PDA

View Full Version : what a paint job look at the motor

Alistair Hosie
11-03-2007, 05:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300166019132&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

In THe ad the guys states this

I've never used this, don't know how to," I just did it up" but it works OK

He'd better have left it alone look at the paint job on the motor:D:DAlistair

11-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Alistair all I saw were a few runs, Don't you know thats so it will run faster.....:D

matador
11-03-2007, 06:00 PM
At least he took the trouble to mask off the sliding surfaces etc.I've seen a lot worse:D.

Alistair Hosie
11-03-2007, 06:31 PM
ok guys I admit it it is better than mine that's why I am jealous:DAlistair

IOWOLF
11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
Wow, check out that "Raised white letter effect".

oldtiffie
11-03-2007, 08:49 PM
Well, well, well.

All that comment on the motor that is dismounted - but there is still one on the lathe (even though there is no power to it).

And now the piece' de resistance' (tah, dah!!!):

The key is still in the lathe chuck and not a comment on it!!

http://i21.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/c0/07/d9e0_2.JPG

Oh me, oh my.

Things have progressed!!

wierdscience
11-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Alistair,the old country folks around here have a saying to desribe ugly-

"That looks like a cows ass sewed up with a grapevine and painted with a pine top":D:D They aren't known for holding back thier honest opinion:D

lazlo
11-03-2007, 11:18 PM
That's a damn site nicer paint job than the typical Ebay Machinery Dealer: polish all exposed metal with ScotchBrite and cover everything with a thick coat of dark paint so it's hard to see wear.

There's been a bunch of really sad "rattle can" paint jobs posted on PM, where the seller just covered everything in paint, including the leadscrew, the change gears, the ways, the compound, ... Those kind of guys are usually in such a hurry that they don't bother to cover the floor, and there's a huge paint shadow on the floor where they went crazy with the spray paint.

I've also seen sellers spraypaint gun blued (black oxide) handles and handwheels with black paint, to hide wear.

I think there should be a special place in Hell for the Rustoleum abusers. They should share a cell with the guys who leave machine tools outside for several years, then list them on Ebay as having "surface rust."

J Tiers
11-03-2007, 11:21 PM
But they DO have "surface rust".

Every surface IS rusted, and very well done, at that, so why are you complaining?

I'd call it truthful advertising........ ;)

oldtiffie
11-03-2007, 11:47 PM
But they DO have "surface rust".

Every surface IS rusted, and very well done, at that, so why are you complaining?

You got it JT.

Loved the "sly dig".

The rust where it might be a worry is there to see - appears to be minor surface rust anyway - and if that's as bad as it is then that lathe might be OK.

As you say - truth (even if unintended - but I don't know that) in advertising.

The rest of the paint job looks OK and there are no visible serious faults.

But that's Ebay - "yer pays yer munny 'n' ya takes yer chances".

Having said that, there shouldn't be anything wrong that a half competent HSM couldn't fix or work around to use the lathe until he gets around to fixing it.

The motor should easily cleaned - as long as it works, that's OK.

lazlo
11-04-2007, 12:00 AM

:D

I guess the clarification I would make is how far down does the surface rust go.
We've all seen machines that were left outside, and unless you live in Arizona, it's not a pretty sight.

pntrbl
11-04-2007, 01:43 AM
This is ugly.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/before-1.jpg

Same lathe. 3 months later.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n300/pntrbl/Lathe.jpg

But I wouldn't call it done yet. ;) I just got done rebushing the gear train and now it's humming instead of howling. :D But I still got issues in there in that I need to make some new shafts. Unfortunately the worst one, (tapered .010), has a woodruff cut and I can't do that ... yet.

It's all good tho. As soon as I get my XLO mill refurbished I'll get back in there with some new shafting. Given time and a continuing education from the fine people on this board these machines are gonna be a couple of sweet pieces someday.

SP

lazlo
11-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Beautiful job SP!! :)

Alistair Hosie
11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
what I found funny was that he said I done it up.That usually means your proud of the work, you did and you made an improvement:DAlistair