PDA

View Full Version : Mill shopping

Tyro 001
11-11-2007, 09:19 PM
I'm in the market for a milling machine. I'm currently considering both used and new, i.e. Grizzly. Any advice on how to check a used mill would be appreciated. Any opinions on the Grizzly mills also appreciated. I bought a new Grizzly lathe about 20 months ago, and so far it seems to be fairly decent.

SGW
11-12-2007, 07:47 AM
Try searching the archives for the model numbers of specific machines you may be interested in. The merits/deficiencies of assorted milling machines have been well flogged in previous threads, so you should find a lot of the information you're looking for.

Bill Pace
11-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Can you break it down a bit?? After all, there is quite a range of size - and type--, little bench tops to the monsters...and in this group, there is probably someone who has one (or more) of each type

What model/size Grizz lathe did you chose?

Peter01
11-12-2007, 06:34 PM
I recently purchased a milling machine similar to the Grizzly G0463 Drill/Mill and found it very good for my needs, i.e, an amateur machinist attempting to build small gauge 1 locos.
I'm not a 'fitter and turner' by trade so my recommendations may be a bit off the mark for your needs.

Tyro 001
11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
The lathe is a 13.5 X 40, model # 4016. The Grizzly mills I'm looking are the model 9002 ( I think) and up. In other words a Bridgeport clone. I looked at a nice South Bend (Lathe) mill this weekend. I would have bought it, but I have no way of transporting it, and a mover wanted $1500 to haul it the 150 miles to to my place. Grizzly will deliver theirs to my place for $450 give or take, and a fork lift to move into my garage will cost $400 for 24hr. Since it will cost about half to move a new Grizzly of what it would move a used mill assuming the used mill were no more than 150mi away, I'm leaning towards a Grizzly.

I tried the archives, but didn't get anywhere. I assume I do a search on Grizzly 9002, or is there something else I need to do to get into the archives.

wingnutt
11-16-2007, 04:43 PM
I was going to buy that same mill, i had once drooled on it up at the showroom,

i found a nice index mill, and got 3axis dro's and VDF's,
all for alot less than grizzlys,bran new, machine,
i brought mine home on a car-trailer,

check into renting a trailer?
to haul a used one home,

i love my old iron,

EI

http://s228.photobucket.com/albums/ee209/elginiron/

The lathe is a 13.5 X 40, model # 4016. The Grizzly mills I'm looking are the model 9002 ( I think) and up. In other words a Bridgeport clone. I looked at a nice South Bend (Lathe) mill this weekend. I would have bought it, but I have no way of transporting it, and a mover wanted $1500 to haul it the 150 miles to to my place. Grizzly will deliver theirs to my place for $450 give or take, and a fork lift to move into my garage will cost $400 for 24hr. Since it will cost about half to move a new Grizzly of what it would move a used mill assuming the used mill were no more than 150mi away, I'm leaning towards a Grizzly.

I tried the archives, but didn't get anywhere. I assume I do a search on Grizzly 9002, or is there something else I need to do to get into the archives.

motomoron
11-16-2007, 05:24 PM
The difference in quality, solidity, longevity, and general "niceness" between current Chinese machines and old US made machines is immense. Speaking as someone who has spent many hours making parts (and $$) on a Chinese Smithy Granite 3-in-1 machine at home, but who sought out used machines when equipping shop at work, I've experienced this first hand.

If you have the space, I'd absolutely go for US stuff, or Taiwanese as a 2nd choice. No room for a Bridgeport? look for a Powermatic/Burke Millrite, a fine "baby Bridgeport". For the shop at work I found a 1969 Bridgeport vari-speed which had been essentially unused since 1984 in an astrophysics shop at a local university. With 3 axis Mitutoyo DROs, Kurt and Bridgeport 6" vises, a 10"rotary table, a huge sine plate, collets, chucks, and a crate of miscellaneous toling the whole lot was about $5k. It runs like new, and will do anything I ask.

BigBoy1
11-17-2007, 07:32 AM
I had looked for a used Bridgeport machine and found the samething you did. Moving it was one of the problems but the biggest one I found was the condition of the machine. For example, advertised as "in good working condition" but was covered with rust. Looked like it hadn't run in the past 5 years!

After being disapointed several time, I decided to stop wasting my time trying to find a "good" used machine and ended up getting a new Grizzly 9902 mill. I drove to Muncy, PA and had them load the machine on my trailer and hauled it back to NC. I rented a pallet jacket and with ramps made from 2x10's supported every 2 feet, I was able to unload the mill from the trailer. My trailer is low to the ground, bed is about 20" above the ground. I used a come-along to winch the mill on the pallet jack down the ramp. Once off the trailer, it was concrete to the location I put the mill.

I really like the mill. I does everything I want to do and have not been disapointed with it. Have used to make many different things and still learning how to use all the features it has.

Bill