PDA

View Full Version : Take me to your lathe

aostling
11-01-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm going to Peru for two weeks. I know a few Spanish words, but don't speak the language. I doubt if I will need to know, but what is the Spanish word for lathe? Online dictionaries say it is torno. But a reverse translation of torno says it can also mean winch or hoist.

If I want to ask somebody if it's okay to take a photo of a lathe, how would I do that?

dicks42000
11-01-2007, 03:42 AM
Well. I'm not sure about "torno" but it sounds about right.
"Donde es el banyo" is "Where is the bathroom ?" or close to it.
Don't piddle on the guys lathe, either.
"Donde es el Torno" ? Well......????
Rick

old-biker-uk
11-01-2007, 04:58 AM
Try this page (http://www.sapiensman.com/ESDictionary/L/Technical_vocabulary_Spanish(L3-A).htm). The site is useful once you fight your way through the adverts.
Mark

aostling
11-01-2007, 05:37 AM
Try this page (http://www.sapiensman.com/ESDictionary/L/Technical_vocabulary_Spanish(L3-A).htm). The site is useful once you fight your way through the adverts.
Mark

Thanks, this site has it all.

andy_b
11-01-2007, 12:23 PM
Well. I'm not sure about "torno" but it sounds about right.
"Donde es el banyo" is "Where is the bathroom ?" or close to it.
Don't piddle on the guys lathe, either.
"Donde es el Torno" ? Well......????
Rick

banyo? banjo? one letter difference. coincidence?
I THINK NOT! :)

andy b.

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2007, 01:35 PM
I think that we have run into trouble.
My french says it comes from 'tour'- not the Tour de France or la Tour d'Eiffel or Eiffel Tower.

The word has to go - Tourno or torno.
I was once stuck for screwdriver in Menorca and my language failed me and I stuttered out the French-- Tournevis. I got back a reply to suggest that I spoke Menorquin, not Catalan or Langue D'Oc or Castillian.

To illustrate the variation in Spanish- Cheese sections are no longer Quesitos but include Gaztatxoak, Formatgets and Queixinos.

A shop is Abierto-open but should be Cerrado- for closed. Where my home is, it is Tancat.
I pay my rates and taxes to Alayor or Alaior town hall. Neither word is remotely Spanish. It is Arabic and translates as 'God with us'. I hope that He is

recoilless
11-01-2007, 01:36 PM
Recalling my 3 yrs of high school Spanish(my dad was my teacher), I believe that "Donde ESTA el ban~o?" or literally in English,"Where is it the bathroom?"

aostling
11-01-2007, 01:44 PM
A shop is Abierto-open but should be Cerrado- for closed. Where my home is, it is Tancat.

I've wondered where you live. Now I'm guessing Barcelona?

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Recoiless makes a point but it it now archaic.
Former tongues are becoming prevalent all over Europe.
The Welsh are, well, the North is speaking welsh as a First language.
The Scots - the Gaels not the Sassenachs 'have' the Gaelic.
The South of France has the old Langue D'Oc. I was romping through a novel about the Cathars- and found that I knew all the words used in conversation.

I now speak the old language of the area around Tyneside. It is part Norse.
the Scots, would you believe, have lots of French from the Auld Alliance as well as from the coarser French of Gwilliam le Batard.

C'est vrai.

Allan,

Je Demeurre en Angleterre- mais!
Alaior is in the Island of Menorca which is part of the Balearics in Spain. This is where the word- ballistics- is obtained.
'Stone throwers' or as the locals shout 'balls to the lot of you'

old-biker-uk
11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
My old Type 2 VW died several years ago in darkest Estramadura, the phrase book was of little use trying to explain to El Jefe del Taller that the bearings on the dynamo were b*gg**ed.
On paying the bill I found out the office Jefe spoke a bit of English, he asked where we had been & where we were going, I explained we had driven down through France, over the Pyrenees and were going back the same way, his comment was 'Such a long way in such an old vehicle' !
No sense of adventure....
Mark

What you say & what people hear are not always the same thing.

aostling
11-01-2007, 02:12 PM
Alaior is in the Island of Menorca which is part of the Balearics in Spain.

So you are a Geordie living on Menorca? I admire your polylinguistic skills.

According to my Rough Guide Alaior has two good cheese shops, La Payesa and Coinga, which sell queso Mahon for cheap. You are a lucky man!

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2007, 05:57 PM
Ah, but Dear Allan!

I have a bicycle and can be found like a Chamois- or Chamois leather in the Savoie in ---- sounds of the Marseillaise---- La Belle France. Mais oui, mon vieux.
Complete with black beret, black vest and a smelly cigarette and singing 'Ou est le papier?) La toilette variete, n'est pas?

Of course, La Coinga----- owned by Kraft now. I confess to being a fully paid up member of Age Concern Menorca- with engraved Zimmer frame with the family crest and complete with two spotty dogs and whatnots. Read it up- look for Ravensworth Castle and the Liddells. Have a copy of Alice in Wonderland handy- you'll need it. Fancy a moth eaten castle?
Allan you don't know the other half- yet!

But, I write - as Aviemoron.
Aviemore is a wee bit from--- snorts of fire and brimstone--- the Loch Ness Monster. Time to clash the Claymore and hail the Bonnie Prince Charlie- noo awa' and feed the young haggis.

And you think that I might just be pulling your leg.

aostling
11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
But, I write - as Aviemoron.
And you think that I might just be pulling your leg.

So who are you really? Poirot?

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2007, 06:33 PM
But mon ami, Hercule Poirot was not French- he was a Belgian who eats pommes frite/French fries with Mayonaise which was from Mahon or Mao which is the next town to---------Alayor.

Mahon of course, is where Lord Nelson bought a small villa on the holiday insurance he took out when in Egypt. He lost an arm and an eye, if you recall.
Allan - you were warned. Menorca is where they have boats made out of stone- see Naveta de ES Tudons.

platypus2020
11-01-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm going to Peru for two weeks....

Aostling,

You didn't say what the trip was for, but if you have time go to Machu Picchu, before they close it down to visitors, it is amazing. Also have you rode any of the cogged railways in the Andes? The inclines the travel have to be seen to be believed, I rode them in Peru and Ecuador. Have a great time.

Jack

aostling
11-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Aostling,
You didn't say what the trip was for, but if you have time go to Machu Picchu, before they close it down to visitors, it is amazing. Also have you rode any of the cogged railways in the Andes? The inclines the travel have to be seen to be believed, I rode them in Peru and Ecuador.

Jack,

Thanks, I hope I will get to see some of these cog RRs. I'm joining my brother and his wife at their invitation, so have not had any input on the itinerary. We will be seeing Machu Picchu, Cuzco, Arequipa, and Lima. It's my first trip to South America. Leaving on 5 November.

Norman Atkinson
11-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Allan,

So if you think Peru has something try Googling 'Taulas, Talayots and Navetas'

I could have pulled your leg about a deaf one eyed Arab giant called Xoroi. He lived just around the corner- from me.

geraldvowles
11-01-2007, 08:05 PM
I wonder if he speaks "the doric" as well?

Norman Atkinson
11-02-2007, 02:47 AM
Doric? To a degree?

Now I already said that the family title was Ravensworth. If I added a number like 2674, would you be any wiser? There is a mystical Oriental Number 9371 but that , for me, deals with arches.

Regarding the Spanish connection, I do have these strange Tee shaped things from out of the Bronze Age literally around the corner from where our Mr Xoroi is claimed to have jumped.

Unquestionably, Menorca is a very strange island. In truth, I do have a place there. Had it for over 30 years. Pin pointing, the village is Cala En Porter.