PDA

View Full Version : My new ebay offering Diehead #2

cybor462
11-12-2007, 11:36 PM
Many have seen my heavy duty floating diehead I am getting ready to release. I thought I should make a smaller lighter duty one for the hobby guys. Many have smaller machines and I thought..what the heck, go for it.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/diehead.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/diehead1.jpg
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cybor462/diehead2.jpg

This one the main body is all aluminum with the mounting arbor made from steel and slightly case hardened. I will be offering these with an MT2 taper as in picture and also the drill chuck arbor that many here did not like.
Another difference this one will only accept a 1" die and they mount directly in the head unlike the other model that uses adapters to mount the dies.

I have used the heavy duty version many times while testing it and I used it with the drill chuck arbor and I was not able to get it to spin in the drill chuck. I did however purposely leave the major diameter too large and ran the die on to see what would happen and it slipped in my collet and not the chuck. I am confident the drill chuck arbor is safe and works well.

This version is knurled, picture (cell phone) does not do the knurling justice as it is real pretty and has a perfect diamond pattern.

I know you guys like pics. I hesitated as I do not want any to think I am trying to sell these here. I do that on ebay and on my website.
I am just showing off thats all.

No disclaimers I am too tired!;)

SDconcepts
11-13-2007, 09:31 AM
the only thing i would add is a handle or two or three to be able to spin that onto stronger material. turning and threading plastic i don't see to be a big deal but try doing some stainless and forget it.

Bill Pace
11-13-2007, 10:08 AM
I think I agree with the handles, there WILL come a time when you would welcome some added grip, and its a simple enough thing to incorporate --- even 2-3 threaded holes in, say 5/16 or 3/8 that a person could screw in a 3-4" bolt when needed.

But thats nice Klem, you just might be on to sumpthin

cybor462
11-13-2007, 11:30 AM
the only thing i would add is a handle or two or three to be able to spin that onto stronger material. turning and threading plastic i don't see to be a big deal but try doing some stainless and forget it.
For those that did not see the other thread...

Both die heads are floating but are pinned so they are locked. I did not want a tommy handle because as a very small business, just starting out I do not want nor can I afford a law suit due to injury. Having a large handle that sticks out of the head that when released will allow the head to spin free with the spindle is not what I want. That handle that sticks out 4-6" would be spinning with the spindle and if the user were to get their hand between that and the tool post or anything else they would have at the least broken fingers. Then the legal sh*t starts.

I pinned these so the head follows the thread and extends until you reach the end point for the thread. You then simply turn off the spindle and it stops like a brake. You reverse the spindle and the head retracts off the work.

I have tested the other version and it works flawlessly. There were a few objections saying that if something where to happen you need a way to stop the threading quickly. There is, turn off the spindle or machine. Very easy and there is no injury.

I tried to create problems while threading. Each time by turning off the spindle immediately stopped the threading with no ill effects.

I also left the major diameter of a part way large and ran the head on. Of course it froze and then spun the part in the collar. I turned off the spindle and all was fine. I can't make anything bad happen. I am sure someone somewhere could but that is true with anything.

For an HSM that wants to make one of these they can make it how they like. When you are making something you intend to sell you have to put yourself in every users pants and with todays sue happy life style I have to build caution into the design. This time it all works.

To add a note...I have threaded 5/16 SS with no problems. I do not see why I would run into trouble with the larger stuff. This head will only accept 1" dies so it is limited but I feel it is for the hobby market where mostly smaller stuff is made.
The larger head is a beast and that would accept 1.5" dies thru the adapters supplied with it. Not really a hobby tool more for serious home shop guys.

Alistair Hosie
11-13-2007, 11:42 AM
nicely made wel done. Alistair

Bill Pace
11-13-2007, 11:45 AM
Nuff said! ---- All valid points and I agree...