PDA

View Full Version : OT portable monitors for cameras

darryl
11-05-2007, 03:20 AM
I would like to be able to view the images stored in the camera on a portable viewscreen of some sort. Nothing fancy, just scroll through images using the camera's controls, but view on a separate screen. I'd rather not have the camera's screen on during this, but that's not a big deal. Is this something that can work?

Of course I can do this with a laptop, but at much greater expense than it's worth to me. I'm thinking of those portable dvd players with the lcd screens- one with a video input should be able to handle the video output from the camera, and that should be able to send the stills as I scroll through them on camera- is this so?

I can do without the dvd player. All I want is a display screen, powered from the cigar lighter socket.

Your Old Dog
11-05-2007, 06:18 AM
My 5x7 GPS screen has a video input for cameras. I would imagine there may be a portable DVD player out there with the same input. Did your camera come with a cable having little stereo plug on one and two RCA phono plugs on the other?

For any other shutter bugs out there who might happen to have HDTV at home. I just made a CD slide show and played it on my Sony HDTV. The images are simply unreal. Better than any slide projector I've seen. It wasn't happy with some 3.3 meg files but the 5.6 and 10.3 images are stunning when viewed on HiDef.

aostling
11-05-2007, 07:30 AM
The Epson P-5000 is such a device, but quite expensive. It gets good reviews for image quality.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63061068

Your Old Dog
11-05-2007, 08:19 AM
The Epson P-5000 is such a device, but quite expensive. It gets good reviews for image quality.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?oid=63061068

You're right it is price-ee considering that's all it does. My Garmin StreetPilot 7200 GPS unit is selling for just a few bucks more and it has a NTSC/PAL switchable video input. I bought it because of it's unusually large screen.

Evan
11-05-2007, 09:18 AM
You might have a look at some of the current crop of LCD picture frames. They are picking up in resolution and dropping in price. Some have video inputs and all will take a memory card, usually SD and various others. They have good battery life and can be had for under $100.

This one is 7", is available here for $89, has DVD resolution, touch screen and SD, MMC, MS Card and USB Jump drive. Not sure about video in though.

http://images.canadiantire.ca/media/images/products/images/Electronics/TVsAccessories/TVs/0995403_450_CC_6a825.jpg

Alistair Hosie
11-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Evan you look much younger with a shave and a haircut:DAlistair

Dragons_fire
11-05-2007, 10:14 AM
Walmart as a 5" b+w tv that can be powered by 6 (i think) C-cells. you could plug your camera into it with the video port and should be able to view your pics on it... it has ok resolution and fairly good contrast, but it is only black and white.. now or the best part, i only paid $15cdn or it...

Evan
11-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Darryl,

I forgot to mention that the frame above is at Canadian Tire right now.

darryl
11-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks, guys. I kind of thought this would be easy, but I didn't know. I haven't been into tv or videos for some years now, so I'm not really up on what's available. I did see a Sony lcd monitor the other day ( a large home model) that blew away all the rest on display there with its image quality. Wow! Now you can watch 35 minutes of ads per hour in stunning realism and rich, vibrant color with blacks as black as black ink on a black night in a dark corner, and whites as white as a nuclear bomb going off! I'll take two!

Anyway, I'm off to check out a few of those picture frames.

Dawai
11-05-2007, 03:35 PM
When I was having trouble with my eyesight, I bought the sony monitor. It really helped me out.

Of course right after I bought it they got cheaper.. just like the Nikon camera.. just like the .... Cofer-luck?

I got a Radio linked camera off ebay, use it for a backing up camera, trailer hitch ball line up too. AND the front drive watcher. I rigged a fence post cap it just sits on the post. Super twist lcd display is ten times better than I needed. (just what does that mean?)

I too am falling behind on things like this.

Evan
11-05-2007, 06:05 PM
(just what does that mean?)

Super twist means that the liquid crystal molecule rotates further when the electric field changes resulting in a better contrast ratio.

darryl
11-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Well, I had an interesting time checking out the options. There are a lot of picture frames, but none had a video input. All were card readers, which kind of defeats my purpose. Most if not all had the usb port which would allow a memory stick reading, but not apparently any direct image transfer between camera and monitor.

Some of these picture frames were touted as high resolution, and the pictures that were displayed on them looked good. Many were so-so, not unexpectedly. One had a resolution of 300x254, something like that. I think the cameras viewfinder is better than that.

I looked at systems meant for vehicles, in which there are two main categories, back-up camera systems, and dvd players. Of the dvd players, some had the secondary screen, and lo and behold- a video input. Perfect, except that I wasn't able to find a way to make the picture fit the screen. The displayed pic left borders all around, so the picture was much smaller than the screen size, and looked terrible. A movie being played looked way better than a still image- I wouldn't and didn't pay money for that. Maybe this is an issue with my camera, I don't know. I imagine it could well be a factor defined by the cameras viewscreen resolution, and maybe pictures shown through the video output port won't look good on any monitor. I'll have to try to discover what's what with this.

