PDA

View Full Version : Smartflix?

carlquib
11-06-2007, 01:30 PM
I have been wondering about renting videos from this outfit so I can decide if they are worth buying, but after reading their terms and conditions, I am a little leery of the service. So, I was wondering what other peoples experience has been? Was the service good, are they as bad to work with as the terms and conditions make it sound? Is it worth the ten bucks to rent videos from these guys for a week? They sure don't provide the kind of service that netflix has, but I guess it is due to it being a much more limited market. After reading some of the reviews that I have seen here on the board of some of the videos I would like to preview before I spend the cash, other options? Thanks.

-brian

lazlo
11-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I've rented a bunch of video from SmartFlix (they used to be called "TechnicalVideoRental") -- they're good people.

I rented the Daryl Holland Lathe series, which was fantastic.
Steve Bleile's Arc Welding, Oxy Welding, and MIG welding video are also excellent.

Bill Pace
11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
I too have rented several and got good service......I had a bit of a gripe when I requested 4 of D Hollands mill series, they sent one, out of sequence, saying the others were out on rental , and charged my credit card --- then waited almost 3 weeks before sending the rest.

wschoenbeck
11-06-2007, 03:39 PM
I'm also a satisfied customer. renting and return was very easy. I've only rented Rudy Khouhoupt horizontal mill video so far. Fair quality but Rudy, bless his heart, was deathly boring to listen to. I'm not a fan of MTV style fast cut editing but that video could have benefitted from some serious edit room work. I'll rent again in the future (even one of Rudy's vid's).

PTSideshow
11-06-2007, 03:47 PM
BY all means read the reviews as some are no more than two redneck knifemakers with an air compressor working during the video. Winging it, with the sun coming in obstructing the view or one of them with their hand blocking the shot. or the drawing on the inside of a cardbord box with a #2 pencil/marker. There is more and that was only one dvd. You can read my reviews (GRP)
They have all that for the legal eagles, as people do copy the dvd's and the people producing the bad ones aren't happy.
I have rented a lot of them since they statred. and have only good to say. Other than they make it clear in the adverts that you only get to use the coupon code one time even if it a different one.:rolleyes:

Wayne02
11-06-2007, 10:45 PM
Is there a membership fee you have to pay with this outfit or is it just the $10 per movie for one week?

cybor462
11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
I too have rented some and except for damaged DVD or copies, yes many are home copies and they are mostly -R which are not very compatible today.
They always sent another and I am pleased.
They are not all 10 bucks. If you rent a set you could pay 120.00 for 14 or 39 bucks for 2, depends on the program.

I second the warning about reading the reviews as I had rented a series that was Elmer Fudd and his cats looking more goofy and making more mistakes than I do.
Heah maybe I can produce a series! :D

All in all go for it.

11-06-2007, 11:53 PM
I've rented a few from them, you only pay the rental price....And why would one copy those is be on me...:D

carlquib
11-07-2007, 12:45 PM
So is the quality of these videos substandard? The way they talk in there terms I thought that they would all be originals and not copies of copies. So, are most of the originals just garbage or does smartflix have bad copies?

-brian

lazlo
11-07-2007, 12:51 PM
This is a touchy subject, but SmartFlix only rents DVD's, and yes, every movie that I've rented from them was a copy of the original DVD.

I don't know if SmartFlix actually sends out the original DVD's.

The copy that you get will be indistinguishable from the original, but what PT and others are saying is that some of the videos SmartFlix carries are very amatuerish. Heck, Randy Kouhoupts's videos are very poorly made, but the content is good enough that its still worth watching. Other videos may not be.

Darryl Holland's videos, while not professional production quality, are far better than Rudy's.

SmartFlix has renter reviews under each title -- read through those and you should get a good feel for whether the video is worth $10.

Bill Pace
11-07-2007, 01:12 PM
Yeah, Darryl's vids, while not professional are very informative and move right along, where Rudy's are informative but boooring! Then there are Rodriguez's which are just plain awful.....so, its a mixed bag of vids and if you rent very many of them you'll probably get a dud, but I still feel that its worth the $10.

carlquib
11-07-2007, 01:29 PM
That's too bad, the gear making video by Jose is the one that I was wondering about getting. I would like to find a way to make more accurate gears. I have made them using my shaper and I have made several of them using a flycutter. But I have never seen a gear being hobbed so I am not exactly sure how that works. I have made several worms and wormwheels, but a spur gear would be different. I looked at trying to use Sir Johns method of using the shaper and a rack as the cutter, but I haven't quit figured out how the indexing between the rack and the blank works.

