PDA

View Full Version : OT - Need help with computer

Steve Steven
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
I know this is not a computer forum, but I need some help here.

I lost my last computer to a lighting strike 2 months ago, used my old laptop while I was getting a new computer and getting it set up. Well, its now set up and I want to put the old emails on the laptop onto the new computer. The laptop has emails going back several years that I might need to access.

I use Outlook Express. I think I should be able to copy the files from my old laptop and put them on the new computer, but I have no idea where I can find the files. Does anyone know where they are stored, and what extension they use? I plan on using a 1G thumb drive to move them, I have used it to move a lot of stuff from the laptop to the new computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

lazlo
11-08-2007, 04:37 PM
It's actually somewhat of a pain to do this on Outlook Express.

Each time you install your OS, Microsoft will create an "identity" for each user login. Your inbox files will be in the "Documents and Settings" folder for the current user account:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C8457EF8-804C-40A8-A218-3ECBFD560785}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That C845.... is my identity. Yours will be something different, and it will change each time you re-install the OS.

The Outlook Express files you want to copy in that directory are the .dbx files:

inbox.dbx
drafts.dbx
Sent Items.dbx

Lew Hartswick
11-08-2007, 06:33 PM
Too bad you aren't using Netscape. I just did that and and could
walk you through it. :-)
...lew...

jacampb2
11-08-2007, 08:35 PM
In outlook express, on the menu bar, click File--->export--->messages

follow the wizard, nothing to it, I did it with MS Outlook to get my office emails to the shop computer.

**Edit** On the new computer, click file--->import--->messages and follow the wizard again.

Later,
Jason

oldtiffie
11-08-2007, 08:49 PM
I know this is not a computer forum, but I need some help here.

I lost my last computer to a lighting strike 2 months ago, used my old laptop while I was getting a new computer and getting it set up. Well, its now set up and I want to put the old emails on the laptop onto the new computer. The laptop has emails going back several years that I might need to access.

I use Outlook Express. I think I should be able to copy the files from my old laptop and put them on the new computer, but I have no idea where I can find the files. Does anyone know where they are stored, and what extension they use? I plan on using a 1G thumb drive to move them, I have used it to move a lot of stuff from the laptop to the new computer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

Hi Steve.

I use Express Assist ver 8 on my W2K machine and ver 9 on my XP machine.

See the following link.
http://ajsystems.com/index.html

The software is fabulous. It does all that it says.

The support is first class - really!!

I use it to back up my OE6 and to restore any OE file of folder and my internet settings, favourites etc.

You can recover any file or folder etc. and its easy to use. I usually use it at least weekly. I keep all my back-ups for 3 months as the number of times I've needed to recover a file etc. that I've deleted from my "working" OE is quite a few and it saved my bacon - well and truly.

My OE6 is just about 100% reliable and stable - hardly ever a problem and I give mine a lot of use. With EA software my OE8 and 9 are at least as good as Outlook and perhaps some others.

It works beautifully across my Ethernet net-work.

I'd suggest that you install EA on both computers and if you are not net-worked just copy the EA back-up files from the old to the new computer, start up EA and just "restore" your new computer to be a clone of the older computer. I've done it several times and it has worked every time - 100%.

I hope this helps.

Steve Steven
11-08-2007, 11:47 PM
I tried to do what I thought would work and it didn't. I copied the files from the laptop onto a thumb drive, put the thumb drive into the new machine, and copied them into the location on the new machine. I changed the filename so I wouldn't overwrite the existing file. However, the new files did not show up when I opened up Outlook Express.

I will try Jasons method next, see if that works.

Steve

lazlo
11-09-2007, 09:10 AM
I copied the files from the laptop onto a thumb drive, put the thumb drive into the new machine, and copied them into the location on the new machine.

That sounds like you copied the files into the wrong "identity" folder.

If you browse to to the folder location I posted above, and you have the correct identity, there will be an inbox.dbx file. If you overwrite that file with your old inbox.dbx file from the thumb drive, the old messages will show up on Outlook:

C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{C8457EF8-804C-40A8-A218-3ECBFD560785}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

That blue folder is the OE "identity". There may be more than one Outlook Express identity in the Application Data folder.