I've got a few more things to check on, so maybe I'll come up with something better. I know at one point there were outboard viewscreens meant for video cameras, so I can ask about that. I don't recall any of those being larger than what comes in most cameras these days, so maybe that won't be an option for me either. Maybe one of those color monitors mounted atop a video camera woud be the ticket- one with the eyecup and the miniature color crt. At least I could get to view the image in focus and without extraneous light. The electronic viewfinders worked for me, but of course the digital slr doesn't use that. Hmm, I must have one or two defunct video cameras in the shop that I could rig up for a test- just using the display module. Hmm

Sure is a pain when your vision is not primo anymore.

darryl
11-05-2007, 10:48 PM
well well- I found an lcd color viewfinder on a high-end videocamera I have laying around. I wonder what the resolution is-

Now it looks like I'll have to take it apart-

darryl
11-07-2007, 01:15 AM
In case anyone's interested- more feedback on the rebel xt. I found that the resolution is fairly poor coming from the video output. This no doubt is part of why it doesn't display well on an external lcd monitor. It's also not that stable- the monitors I tried it on, including one of my tvs, don't sync very well with the image. Many of the images were torn in different spots as they were being displayed. All in all, not a very useful output.

My intent with the external display was to let me better see the effect of changes in the recording parameters, but it seems the best use of the display (on camera and through any other viewing device) is to show basically that a picture has been taken, and if it's grossly dark or light. There is info displayed with the image, so that can be useful, but would be hard to gauge what changes might be made to improve a subsequent shot without getting a better look at the previous image. Oh well, not much to do about that- I could have gone for the xti and maybe should have. Again, oh well. I decided against taking the lcd monitor off a video camera and trying to adapt it to this one. If I ever do that, it will be to gain the use of a viewer without interference from sunlight, and to lessen the drain on the cameras battery while using playback mode. I would simply power the viewer separately, and who cares if that battery dies. I can still take pics with the camera. Hm, maybe it would still be worth it.

Well, that's this issue in a nutshell.

oldtiffie
11-07-2007, 01:52 AM
Is this any help?
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=QM3782

darryl
11-07-2007, 02:57 AM
That's an interesting unit. No doubt it would work, but it's overkill.

Just for laughs, I took apart a video camera I have to see if it would work with the rebel. I'm trying to get up the nerve to touch the output wire from the camera to what looks like it could be the video input to the viewfinder. I have to decypher all these wires, and I don't want to damage the rebel.

Besides that, it looks like the viewfinder has about the same resolution as the one on the rebel, so it could work fine. I have to find out why I have 16 volts coming into the viewfinder- the supply voltage is only 7 or so. First I'll see if the video displays ok.

Dawai
11-07-2007, 03:07 AM
That's basically the same lcd screen I bought, with a radio linked camera and convertors. I gave $200 for all.. All 12 volt powered. Ohh, and it all works with the remote control on the lawnmower. I was going to mount the screen above the joysticks.

Nice resolution on the screen, clear crisp.

Your Old Dog
11-07-2007, 06:32 AM
In case anyone's interested- more feedback on the rebel xt. I found that the resolution is fairly poor coming from the video output. This no doubt is part of why it doesn't display well on an external lcd monitor. It's also not that stable- the monitors I tried it on, including one of my tvs, don't sync very well with the image. Many of the images were torn in different spots as they were being displayed. All in all, not a very useful output.

Are you sure the cameras menu is set to NTSC and not PAL for the output?

My cameras look great on my 1080P HDTV as long as they are more than 3.3 megapixels. Even the 3.3 stuff is acceptable if they haven't been massaged and over processed to death in Photoshop! :D

PTSideshow
11-07-2007, 06:40 AM
Darryl,

I forgot to mention that the frame above is at Canadian Tire right now.
And Micro center here in the US has something along the same line. I noticed when I was in getting the LCD 22" monitor.
http://microcenter.com/
http://microcenter.com/search_results_e.phtml?category_title=Personal+Vid eo+Devices&search_id=59ffc9931295910ed7f2ef9d4dd1be8c&sort_by=&manufacturer_title=
:D

darryl
11-07-2007, 11:25 PM
Yes, it is set to ntsc. I didn't try pal as I didn't expect that to work at all on an ntsc system.

My images don't look great, in fact they look poor on my tv and on two lcd screens that I tried.

Update on the lcd viewfinder that I might have used- it requires 16 volts for operation to begin with, and also needs a separate sync signal. I'm not going to bother going that deep with it.

I will look at those links, PT. Maybe there's something there that will work, or give me other ideas.

Speaking of other ideas, this camera is what they call 'picture bridge' compatible, meaning that it can send an image out to a printer. If it can do that, surely it can send an image out to any picture bridge compatible viewer. There's another dead end, er I mean avenue, that I can look into. With this camera, there are several options to control how the images are printed. Borders or not, rotated, etc. I don't remember all of it. Maybe I'll find something yet.

By the way, if anyone knows of a reasonable on-line forum on photography, feel free to suggest it. I may not have to bug this forum with these OTs so much.

Evan
11-08-2007, 03:38 AM
Photography isn't off topic. It's an area where the HSM has a huge advantage in that many of the available accessories can be made quite easily at a major saving in cost. It's also a field where historically the inventions and mechanisms used have often been developed by individuals working alone in home shops and similar environments.

PTSideshow
11-08-2007, 06:56 AM
Here you go they have some great stuff sort of the HSM of photo's :D http://digital-photography-school.com/forum/
The light box is neat.
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/

darryl
11-09-2007, 08:10 PM
Thanks, PT. I'm now registered on another forummmmmmmmm- where will I find time to actually do a project or take pictures-:)