PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport power feed motor repair.

lakeside53
11-08-2007, 09:11 PM
As part of my $500 bridgeport (V-ram, 12x42, 1966), I got a 6F or 8F power feed (how do you tell the difference?). Apart from being coverd in a thick layer of congealed oil and chips, I found the problem - the brush holder is broken. It’s has 90V DC motor that was made by Boehm (they were bought out by Baldor in the 80’s).

Does anyone know where to find a catalog for mundane things like brush holders? I've looked on Baldors web site to no avail. I need a round holder 5/8 diameter with top flange and screw-in cap - 1 inch long for an “ordinary” " carbon bush. Apart from that little part, it works great and rest of the motor and gearbox is in great shape.

JCD
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
I was faced with same problem a short time ago, no brush holder.
As it turns out it was a nice project to make.

Bill Pace
11-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I have one of the Chinee PF's that the smoke got loose from the circuit board while trying to replace the potentiometer and I've hung onto it. The brush holder is close to those dims --- no doubt they are mm--- but youre welcome to it if you think it might could be made to adapt.

Send me a PM and we'll compare closer, and I can take a pix of it, etc

J. R. Williams
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
As previously noted- time to get busy and make a new one. You should check the armature before spending a lot of time with a growler and a megger to insure it does not have any shorts or grounded conductors. An old motor repair shop might have a 'universal' brush holder that will form a basis for a new one.

JRW

paulx
11-09-2007, 10:32 AM
High Quality Tools,Inc.

lakeside53
11-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes.. I have since found replacements at H&W- but at $23.68 plus freight for a $2 holder, I'll keep looking (but I do have a fall-back if I need too..). And does anyone actually pay $29 for 6004 bearings? The holders are still made in the USA (and other places) - just a matter of finding someone that has "one" for sale. I sure I've thrown out a zillion old motors and appliances with the "right" holder.. never again ;)

As from making a new one- yep.. before I found the actual item, thought of that. If looked pretty easy to find two holders, machine up a new base for the motor to fit the two brushes and bearing. But too many projects... like two BP's in a 1000 pieces...

The armature looks new (apart from some backed/caked oil that had leaked from the gearbox). It actually ran really well and only when I took it apart to clean the inches of gummy filth off it (paint came off also), I found the broken brush holder.

Anyone know what a motor shop would use to clean the field coils and armature? I don't want to affect the insulation or whatever they use to stabalize the windings.

Steve Steven
11-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Boca Bearings ( http://www.bocabearings.com/ ) has 6004 bearings for about $10 to $20 depending on seals/shields/material.
Steve