PDA

View Full Version : Guitar fingers and machining

rbregn
11-12-2007, 08:30 AM
Ok, I'm in China and decided I needed a hobby, beings how all my toys are stateside awaiting my return. So I took up guitar. My fretting fingers have callouses built up and I seem to have lost some feeling in my finger tips to boot. It causes me minor problems at work. Examples, I can't tell if I have small parts in my hand, trying to feel different finishes, that kind of thing. I know there are some guitar players on this board. How do you deal with it. I'm guessing I'll get used to it eventually. I only play for about an hour a day. How do these people handle it if they're playing 3 or 4?

tony ennis
11-12-2007, 09:20 AM
There's nothing to be done about it except handle fine parts in your non-fretting hand.

JDF
11-12-2007, 09:50 AM
I've been playing 7 years or so. Over time my callouses have sorta faded away. The skin is still noticeably tougher than my non-fretting hand, but there are no actual callouses anymore. My fingertips were like rocks when I was first getting started. Not really sure when things changed, but probably within the first year or two. I play more now than I ever have and there is no sign of the callouses forming back. Weird.

Your Old Dog
11-12-2007, 12:59 PM
Ok, I'm in China and decided I needed a hobby, beings how all my toys are stateside awaiting my return. So I took up guitar. My fretting fingers have callouses built up and I seem to have lost some feeling in my finger tips to boot. It causes me minor problems at work. Examples, I can't tell if I have small parts in my hand, trying to feel different finishes, that kind of thing. I know there are some guitar players on this board. How do you deal with it. I'm guessing I'll get used to it eventually. I only play for about an hour a day. How do these people handle it if they're playing 3 or 4?

You're not suffering from peripheral neuropathy are you? You ingesting any of the chinese toys? :D

Actually, I went to lighter strings on mine so that I can practice longer. While the move to lighter strings has done wonders for my finger tips it has made absolutly no differance in my playing ability. Not only that but we have a light colored rug in the living room and the wife won't let me bleed on it.

recoilless
11-12-2007, 02:29 PM
rbrgen: Don't sweat it, you will get over it. been playing for years and frankly can't remember having calloused fingers. But, liken it to picking up a hand shovel and digging for a couple of hours. You'll have blisters, etc. after a couple of days, your hands will toughen up and you'll never know the difference untill you shake someone's hand and hear them say, " Oh, you work for a living!!"

RTPBurnsville
11-12-2007, 03:19 PM
I agree with what has already been posted. One additional comment I'll add is to change your strings often. I find as the strings start to corrode they become much harder on the fingers.

rbregn
11-12-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the toothpaste I've been using, candy I've been eating or toys I've been licking!

Your Old Dog
11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the tips, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the toothpaste I've been using, candy I've been eating or toys I've been licking!

Well, if you're sure of all that then you are well on your way to becoming a guitar virtuoso! :D

Swarf&Sparks
11-13-2007, 01:55 AM
Tip for anyone thinking of purchasing their first guitar:
rosewood fretboards do not show bloodstains like maple.

airsmith282
11-13-2007, 09:00 AM
ive been playing guitar for over 20 years now and play a few hours a day and the only time i get rid of the callouse on the fingers is when i stop playing for a month or 2 ata time...
the last few months i have had no time at all to play so my fingers are all normal again, and i always use light guaged strings on my guitar as well i hate the pain part when going back to playing, still happens a bit but not so much sence i went to light guage strings ...

Carld
11-13-2007, 10:58 AM
I too play the guitar and have never found the finger tip calluses to be a problem. My fingers have always been tough from work and the hard tips was not noticable. I guess after a while you adjust to it.

Alistair Hosie
11-13-2007, 11:32 AM
As long as you keep it up you will find things get better. Actually you don't need to put that kind of pressure on the strings, but time will teach you this. Keep it up as the actress said to the bishop:DAlistair

pntrbl
11-13-2007, 09:39 PM
My problem with guitar/piano/etc. is kind of the other way around. The mechanical hobbies I pursue get my hands so tore up the musical becomes impossible sometimes. Got a slice in the tip of my right middle finger healing as I type.

1st time vertical on my new band saw ......

SP

rbregn
11-14-2007, 12:18 AM
I use to have that problem also. Always had at least one cut healing somewhere on my hands and fingers. We used to clean our aircraft with MEK when I was in the service. Just pour some on cheese cloth with our bare hands and wipe the grease away! Hands where like leather then.Smashed a finger once and the sarge made me go get stitches. Bent 2 needles trying to get through my skin. My hands got wimpy in china. I am supposed to be a teacher, not a worker. Altho most days aren't like that. The Chinese don't have the same concept of a mechanic as we do. You have to be educated to get a job. they worry if your skilled later!