PDA

View Full Version : Lazy,stupid maybe both

cybor462
11-03-2007, 01:17 AM
I wonder how many of you guys are like I am. Let me explain...

The other day there was a post about the value of making a QCTP holder or was it better to buy. One of you guys referred to the CDCO price of $10 and that it would not pay to make it.

I agree but I know I was paying $25-$40 buying Phase II holders from Enco. I tried Grizz and their imports were bad and cost $25+ each depending on the type. I bought some of those and they were junk. I do not think they are hardened (I did not try the file test) but they mark easily. The set screws round out in a heartbeat (yes I use the right allen) and the just do not seem to fit properly. They are not Phase II just a cheap knock off. The adjustment post are not straight,, just a real mess. I no longer get them but just kept buying from Enco and paid what I thought was a good price until..............

The other day when I looked ad CDCO and decided I would try those $13 holders. I had a good feeling and bought 8 as I like to have all my tools setup and centered so all I do is swap out holders. They came today and I could not tell them apart from Phase II except the Phase II name was not on it. They are very good quality, lock up tight, setscrews are a good fit (threads are tight) they are hardened. All for $13 .

I have this problem of being lazy and when I find what seems to be a decent deal I stop looking and stick with one supplier. How many of you guys are the same. Not sure if it is my age or how I was raised but I always seem to stick with one and not look elsewhere. Yes I have also been married 30 years so maybe that tells the story.

My point is I have been cheating myself of good deals and better tooling. I looked thru CDCO catalog today and they have the same or better import tools than Enco at much lower prices.

I need to start looking but I keep finding myself looking to deal with one source only. Kick my head in but I need help.

Dr Phil what should I do?

oldtiffie
11-03-2007, 02:15 AM
I wonder how many of you guys are like I am. Let me explain...

The other day there was a post about the value of making a QCTP holder or was it better to buy. One of you guys referred to the CDCO price of $10 and that it would not pay to make it.

My point is I have been cheating myself of good deals and better tooling. I looked thru CDCO catalog today and they have the same or better import tools than Enco at much lower prices.

I need to start looking but I keep finding myself looking to deal with one source only. Kick my head in but I need help.

Dr Phil what should I do?

Thanks cybor462.

The owner at CDCO runs an excellent "shop" as you say.

Same applies at Littlemachineshop.com.

I have had excellent results as regards price, quality and service from both.

I live in Australia so having a bitch and returning stuff is not realistic.

The service by US Postal Service is absolutely marvelous - but its expensive but as its the "going rate", I pay it.

I had quite a few dealings with both and can thoroughly recommend them.

And why do I buy stuff in the US? Because some of it is better than here, some is not available here, it is still cheaper than here as regards total "bang for buck".

Of course, the local suppliers here are approached here first.

I have a list of "preferred" suppliers that I trust and use pretty well exclusively - and both CDCO and LMS are firmly on it.

I hope this helps.

Your Old Dog
11-03-2007, 08:01 AM
I do the same thing with restaurants. Once I hit on a meal I like at a restaurant I won't try anything else on the menu for fear of getting screwed out of a good dining experiance :D It's probably why I'm up 100 lbs over what I should be.

Norman Atkinson
11-03-2007, 10:06 AM
YOD,
100lbs over???? You were serious about those pine coffin plans?
Sorry, Ray, but I don't want to see your feet coming through the door before you do.

OK?

Norm

andy_b
11-03-2007, 01:31 PM
I do the same thing with restaurants. Once I hit on a meal I like at a restaurant I won't try anything else on the menu for fear of getting screwed out of a good dining experiance :D

that's funny. that is EXACTLY what i do. my wife will tell me, "you should try the xxxxxx here, it is delicious", but i always get the same thing. :)

i'm the same with shopping as well. generally once i find a place that has something i like, i'll keep going back. if i'm looking for something odd, or something i never purchased before, then i'll sometimes do a search for the best deal.

i think next time i go out to eat i will order something different on the menu.

andy b.

Your Old Dog
11-03-2007, 01:46 PM
Sorry, Ray, but I don't want to see your feet coming through the door before you do.

ROFLAMO :D

Your Old Dog
11-03-2007, 01:49 PM
that's funny. that is EXACTLY what i do. my wife will tell me, "you should try the xxxxxx here, it is delicious", but i always get the same thing. :)

i'm the same with shopping as well. generally once i find a place that has something i like, i'll keep going back. if i'm looking for something odd, or something i never purchased before, then i'll sometimes do a search for the best deal.

i think next time i go out to eat i will order something different on the menu.

andy b.

Well that's probably why I can't think "out of the box". But in my defense, when I was in high school that's all I really dreamed about... thinking in the box! What's the old phrase, be carefull what you dream for?"

platypus2020
11-03-2007, 05:01 PM
...Dr Phil what should I do?

Up until the last line you had me, ...Dr Phil :eek:

I have bought from CDCO a couple of time, and have had a good experience, the only time I buy from Grizzly is when I make a trip to the Muncy, PA, I want to look at the products, to be sure it what I really want. The QCTP holders I bought from Grizzly were great, tight, good screws and hardened, and most importantly on sale, averaged about $13/ea.

Jack