PDA

View Full Version : End Mill Quality

KiloBravo
11-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Hi,

I just won a bunch of end mills in an auction { not Ebay :) }. They are mostly Niagara (USA) and Sossner (Japan?). What's the quality of these two brands ? I assume they are pretty decent. I have had no issues with them, just curious.

Thanks,
Kevin

sch
11-09-2007, 06:42 PM
High to very high quality.

BadDog
11-09-2007, 07:53 PM
Don't know about Sossner, but Niagra(sp?) is top line from what I've seen. At least I've had very good service from the Niagras I've used.

SGW
11-09-2007, 08:31 PM
They're both top names for quality. Assuming the end mills you got aren't worn, they ought to serve you well.

dalee100
11-09-2007, 08:42 PM
Hi,

Niagara mills make a most satisfying "snapping" sound when they break.:D Hey, sometimes one can forget to edit feeds and speeds when re-using a program:eek: :eek:

Sossner tend to cost more than Niagara.

dalee

5Bears
11-10-2007, 09:56 AM
Both are excellent quality cutters. One of the things beginners often fail to recognize is that there is a reason a good mill cutter costs a bunch of $$. They usually buy that box of "20 END MILLS TICN!!! $40!!!!" from eBay or ENCO, and wonder why their cuts are ragged and poor quality. A good end mill costs more than $2. The accuracy of the grind, geometry, and sharpness, all combine to make a good cutter fairly expensive.

There's one exception IMO - a cheapo ruffer generally works well since you are leaving some material behind for cleanup, anyhow.

KiloBravo
11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
How did you know I bought the cheapo box first ? I bought A lot of cheap crap to get started and have been looking for good stuff at local auctions.

I bought a box of 200 end mills for $50 at a machine shop auction. They are all razor sharp. Looks like I got a great deal ! :D

Thanks for the info.

~Kevin