outfits. But they were all crazy - they'd have to be - and us with 'em.

Swarf&Sparks
10-31-2007, 08:09 AM
Yeah, well recall that here at the old Claremont speedway Mick :D
In my day, it was mostly Jawa, with the odd old JAP still running (solos) and the outfits were a wide variety, with Japanese 4 cyls just starting to make their presence felt.

BTW, many thanks for the Cobra torch info. That thing is amazing! Have you posted here?

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 08:28 AM
.................................................. .......
.................................................. .......

BTW, many thanks for the Cobra torch info. That thing is amazing! Have you posted here?

Not yet - but I will.

I will wait until I have put it through its paces so that I can reply/advise from a relatively competent user basis as its "New" (not really - been around for years) and I'd like to get a bit more practice in.

The "gun" takes a bit of getting used to after O/A etc, - similar to getting used to MIG or Plasma after a "chokey" "stick" welder.

Getting - or more correctly making or finding - time is the issue.

Sure as hell saved me a lot of money and space and a lot more portable and perhaps more versatile as compared to TIG and not another gas bottle or machine to have to accommodate either - its all "pluses" to date.

J.Ramsey
10-31-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm glad I got under your thin skin, at least we know now that your replies can be more than smart a$$ one liners of the usual norm.

wirewrkr
10-31-2007, 10:50 AM
Now that it's tomorrow and I haven't had a chance to have a stiff drink yet,
I looked at the bike through sober eyes and lo an behold... It is a CJ.
Chinese.
Chiang Jang.
Looks nice though. I've got one of their sidecars hanging from the rafters
awaiting me to finish building the bike. A franken beemerbimmer.
Robert

aostling
10-31-2007, 11:14 AM
Now that it's tomorrow and I haven't had a chance to have a stiff drink yet,
I looked at the bike through sober eyes and lo an behold... It is a CJ.
Chinese.
Chiang Jang.

Amazing! What's next, Chinese Bultacos?

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 11:17 AM
Amazing! What's next, Chinese Bultacos?
H-D

followed by

Hummer

ptjw7uk
10-31-2007, 11:25 AM
Nice bike only trouble them is in the UK the chair is on the left and the kick start is a Cuss to use as it swings down towards the chair, so much nicer with electric start!!
Peter

topct
10-31-2007, 11:26 AM
http://www.chang-jiang.com/bmw/motor-s.html

topct
10-31-2007, 02:06 PM
I don't understand why someone would want to have motorcycle with a name on it that it isn't.

Can someone tell me what the point would be?

jadecy
10-31-2007, 04:11 PM
It is not my bike. I put it together for a customer and that is what the customer wanted. It is a CJ750 (chinese bike). I just thought folks might like to see my work (ie. the paint job, etc.). Yes, the customer knew it wasn't a BMW when they bought it.

;)

aostling
10-31-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, the customer knew it wasn't a BMW when they bought it.

My question is: how's the quality? Not of your mods, but of the machine itself?

jadecy
10-31-2007, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't buy one if that is what you are asking. There are many issues with them. It's a long story but I ended up putting approx. 10 of of these bikes together from a crate that was imported from China. The engines and components are less than great and the electrical system needed an overhaul. The transmission can be difficult at times.The tires that come on them are not DOT approved among other things. The carbs that came on it were junk. The one in the picture more than likely won't get ridden much. It is someones toy and I think it looks pretty good. To get the paint to come out right I had to strip it down to metal. Whatever they painted them with in China was really bad. The one in this post equals a new DRO for my Bridgeport milling machine. It was a good side job for me.

Some of the items I modified/fixed
==============================

- Installed tranny.

- Installed heads.

- installed engine in bike

- Rebuilt regulator with parts from ford alternator plus several other components from the auto parts store.

- Replaced carbs with Keihin knock off carbs. They work very well.

- Adjusted valve lash and timing.

- Changed all fluids.

- Replaced fuse holder with blade type holder and fuse.

- Rebuilt front brake system.

- Replaced all tires.

- Replaced headlight with sealed beam light.

- Checked and adjust tracking (side car to bike.)

- Replaced chinese battery with interstate battery.

- Checked for and fixed wiring issues (much troubleshooting and fault locating). Bad connectors, dead shorts, etc...

- Tons of sanding and body work.

- Painting, Airbrushing, Pinstriping.

- Machined and polished rings for emblems.

==================================================

speedsport
10-31-2007, 10:04 PM
Sounds like you did enough work to pay for the DRO and a nice mill to put it on, I think the guy got a good deal, the silk purse sows ear thing.

wirewrkr
10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
When I bought my CJ sidecar almost 10 years ago, the importer told me i would have to strip the paint off and metal prep the bare "steel" as the Chinese don't understand about metal etching primers. He wasn't kidding.
If I so much as fart in the general vicinity of that thing more "paint" pops off.
You're a brave soul to undertake such an endeavor. Lacing the wheels was fun too. Like I said in my first posting, it looks good.
If I sounded too critical or harsh, I am always on the lookout for dirtbags who pass these off to the unknowing public as vintage BMW bikes.
I've been in the BIMMER/BEEMER business for a very long time and really get ticked off at these con artists.
Glad to here this wasn't the case this time.
Robert