X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rgbai
    • Mar 2006

really cool table saw

this would be good for school shop classes.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
  • andy_b
    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by rgbai

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esnQwVZOrUU
    yeah, really cool. that guy in the video threatened a lawsuit to make all saw manufacturers install his device on table saws. the device adds several HUNDRED dollars to the cost of a saw. that means any manufacturer of saws costing less than about $1000 would be shut down. how would you like it if you were on a fixed income and wanted to do some home improvement projects and that $200 Home Depot saw just went up to $1000?

also, if the saw has a false trip, YOU have to pay to fix it, not the safety saw boys. the replacement cartridge is almost $100.

sure, you can't put a price on a finger (well, lawyers can), but maybe some people shouldn't use power tools.

don't get me wrong, i do think that in training situations it would be a good idea. places like the shop class. of course, there will always be some idjut who just has to bring in the hotdogs and trip the safety.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Ahhh..the infamous Sawstop saw,good idea if your in business and have employees,it will reduce your workman's comp payments.

But for the average owner it's a loss.Like Andy mentioned the cartridges are expensive and take time to change and they don't really mention the fact that it ruins the blade too.Not to bad if your into $10 blades,but if you run $100 plus Forrest baldes like I do the $125 cartridge and the $100 blade add up.

I don't see the need for it in an educational situation either.Students need to be taught how to adjust and tune the saw so kick backs don't occur in the first place.There is no substitute for learning not only how to use a tool but also learning how to adjust and maintain it.

I saw one demonstrated once at a tool show,it is impressive,but the saw cost $3250 as I recall where a comparable saw without the feature is less than $1800.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• mechanicalmagic
        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by rgbai
        Actually, in college, one of my instructors chopped off part of a finger on a table saw. Very dramatic demonstration. (Not my class time, I missed it.)

I think students should be taught a very healthy respect for machine tools, (bordering on fear). NOT taught to depend on high tech safety equipment.

IM (not so humble opinion)

Comment

Working...
        X