PDA

View Full Version : Build a tail stock?

jimmstruk
10-30-2007, 09:06 PM
Anyone ever build a tail stock? I need to make one for my dividing head. I think I saw a picture of a home built one but cant find it now. Need pictures or ideas. Thanks JIM

heavysteamer
10-30-2007, 09:38 PM
I'll be watching this too, as the tailstock for my dividing head was stolen.

tattoomike68
10-30-2007, 09:39 PM
We made one by welding up a un upside down T shape peice as a base. tapped some holes in the side of the upright peice. Welded a long nut to some angle iron with slots milled in it. so it was height adjustable.

Then we turned a point on a big bolt and welded T handle to the bolt. We use a jam nut on the bolt too so it cant unscrew as you turn the part.

It cost almost nothing to make.

Jim Hubbell
10-30-2007, 11:46 PM
I made up a tailstock in order to make some gears on the mill. It shows up in "Mach" under "gear cutting setup".

http://picasaweb.google.com/shopm8/Mach

If more details are needed I will post them.

Jim Caudill
10-31-2007, 12:10 AM
How about a universal tailstock such as this one from Enco for $85? http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PMAKA=200-1098&PMPXNO=952114&PARTPG=INLMK3

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 05:36 AM
There are heaps of old tail-stocks with-out a home or a machine to call their own at used machine and scrap metal dealers.

If the quill and it's fit in the TS are OK you may well be on your way as the most difficult parts are done for you.

Cost should be minimal.

Just cut it up and (re) machine it to suit - including keys and slots and clamping slots - and you are half-way there. The rest is relatively easy and should be a good project.

On the other hand, a new item from a variety of suppliers or from eBay should do the job.

There is no good reason why it can't be fabricated entirely and machined to suit, or a combination of fabrication and "spare parts".

bhjones
10-31-2007, 07:39 PM
Could you suggest a dealer?

I have a 14" Logan I'd like to put a tailstock on. A few for the 14" Logan have been listed on E-Bay over the last couple of years but my bids were far too low. I've been keeping my eye out for any nice stout 12" - 14" tailstock to modify for use on the Logan but nothing has seemed right so far.

There are heaps of old tail-stocks with-out a home or a machine to call their own at used machine and scrap metal dealers.

If the quill and it's fit in the TS are OK you may well be on your way as the most difficult parts are done for you.

jimmstruk
10-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Thanks, I made a tail stock very much like Tattoo Mike described, and it looks like Jim Hubbells picture. Thanks Jim Caudill, if I had realised the ready made enco was so reasoably priced I would already have bought one. As tatoo Mike said the home made version cost almost nothing, (but time). I enjoy the mill time and always learn something on every project. JIM

oldtiffie
10-31-2007, 11:22 PM
Could you suggest a dealer?

I have a 14" Logan I'd like to put a tailstock on. A few for the 14" Logan have been listed on E-Bay over the last couple of years but my bids were far too low. I've been keeping my eye out for any nice stout 12" - 14" tailstock to modify for use on the Logan but nothing has seemed right so far.

Sorry BH.

I should have made myself clearer as was talking about Australia (where I am) and surmising about else-where.

Given the the US and UK are vastly bigger in this regard, I'd have thought that "spares" etc. would be more available in the US or UK etc.

As the "eBay" route is "out" it looks as if the "make it myself' option is the way to go.

recoilless
11-01-2007, 01:46 PM
Didn't completely build one but I needed on for my Hardinge H/V indexer. I realized that the other Hardinge indexer(horizontal model) would work well considering the center heights would be spot on. Only piece I fabbed was the dead center out of O-1. Since those collets are drawn in, I made a removable 60 deg tip with a male plug and corresponding hole on the shank held in collet. Couple of set screws hold it snug, work well on the lighter machining I do with those indexers. Just an idea