PDA

View Full Version : Mitutoyo Combimike

David S Newman
11-04-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm contemplating buying a Mitutoyo Combimike as it would be useful for me to read inch and metric in one go, I prefer mechanical rather than electronic micrometers anyone out there have any experience with these Combimikes and would it be a good choice? David

Alan in Oz
11-04-2007, 05:15 PM
David,
I have a Mitutoyo 193 series, imperial on the digital side and metric on the thimble. While the thimble is fine, the Imperial side only reads down to 1 thou increments, this combined with a bit of play in the gearing means not so accurate imperial readings. Good for close enough though. I understand that there are ones that are a 1/10 of a thou on the spindle and metric on the dial, probably better. I had the same reluctance on electronic types but after owning one I think its great, accurate in both units and a settable reference point anywhere within the range, clear readings and no ambiguity, only down side I see is batteries and they don't bounce so well.

David S Newman
11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks Alan, now you've got me thinking , these Combimikes are very expensive but sound very interesting, think i'll have a look at electronic but still favour the old fashioned mechanical which have served us all well for so many years . I have micrometers owned by me for over 40 years and still as accurate as the day they were made, wonder if todays electronic ones will still be going in 2047 ad, none I would think ??? David

Alan in Oz
11-05-2007, 03:36 PM
David,
Some valid points. The electronic units I find are not as well balanced as say the older mechanical type such as the Moore and Wright, but as the eyes get tired the electronic display is sure easy to read.

David S Newman
11-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Alan , your absolutely correct as far as the eyes go. I now use a loop to read mine, but still seem to get the readings OK and the end result as it should be.
But maybe in a few years I may agree with you go into the 21st century and electronic. If i'm still turning the handles and not sitting against the wall in an old peoples home watching the clock go round. David