-brian

lazlo
11-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I agree about Jose Rodriquez' gear video Bill -- Jose seems like a really nice guy, and he did manage to make a gear, but man, there were a lot of technical mistakes. Partway through the video he realized he was calculating the DP with the wrong value for Pi, and he was actually cutting gears with TPI pitch, and not diametral pitch anyway... :)

Peter N
11-07-2007, 01:39 PM
There'a a strong school of opinion that says the Jose Rodriguez gear cutting DVD is absolute garbage.
Never seen it myself, so my views can be dismissed, but heres a few comments from Sir John:

/ Quote

It's crap, in fact it's worse than crap it's crap, crap.

Not worth the plastic it's written on.

Reasons:-

In no order,

[1] Out of focus.

[2] Crap.

[3] Using a home made mill from Taig and Sherline parts that hast the
tensile strength of pre stressed licorice so everything moves but not
all in the general direction.

[4] Crap.

[5] Boring.

[6] Crap.

[7] Uses the wrong value of Pi in all the calculations so every
calculation is out.

[8] Crap.

[9] Only works with TPI pitch hobs and never mentions DP or Mod so no
way to calculate for these even if he'd got Pi right in the first
place

[10] Every shot of a finished gear is that bad you can't see whether
it's correct, good bad or crap - suspect crap.

[11] Covers two types of hobbing, one with annular hob teeth where you
take a cut and it cuts one rack tooth and a couple of part teeth, you
then index round and repeat and the action of the part teeth leaves a
tooth with 3 flats on. Many use this method and it's passable for some
work.

Second method is with a helical hob, or in his case a worm as he's on
TPI and using a pre gashed blank he free hobs it and relies on the hob
to drive the blank.

Due to backlash, movement etc this leaves a rough finish to the teeth.

[12] In the latter free hobbing method he tilts the blank and not the
hob so it will cut a wider tooth space than standard due to the
helical angle of the hob. No reason to do this as his Bassets Allsorts
machine can tilt.

[13] He's clueless.

[14] Crap.

/Unquote

lazlo
11-07-2007, 01:41 PM
I looked at trying to use Sir Johns method of using the shaper and a rack as the cutter, but I haven't quit figured out how the indexing between the rack and the blank works.

Hi Brian,

I think you're talking about the Model Engineering article by "Base Circle" which describes how to use a shaper to cut an involute form using an indexer driven off the shaper feed, right?

There was a follow-up article in Model Engineering from an Australian model engineer who tried to replicate Base Circle's setup, and he said that the original article (that's on John's web page) left out a lot of critical details.

One of several major issues the second article describes is that Base Circle's indexing wheel is driven by a wire guide, but he wasn't taking the diameter of the wire into account, so the pitch circle was changing as the indexer advanced. It didn't matter as much for the tiny gears that Base Circle was cutting, but the Australian gentlemen was getting strange tooth forms on larger gears.

He also had serious problems with the overall rigidity of the setup.

Reading through the second article, it seemed like an electronic hobber like Steve made would be simpler, but that might depend on your electronics background...

The followup article is posted on the Yahoo Gear Cutting group "MWMills" -- highly recommended if you're considering the shaper/rack form method...

Cheers,

Robert

Bill Pace
11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
OH MY GOSH!!!--- Is that really quotes from Sir John?

I'm laying in the floor laughing...what a hoot!!---My wifes asking me 'what in the world are you so tickled about'

lazlo
11-07-2007, 02:05 PM
heres a few comments from Sir John:

It's crap, in fact it's worse than crap it's crap, crap.

Not worth the plastic it's written on.

[4] Crap.

[5] Boring.

[6] Crap.

[8] Crap.

[13] He's clueless.

[14] Crap.

OUCH! Did John really write that?! :eek:

I don't disagree, but man, that's harsh! Is Jose a member here? I think he's a member on Chaski...

cybor462
11-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I saw all the vids that are mentioned here. Heah I like Jose but his methods and more importantly his machines are a little flexed. On one video he was using his Sherline and was trying to cut thread that were way too much for the machine, he ended up turning the spindle by hand to keep it moving as it would not move on its own.

That is just plain cheap but he is laughing all the way to the bank each time we rent them. Maybe he made enough money to buy a larger machine. :o

As far as video quality most have been copied from tape so that makes them less than what we are now accustomed too with DVD quality. But overall you can learn from them. I would rent from them again.

Michael C
11-07-2007, 06:31 PM
I'm also a satisfied customer. renting and return was very easy. I've only rented Rudy Khouhoupt horizontal mill video so far. Fair quality but Rudy, bless his heart, was deathly boring to listen to. I'm not a fan of MTV style fast cut editing but that video could have benefitted from some serious edit room work. I'll rent again in the future (even one of Rudy's vid's).

