PDA

View Full Version : How to glue Acrylic

h12721
11-04-2007, 11:12 PM
I need to join some acrylic parts to acrylic (Plexiglas) what is the best glue to use? Acetone, grazie glue or??
Hilmar

snowman
11-04-2007, 11:14 PM
I need to join some acrylic parts to acrylic (Plexiglas) what is the best glue to use? Acetone, grazie glue or??
Hilmar

they make a glue that is specially made for it.

x39
11-04-2007, 11:21 PM
"Rez-n-Bond" is what I used when I was doing a lot of plexi-glas work. Applied neatly it is almost invisible.

h12721
11-04-2007, 11:23 PM
X39, where do you get it?
Hilmar

x39
11-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Google it, any of the larger plastic supply houses should carry it. Total Plastics comes to mind. Edited to add- if you can acquire some hypodermic syringes they make very good applicators for this product as it is a liquid.

Mad Scientist
11-04-2007, 11:31 PM
Acrylic solvent cement
By
Craftics, Inc.

Or by its generic name:
Methylene chloride

Will weld your parts together within seconds!

moldmonkey
11-04-2007, 11:45 PM
We use the Weld-On acrylic cements.

The #3 is water-thin and will wick between parts already clamped together and sets up quickly. A plastic syringe and needle makes a good dispenser.

The #16 is thick and goes on with a acid brush.

We use the #4052 on PVC,ABS, etc.

Weld=On (http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgPage.aspx?ReqTyp=CATALOG&CtlgPgNbr=3309&term=Acrylic%2bCements&sesnextrep=890696098279956&ScreenWidth=1280&McMMainWidth=875)

ProGunOne
11-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Been many years since high school metal/plastics shop class where acetone was what was used?

agrip
11-04-2007, 11:59 PM
The methylene chloride based solvent cements if augmented with dissolved acrylic will wick under prepared and placed joints and make water clear welds.

The "thicker" cements can be placed and the joint assembled.

I used to assemble joints separated by .005" dia wires and a syringe to feed the augmented stuff in, count to 30 and pull the wires out, while lightly pressing the joint home.

The customer always asked how do you do that, (get a long joint with no bubbles or crazing).

The secret was, i MADE a screw feed for the syringe, that I could work with one hand. Kinda handy for putting down the right amount, had to be enough but no more.

Good luck Ag

rantbot
11-05-2007, 01:34 AM
MEK (methylethylketone) will work, but not any better than the solvent the plastics suppliers sell.

darryl
11-05-2007, 02:47 AM
Methylene chloride works, but put simply it's a health hazard. It also has an annoying habit of dispensing itself out of the container after awhile. You come back to what you think is a half bottle, and it's gone. Keep that in mind as you're using and storing it. I just checked my bottle- there is some left in it. I guess the cap is on pretty tight.

I think the idea of the augmented mc is good- I may have used that as one of the products in the Weld-on line, but I don't know. Maybe that #3 is such a product. I've used the #16 and wasn't particularly impressed with it.

At one point I was getting better results with mc by brushing some on the cut edge before assembling parts for further welding. It dries so fast, but it seemed to prep the edge to better accept the mc being wicked into the joint.

stuntrunt
11-05-2007, 04:21 AM
Chloroform, but be careful...

Your Old Dog
11-05-2007, 06:57 AM
For those of you who are hard of hearing I want to be sensitive to your plight like ProGunOne!! I learned a lot from this thread.

Sorry, I'm horse. I bought a pile of plexiglass at a hamfest last summer with intentions of learning how to glue it.

BTW, ran across this site while following some links searching out Rez N Bond:
http://www.totalplastics.com/about_us/downloads

ptjw7uk
11-05-2007, 08:39 AM
I wish you well but be careful using solvent glue on old plastic as it has a tendency to craze.
I think as long as the material is fairly new then it should glue OK.

Peter

Your Old Dog
11-05-2007, 09:16 AM
I wish you well but be careful using solvent glue on old plastic as it has a tendency to craze.
I think as long as the material is fairly new then it should glue OK.

Peter

Thanks for the heads up. I would have not figured that age could affect it.

Pete H
11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Methylene chloride's nasty, alright, and particularly bad for people with cardiac arrythmias. But good ventilation will take care of it. Just don't store it in plastic - it'll dissolve most plastics in a few seconds, and will even harden and embrittle polyethylene over time.

Methylene chloride will bond acrylic by "solvent welding" all by itself, but the joints have to fit really well. Years back I bought a bottle of acrylic glue called MC-7 . It's acrylic dissolved in a solvent mixture ("MC" for methylene chloride). Thin enough to wick in, but thick enough to fill small gaps.

BTW, in one of my early jobs, we used methylene chloride for cleaning up polymers. We'd run thru a 55-gallon drum of the stuff in a month. It took about a day for me to learn that if you get it on your hands for more than a few seconds, it will start to burn and sting; and if you try to wash it off, the water will just hold it in. My boss told me the best thing was to blow on it and rub it to help it evaporate. Pete in NJ

john hobdeclipe
11-05-2007, 02:03 PM
I've made table saw guards and similar items from clear acrylic, and glued the pieces together with CA adhesive ("Super Glue.") A lot depends on how pretty you want the joint to be. These didn't matter.