Everytime I turn on the video of Rudy's Pioneer Engine my wife sez: Getting ready for a nap honey? Rudy was and incredible model engineer and person, but damn, his videos are hard to watch for more than a few minutes without wanting to fall asleep.

michael

laddy
11-07-2007, 07:35 PM
Hey,
I have rented a ton of stuff from smartflix and though some have been on the less enlightening side I have always learned something from them. You have to read the previous reviews of the tapes. I have never regretted renting any of the ones I have rented. They are a well run company and I have never had a problem. I look at their lists routinely and select my enetertainment for the weekend. I figured out why my mig welds looked like bird droppings!!! I didn't do a single thing right!! I bought the unit and figured I could do it.... Now I am much better at it. I support them 100% Fred

PTSideshow
11-07-2007, 10:29 PM
As to the question of copies all the dvd's That I have rented are originals that they have purchased from the producers of said video's. They aren't happy about the rental as if the video they put on tape/DVD. Is poorly done you won't likely buy it or any other from them. They are not making money. People are renting the DVD's and making copies of them. As it states on the site they don't care what you do with them if you are renting them.
The production quality of the Video's is bad. I don't see smartflix coping the dvd's and sending them out for rental.
If the dvd is junk it came from the people selling it. And some of them are selling them on Flea Bay.

GadgetBuilder
11-08-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi Lazlo,

I've been thinking about building a gear cutter for the shaper along the lines of the Base Circle article. I looked for the critique you mentioned at mwmills and mwmills2 but didn't find it -perhaps I didn't look in the right place? Was it in the files section or a message?

John

Tim The Grim
11-10-2007, 06:14 PM
I have rented a few "armorers" DVDs and the whole series of Volkswagon "Bug Me" DVDs from Smartflix and they were all the genuine article. I have been completely satisfied with their service.

John Stevenson
11-10-2007, 07:01 PM
For anyone wanting to watch the Rodregius gear cutting video then don't waste your time.

Watch this vid on You Tube from a guy called Hobbynut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MItgd-faHFw

It's in 6 parts, [ the part 7 someone has listed is actually the genuine part 1] and it covers everything on the crap video but done correctly.

These are well worth watching.

What pissed me off the most was this CD cost 32 UKP, about $65 and is total crap, the quality is so bad you have no idea if the gear being cut is any good as you can't see any details.

Another You Tube vid is the one cutting the shaper gears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adRlGffXM5k

This needs to be watched in conjunction with the base circle article.

As some of you know I have a gearcutting setup using a stepper driven arrangement. The idea behind this wasn't mine but a guy called Brian Thompson. I bought a circuit board off Brian and built a setup on my Victoria horizontal mill.

Brian wrote the idea up in MEW #108. Later he asked if afriend could come and video the setup on my mill as his was only top slide mounted and rather flimsy, so these two guys came down and video's making spur and helical gears in my shop.

To say it looked very amateurish in the way it was shot, my crowded shop and no rehearsal I thought it came out very well.

I will make inquiries to see if this footage can be distributed as although I have a copy it's not my call.

lazlo
11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
I looked for the critique you mentioned at mwmills and mwmills2 but didn't find it -perhaps I didn't look in the right place?

It looks like they took it down (or perhaps it was in another Yahoo group). I just emailed it to you.
"Critique" is maybe a bit too strong: it was more of the author's trials and tribulations trying to follow the apparently incomplete directions from the original "Base Circle" shaper article. He was able to make some excellent, and large, gears using the involute rack forming setup.

By the way, why did the old British Model Engineers use pseudonyms? "Geometer" was George Thomas, "Tubal Cain" was Tom D. Walshaw, ...

John Stevenson
11-11-2007, 04:28 PM
By the way, why did the old British Model Engineers use pseudonyms? "Geometer" was George Thomas, "Tubal Cain" was Tom D. Walshaw, ...

Two main reasons, the tax man and the British class society.

At the time these venerable people were writing for ME they would have been paid about 12 shillings and sixpence hapeney per article, add this to the 4 pounds 8 shillings and thrupence they were earning in industry and this would have boosted them into the super tax class.

By using a non-de-plume they could keep their hard won gains away from the British exchequer.

Also at that time ME was read by the whole of the population, not just oily oiks in scruffy sheds but barristers, lords and even Prince Phillip had an interest.
Now doesn't Geometer and Tubal Cain sound a lot grander than Herbert Renishaw or Ernie Musslethwaite ?